Help Needed! Natural Balance Grain Free Limited Ingredien Diett - Legumes and Duck

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Hi There!

Looking for some feedback on Natural Balance Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diet.

I'll be switching my 10 month old EB from Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Puppy. Prior to Blue Buffalo, I had him on Hills Healthy Advantage - Vet Formula and he was fine on it for 4 months, then started chewing and licking his paws and had bald spots. Blue got rid of the licking and bald spots and his coat looks great BUT he is pooping 3 to 4 times a day, where he used to poop only 2 times a day.

Grain free seems to be working, so I like the fact that Natural Balance has the different flavours, like Fromm. My EB won't eat Fromm. Before I had him on Blue, I did try Fromm's Duck and Sweet Potato and he just wouldn't eat it. I brought home Natural Balance Grain Free Legumes/Duck and Fromm Beef Frittata and he inhaled the Natural Balance.

Thanks in advance for your help!:D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
The Natural Balance LID, salmon formula is what turned it all around for Samson when he first started suffering from allergies. We kept him on it for a couple years and he did great. 2 years ago I had to take him off it because he started having yeast/ear infection issues so we went to a potato free food (NVI salmon) to help clear that up. You can see what a difference it made here on the article we did about him and his food allergy issues: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=197-Dog-Food-Change-Story-Meet-Samson

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had been on nb alpha lamb rabbit and chicken but had been licking her paws lately. i just got the nb lid bison and the legume test bags to see which one Lola liked to switch. she hates the fish kibble so it will be bison or legume for us. still not sure if its a chicken allergy or not

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thanks for sharing Samson's story - what a difference. Were the photos taken after NVI or after Natural Balance? I was looking into NVI, as I too have read about potatoes and their link to yeast, but was concerned about their higher level of protein.

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Blue Buffalo that he is on now has Chicken in it, in fact all the foods have been Chicken. So I figure I would try a different protein and see how that goes.

[MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank was on natural balance for a while at first we saw a difference then we started noticing that he wasn't gaining weight. Hes only 2 then a couple months ago when we went to the vet he had lost a lot of weight and allergies were back. He was also eating around 8 cups of food a day! We ended up switching his food and hes already gained weight and allergys are doing better. No more tear stains, his skin between hos toes is now light pink they were a dark pink to red Colorado and hes not going crazy itching anymore. :). I think it just depends on your dog

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

M

mabel lou

This whole time I thought it could be salmon because everything I have bought had salmon in it until I read this article and realized that I also have had potato in each one of them. Now does it matter if it is sweet potato or just potato period? they are on NB duck and potato currently (lid) and the one still has pink face but no longer red like the other brands made her however her eyes still get red sometimes extremely red. So I am going to go through this bag and see if I allow it long enough to either work or not work and if it doesn't I am going to transition then both over to NVI potato free. Thanks
Allergy testing next if that does not help. By the way we have went front itching alot to almost no itching at all, just occasionally like once a day if that. I think we are getting their.

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
What food did you switch Tank to? 8 cups of food is a lot, that will really break the bank - I was confused when I read their daily servings and they had one table for Puppy and one table for Adult. I was going to call them for clarification because the suggested puppy servings are crazy!

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Earthborn holistic great plains feast. Its grain free. He now only eats 2-3 cups of food on this one compared to the 8 cups of the other he seemed to not be able to get full on the other and lost around 15lbs. He has also gained weight since the change. Vet said to keep food out for him till hes gained some more but he always has at least a cup of food left if not more when he goes to bed and we only fill it up once ( it holds 4 cups). Someone on here, wanting to say cowsmom or bullymomma suggested this food to me when I was lookingto switch. There's dogs that do great on natural balance tank just wasn't one of them :(.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thanks. I looked into this food too, but am worried about the higher protein and fat. I guess it is trial and error, as they can be good on one food for months and then not agree with it, which causes a need to switch. Glad you found the one that works for Tank!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks. I looked into this food too, but am worried about the higher protein and fat. I guess it is trial and error, as they can be good on one food for months and then not agree with it, which causes a need to switch. Glad you found the one that works for Tank!

Just to stick my nose in here! :ROFL: Jake is also on Earthborne Holistic..The Great Plains Feast. Doing very well! Now as far as the amount you feed..my vet says..You NEVER follow the bags directions! That's crazy.. 8 cups of food! We are in close contact with Jakes littermates. 3 of his brothers are on Natural Balance and get 2 cups a day. 1 am and 1 pm. They are doing fine on that food too! Good Luck!!

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thank you! I did call Natural Balance's customer service to ask them about their different tables - puppy and adult and they said to stick closer to the adult servings. If it was based on the puppy guidelines that would be nuts and I wouldn't even consider it. Thanks again for letting me know that there has been success on the lower amounts - so much help and makes me feel at ease. Much appreciated.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Just to stick my nose in here! :ROFL: Jake is also on Earthborne Holistic..The Great Plains Feast. Doing very well! Now as far as the amount you feed..my vet says..You NEVER follow the bags directions! That's crazy.. 8 cups of food! We are in close contact with Jakes littermates. 3 of his brothers are on Natural Balance and get 2 cups a day. 1 am and 1 pm. They are doing fine on that food too! Good Luck!!

Tell me about it! you shouldve tried fronting the bill when he was eating 8 cups of the natural balance. it was breaking the bank. :nope: . now with the earthborne he is eating WAY less. its 3:00pm here and he still has a little over half of his bowl full. it fits 4 cups and thats what we put in it every morning. usually though he still has a good cup or two in it the next morning. It is so nice to not be buying dog food constantly.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Tell me about it! you shouldve tried fronting the bill when he was eating 8 cups of the natural balance. it was breaking the bank. :nope: . now with the earthborne he is eating WAY less. its 3:00pm here and he still has a little over half of his bowl full. it fits 4 cups and thats what we put in it every morning. usually though he still has a good cup or two in it the next morning. It is so nice to not be buying dog food constantly.

:ohmy: WOWZIE! If we let Jake free feed..he would blow himself up! Literally! :laugh:

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
:ohmy: WOWZIE! If we let Jake free feed..he would blow himself up! Literally! :laugh:

he actually lost a lot of weight even eating that much. with the earthborn we are up 4lbs and hes eating a lot less so its a win win. vet wants him up at least 10 more lbs so we are free feeding until then even though hes not interested in more food

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.