Help Needed! Food help!!?!?

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Hi All,

just got my new family member last Thursday and I have notice that she is not eating her food. She will grab a kibble or two and walk away to eat it throughout the day as this is what she has been doing since her arrival. I also mixed in some Fromm food (beef) in the as well and still she is not eating much but what is funny is that if I put it in my hand or lay it on the floor and feed her she will eat it.... Ummmmm??

also I have notice that she uses the bathroom maybe twice a day as well. (She does drink a lot of water but doesn't use to bathroom much) Do you guys think she is still trying to adjust? What's you thoughts?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How old is Koko, and what kind of food was she eating when she came to you? Part of it could be the normal stress of a new home and surroundings, but a bully not inhaling their food? Lol I've never encountered that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would think she could be adjusting. It took Cutty a few days to start eating. Maybe ad in a spoonful of cottage cheese or yogurt to get her attention? It is good for her torso why not?

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
How old is Koko, and what kind of food was she eating when she came to you? Part of it could be the normal stress of a new home and surroundings, but a bully not inhaling their food? Lol I've never encountered that.

She was on Royal Canine.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How old is she?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my two came from the breeder on Royal Canin as well, the breeder said it was a good food, and I asked my vet, and she said the same thing. I left them on this food because they were young, and I didn't want to upset their stomachs. I wasn't totally happy with all the fillers and corn in the food, so I switched them at 6 months old, to Go Natural, a food I was familiar with that I knew was a good food, the food was too rich, and they developed diarrhea , and Dozer started to eat his poop, so I switched them back. That's when I started looking for a healthier, dog food, I googled , and that's how I actually found this website. I joined and found the forum on Dog food ratings, and decided to try the Fromms Puppy Gold. My male Dozer did ok, but my female Blossom didn't tolerate it very well. I started suspecting she had either a sensitivity or an allergy to corn, grains, or chicken in these foods, so at 7 months old , I took them off puppy food and put them on the adult Fromms Beef Fritata. They are both doing fine on this food, and Blossom is not pink in her ears, or chin anymore. Whenever I switched them, I used 1/3 of the old bag mixed with 2/3 of the new food until they got used to it. You didn't mention how old your dog is, she looks young from the picture. If she is under 7 months, I would leave her on puppy food, for the extra calories, and vitamins as she is still growing and developing. She might just be stressed from moving, and come around in a few days, but if she doesn't start eating soon, then I would take her to a vet, to make sure she isn't sick, plus you don't want her to dehydrate. Hopefully she is drinking. You mentioned that she will eat out of your hand, so maybe you have to hand fed her for a couple of days to get her used to you and her surroundings. Hope she picks up soon, and is ok. Let us know how she's doing. Good luck. Also try reading the articles regarding dog food ratings. You could also ask some others on this site, who know more about foods, such as Cowsmom, and Desertskybulldogs .

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it's ok to feed out of your hand to get her started....she will accordingly learn who the leader of the pack is. we sometimes had to hand feed Lola (and still do about once a month) because some bullies just don't care to eat kibble. we always added a topping of cottage cheese, cream cheese mixed in, or boiled chicken. And she definately didn't like the wellness puppy she was brought home with, so we had to try out a few kibbles as well. ask your pet food store for some samples maybe.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can you help with this???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what kind of bowl are you using? Does she have a collar on while eating?

I knew bully that would not eat out of ceramic or stainless... had to have plastic bowl and sometimes I had to take his collar off... just strange eating habits.

Sometimes, my boy, Nitschke had to be hand fed, just because he was too tired to eat.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would ask the breeder if she free fed the pups. It seems like that is a possibility. If so, she knows she has all access to food so she is in no hurry to gobble it up. Is she eating a decent amount throughout the day?

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
what kind of bowl are you using? Does she have a collar on while eating?

I knew bully that would not eat out of ceramic or stainless... had to have plastic bowl and sometimes I had to take his collar off... just strange eating habits.

Sometimes, my boy, Nitschke had to be hand fed, just because he was too tired to eat.

its a stainless bowl and yes she does have her collar on

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
I would ask the breeder if she free fed the pups. It seems like that is a possibility. If so, she knows she has all access to food so she is in no hurry to gobble it up. Is she eating a decent amount throughout the day?

matter of fact the breeder said that he feeds all his dogs 2 1/2 cups in the morning once a day. You think that might have something to do with it??

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
She finishes about 1 - 1 1/2 cups a day still

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
its a stainless bowl and yes she does have her collar on

If you have tags on the collar and they are hitting the bowl.. might be startleing her -- may be take the collar off and see how she does ??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.