General Question SOO many options for Food!

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Brutus is 16 weeks old, and currently on Blue Buffallo Basic Grain Free Puppy. I know it's not the best, but was easily accessible for us. This is my predicament.... He is super healthy, loves his food, except his eyes water/run (no tear stains though, I clean his face every day) I also noticed today, that he was itching at his ears and shaking his head around. I'm not sure if that is from his food, an allergy or what at this point since it just started.

I have read some things that say you should keep your EBD on puppy food till they are a year, and others that say any where from 4-8 months?

We also have two Jack Russell Terriers, one of which is over weight (on steroids for the rest of her life) So we are trying to switch her to a better, healthier food. As of now they are both on Authority Diet, but don't seem to really love it, but eat it. Mary Kate is 10 & Marlee Mae is 3. Now that Marlee has Brutus she is no longer over weight.

Could I switch all of them to a non-grain adult diet food, or keep Brutus on a puppy food?

How long did you keep your babies on puppy food?

I've read the 6* foods and am thinking Fromm Grain Free or Blue Buffallo Wilderness, what have all of you seen as the best results?

What is everyone feeding as treats? I wanted to get antlers, but know that Mary would just take them and run.

Any info/advise would be great :) I just can't seem to decide, and we are coming to an end of their current bags of food.

P.S. - Sorry for such a long post, and so many questions, so here are some pictures of Brutus & crew to make it better

I love to lick my Dad's head
Brutus-11-8-12.jpgBrutus 11-8-12.1.jpg
Mom it's not bed time, it's PLAY time
Brutus 11-8-12.2.jpg
Are you done w/ that camera yet?
Brutus 11-8-12.3.jpg

Mary Kate lounging in HER chair
Mary 11-01-12.jpg
Marlee Mae mad because Brutus is hogging her FAVE toy
Marlee 11-8-12.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well there is no 1 perfect food but personally I LOVE fromm grain free and if you are considering it then yes I think you should try it. Now with puppies, I can never remember when you can feed it, I wanna think it is good for all stages but could be wrong. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] knows I think.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Puppy food has lots of ingredients that puppies need while growing so fast. Regular food, generally doesn't. 4 months is rather young imho to take him off of puppy food. Take a close look in his ears for any sign of redness.... it almost sounds like an ear infection but could be just an allergy popping up.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Well there is no 1 perfect food but personally I LOVE fromm grain free and if you are considering it then yes I think you should try it. Now with puppies, I can never remember when you can feed it, I wanna think it is good for all stages but could be wrong. @Davidh knows I think.

I think it looks like the best ingredients and love that it's grain free, also though about Taste of The Wild

Puppy food has lots of ingredients that puppies need while growing so fast. Regular food, generally doesn't. 4 months is rather young imho to take him off of puppy food. Take a close look in his ears for any sign of redness.... it almost sounds like an ear infection but could be just an allergy popping up.

His ears aren't red, they seem to get a lot of dirt in them though. So I'm having to clean them out every few days w/ his wipes that I use on his face.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Taste of the wild is a good one also. We used it some time back but like the fromm better for my pups. Just remember what works for me, might not work for you. I have gone thru MANY varieties of food over the years. Now my problem is Miila and allergies. always something! lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
FROMM is an all stage food, so you can switch Brutus to it now, just do a slow transition. Him scratching at his ear and shacking his head, sounds like an ear infection. Check his ear and if it has a smell to it, that is an infection.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I had Franklin on blue buffalo basics grain free he was doing ok on it but. :poo: 6 times a day switched him to blue buffalo wilderness salmon he got really bad tear stains very ruff &dull coat he started to get these yeasty spots on him but he only :poo: twice a day now he is on Fromm four star beef frittata veg its only been a day that he only had the Fromm but I kinda see a difference already his his eyes are clearer an not so pink his :poo: looks better to but ill keep you posted on how he's doing

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
personally i think more have had good results with fromm grain free then blue wilderness but both are good foods but i think fromm is higher quality myself. good luck and keep us posted.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I switched my two to Fromms Beef Fritata from Puppy food when they were 6 months old, my female Blossom has a lot of sensitivity to what we suspect chicken , corn, fillers? The two came from the breeder on Royal Canin , and we switched them to Go Natural, but got soupy poopies, and Blossom was very pink , so put them on Fromms Puppy Gold, Bulldozer did fine on this food, but again Blossom didn't tolerate it very well, we switched them to the Fromms Beef Fritata, when they were 7 months old, and both are doing well on this food. For their treats, we give them wellness soft chews, Duck and Turkey, or the Salmon one, they get cut up apples, peeled and seeds out, the seeds are not good for them, we give them baby carrots, I cut them up, because they tend to eat too fast, and don't always chew their food. I give them plain unsweetened yogurt , strawberries, cheese or cottage cheese once in a while, and they get a hard boiled egg once or twice a week.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.