Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Would it be okay to add the salmon oil to a salmon based food or is it overkill? We also give nuvet supplements.

I do :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman loves it and it did make his coat shine. But I think he might be allergic to it because his eyes stayed red, ears waxy, etc - when I stopped giving it to him, they cleared up. Could be coincidence that summer pollen was ending (or a host of other things) so I might try it again later in the winter after a few months. But I agree it's great stuff! I love that you can just squirt it on.

Feb 1, 2010
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I don't have the option to post. :/

hi! Desertskybulldogs here, this is my test acct here, as a member, I was able to post in that forum. Is there no quick reply box in the posts? Members cannot start a NEW topic, but they should be able to reply to exisiting ones :up:

DawgPoundBully

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel
I have been using it for about a two weeks now and I have seen a huge difference in his coat. It is very shiny and silky smooth. His coat is very soft. Im glad that I started using salmon oil. I cant wait to see how his coat is once he has been on it for a few months.

I only use one squirt on his food at each feeding because his stoole softened up a little so I am allowing his stomach to get used to it then I will go with the suggested dosage.

Again this stuff is amazing. I wonder how well the other brands work but why stop a good thing when this is a proven winner.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Herman loves it and it did make his coat shine. But I think he might be allergic to it because his eyes stayed red, ears waxy, etc - when I stopped giving it to him, they cleared up. Could be coincidence that summer pollen was ending (or a host of other things) so I might try it again later in the winter after a few months. But I agree it's great stuff! I love that you can just squirt it on.

Brutus seems to be sensitive to salmon foods, don't know about the salmon oil for him either.

I tried Avoderm's grain free salmon and he broke out in sores and face/wrinkles stayed sore.

Changed him to their Red Meat Meal formula and his allergies cleared up, his thinning hair thickened
and gleams, all sores cleared up as well and I stopped his daily allergy pill and seems as if he only
needs it when the Season's change. His smelly, constant farting stopped as well as horrible goopy
eye boogers.

Have you tried coconut oil to strengthen his immune system, it's worked well for us...use the cold
pressed, organic...I take it as well
:)

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A tad 'off topic' but related since many feed their bullies salmon but yet some bullies,
mine included, react to salmon foods. I've been researching this and I believe more of our
bullies could eat the salmon foods just fine but they react to the CHEMICAL PRESERVATIVES
used to keep the salmon from going rancid...not all companies use the most common offenders
in their salmon, therefore, those salmon foods aren't reacted too like the other foods.

I'll bet most of our bullies could eat fresh salmon except those with a true allergy to salmon.

Also, those bullies w/sensitive tummies could find salmon (and some other meats) just TOO
rich...Brutus seems to have this reaction quite a bit. I was in a feed store and decided to pick
up TOTW grain free w/lamb (as I was almost out of his Avoderm Red Meat Meal & didn't want
to go across town) and thought he might like something different...BIG mistake!

Even tho I had some to mix w/the TOTW, he threw up and has started the constant, smelly farting.
I was so enjoying fresh, clean air especially as Brutus sleeps w/his butt FACING me (he faces the
door in a protective mode, always). He's been on the TOTW/AVODERM mix 2 weeks now but I'm
taking him off...it's not worth it! I believe it's just too rich for his tummy and he seems sensitive to
lamb as well.

Just my theories, I research a lot about nutrition, allergies, etc as I suffer immune problems because
of autoimmune diseases and am sensitive to many of the same issues our bullies have to foods, the
environment, chemicals, etc.

I have changed the way I eat and live, I supplement my organic, whole foods, chemical & preservative
diet and avoid household chemicals & toxic products completely and do so w/my pets. No toxic meds,
flea or tick treatments, vaccinations or heartworm preventatives, deworming, etc...only natural and
non poisonous treatments & products are given them. They are thriving and are pest free. I so regret
giving my former pets all the VET reccomended shots and poisonous pest control applied. It was giving
my cat, CoCo (10 y/o at the time now 13 y/o) Frontline because of fleas and almost losing her that made
me understand this stuff was bad!

I encourage everyone to read a holistic Vet, Dr Karen Becker, excellent advice and follow her protocols
and watch your pets thrive and live a better, healthier life and longer life, together, with you!

After all, being together as long as possible is what we all wish for...may GOD bless us & our beloved pets!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Texas Carol;272058[B said:
I have changed the way I eat and live, I supplement my organic, whole foods, chemical & preservative
FREE diet and avoid household chemicals & toxic products completely and do so w/my pets.[/B]

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Brutus seems to be sensitive to salmon foods, don't know about the salmon oil for him either.

I tried Avoderm's grain free salmon and he broke out in sores and face/wrinkles stayed sore.

Changed him to their Red Meat Meal formula and his allergies cleared up, his thinning hair thickened
and gleams, all sores cleared up as well and I stopped his daily allergy pill and seems as if he only
needs it when the Season's change. His smelly, constant farting stopped as well as horrible goopy
eye boogers.

Have you tried coconut oil to strengthen his immune system, it's worked well for us...use the cold
pressed, organic...I take it as well
:)

Yes!! Herman has been on coconut oil for months! I think I started that before I gave him the salmon oil - and even when I was giving it to him, I was alternating it in meals. I use Nutiva. I havent started taking it, but I use it in cooking and also in my hair. That's amazing stuff. I baked him some cookies with coconut flour too :blink:

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes!! Herman has been on coconut oil for months! I think I started that before I gave him the salmon oil - and even when I was giving it to him, I was alternating it in meals. I use Nutiva. I havent started taking it, but I use it in cooking and also in my hair. That's amazing stuff. I baked him some cookies with coconut flour too :blink:

Excellent! You can use it as a great SKIN MOISTERIZER and taken it internally, as well
as strengthening your immune system, it is a natural energy source and can be used
to lose weight. I use 'Nature's Way' EfaGold...a pure, extra virgin, organic that is cold
pressed & unrefined. Never heat in a microwave (to a liquid form) but put in a small
container and place in a larger bowl of hot water if needed to soften the solid cream.
Makes a delicious spread on toast or biscuit...YUM!!!

One thing, it does take awhile for results to show so give it time to work.

Coconut Oil can be used as a antibacterial, antimicrobioti agent to cleanse the mouth
in a powerful yet gentle way. Swish the oil around in the mouth for about 5-10 minutes
as you go about your morning routine then spit out-not down your drains, it can clog them.

It collects toxins, bacteria, etc...so WHY you don't want to swallow! Brush afterwards as
usual. You will need less dental cleanings and much shorter cleaning sessions as teeth
whiten, placque lessens and breath is sweeter. It pays for itself in less $$$'s at the Dentist!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We started giving it to Bacon because of this thread and it has done wonders for his coat and skin issue he was dealing with, you guys rock, never would have figured that one out on my own

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
this might be a dumb question or a lazy one at that but is there a difference between wild alaskan salmon oil and grizzly salmon oil or is it just liek a brand thign? jsut wondering cuase I feed Ellie the wild alaskan salmon and I really dont see the results as you guys state so maybe it is different?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Not sure, the grizzly salmon oil is the brand, it is alaskan salmon oil with a little rosemary extract in it

[MENTION=5756]tanito00[/MENTION]

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
See a lot of happy users of salmon oil! Should this be added to a food if it already has it listed in the ingredients? Will be using Fromm puppy and it has salmon oil in it. Don't want to overdo anything!! Please advise!

Most Reactions