Help Needed! Currently on Royal Canin Veterinary but want to switch to ???

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Hi, I am in need to some advice...I keep getting different answers. Currently my bully weighs about 62 pounds. She should be 55. My vet put her on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - Calorie Control/High Protein about 1.5 years ago. She has lost 8 pounds but now she has a lot of paw licking, head-shaking and itchiness in her tail.

Any recommendations? I think she may be allergic to something in that food (or the treats I bought from Drs. Foster and Smith). The treats are gone but she still itches a lot.

Help!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Yes I agree with RISI, raw is definately best. She will naturally drop the weight easier and the allergies will be gone :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I personally think Fromm beef is pretty lean-- you only feed 1.5 to 2 c per day and you can add frozen green beans as a filler to help lose weight. If you do switch do it slowly and yes, get off that prescription gunk. :). And welcome to you!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yup I agree with others as far as Royal Canin. Its junky food and the vets always push what they make commission on! The link above the Risi provided will give you a guideline of good rated foods. There is definatley something in the food she is allergic to. I personally love Fromm we currently feed Fromm Beef Frittata and its awesome....Brutus used to lick his paws, scratch his ears, eyes were alwys bloodshot and his coat wasnt good. A montha fter the switch all the above stopped and his coat is amazing....The brand Fromm has a 4star grain free with no bi products and all ingredients we eat. No animal fat and crap thats in RC.

I also as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said give Brutus frozen green beans as a snack/filler. We feed Brutus about 1.5 cups 2x a day. ALot of members feed Fromm with great results and you dont have to feed much b/c the food is good :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I personally think Fromm beef is pretty lean-- you only feed 1.5 to 2 c per day and you can add frozen green beans as a filler to help lose weight. If you do switch do it slowly and yes, get off that prescription gunk. :). And welcome to you!! Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

This is exactly what I do for Banks... Fromm Beef Fritatta with frozen green beans or carrots as treats. Banks was on raw for a few years but she developed colitis so her body could no longer handle the natural bacteria in raw food so i had to switch to kibble.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.