URGENT!!! Food change

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Hi all,

I have found that my puppy had problems with his current food(Natural Balance ultra premium formula), he got soft stool after his first two meals,(I think it is ok), but serious stool loose after the dinner(the poop like the way he pee, like liquid). So I have bought a Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon Meal Formula today, and I want to change his food tomorrow, here is a question, do I need to make the process slowly or completely change to salmon formula without Natural Balance food?

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Some pics of bubu. 4655204.jpg4655209.jpg4655205.jpg

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hey there....well you are supposed to make the transition very gradual.

I am sure some people with way more knowledge will weigh in soon....you don't want your baby getting dehydrated,, so I understand your urgency. Perhaps consult a vet at this point? Liquid diarrhea isn't good.....are you sure it is the food? Could it be a parasite or bacterial infection?

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Hey there....well you are supposed to make the transition very gradual.

I am sure some people with way more knowledge will weigh in soon....you don't want your baby getting dehydrated,, so I understand your urgency. Perhaps consult a vet at this point? Liquid diarrhea isn't good.....are you sure it is the food? Could it be a parasite or bacterial infection?

Really thank you for the concern, I have checked with the vet, the test showed he is in a good condition. I do not worry about he will get dehydrated because he is full of energy, and drink lots of water everyday. I gave him 2 cups at morning, 1.7cups at lunch, and 1.5 cups at dinner. By the way he is a 13 week old baby. I just cant understand why after his two meal, he had really good poop.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: when I changed Franklin's food that didn't agree with him his first two. :poo: were good but after that he had liquid diarrhea for 5 days straight I stopped the food put him back on what he was on before an then started to change he food gradually it took about 2 weeks so he didn't get liquid. :poo: again so if he has diarrhea he can't handle the food so I would stop it right away an get him on something else good luck not all food agrees with Franklin he's 6 months an I'm still trying to find a great food for him

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Puppies can get diarrhea for a plethora of reasons; some serious, some not. If you've already ruled out a parasite (good first step!) and he was on this food when he came home to you, perhaps he's just stressed from changing homes. Diarrhea happens --- but its the duration of the episode is the real cause for concern. When my wee pups experienced tummy troubles, I always just put them on a "bland diet" for a couple of days and then slowly introduced the kibble back into their diet.

My Bland Diet Recipe
1 Large Can Canned Chicken with juice
1 Uncle Ben's Boil in Bag Rice (makes two cups)
Mix together - don't completely drain the rice, leaving some of the liquid because rice water helps diarrhea

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] <== I've tagged my gastroinologist because I think you're over feeding that pup. Too much food can also cause diarrhea or very loose stools.

Your pup is a adorable. Congrats on your new baby!

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
:butterfly: when I changed Franklin's food that didn't agree with him his first two. :poo: were good but after that he had liquid diarrhea for 5 days straight I stopped the food put him back on what he was on before an then started to change he food gradually it took about 2 weeks so he didn't get liquid. :poo: again so if he has diarrhea he can't handle the food so I would stop it right away an get him on something else good luck not all food agrees with Franklin he's 6 months an I'm still trying to find a great food for him

Thank you so much. What food is Franklin trying now?

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Puppies can get diarrhea for a plethora of reasons; some serious, some not. If you've already ruled out a parasite (good first step!) and he was on this food when he came home to you, perhaps he's just stressed from changing homes. Diarrhea happens --- but its the duration of the episode is the real cause for concern. When my wee pups experienced tummy troubles, I always just put them on a "bland diet" for a couple of days and then slowly introduced the kibble back into their diet.

My Bland Diet Recipe
1 Large Can Canned Chicken with juice
1 Uncle Ben's Boil in Bag Rice (makes two cups)
Mix together - don't completely drain the rice, leaving some of the liquid because rice water helps diarrhea

@cowsmom <== I've tagged my gastroinologist because I think you're over feeding that pup. Too much food can also cause diarrhea or very loose stools.

Your pup is a adorable. Congrats on your new baby!

I do think I am really overfeed his food. I misunderstand that he need two cups per meal (it is my first time to adopt a puppy), so I gave him 6 cups daily. Oh my goooood!!!!! Even so much food, he will always lick his dish, seems like he is still hungry. Hope everything is fine.

L

Lucy-licious

I would also go bland and let his little tummy settle......feed 1 tenth if his body weight. I would also add some mixed veg in with the rice n chicken so that he still gets some of his vitamins.
My Billy is struggling with food and currently back on bland diet whilst we wait for a new bag if food. Every other day we give him a boiled egg and twice a week we add pilchards too xx

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I hope he gets better soon! He is absolutely gorgeous:loveeyes:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I do think I am really overfeed his food. I misunderstand that he need two cups per meal (it is my first time to adopt a puppy), so I gave him 6 cups daily. Oh my goooood!!!!! Even so much food, he will always lick his dish, seems like he is still hungry. Hope everything is fine.

Wow yes!!!!! Six cups a day is FAR too much food!!! It would certainly explain the loose stools.

What food was he on when you first got him?? The Natural Balance or something else????

Also, how long has he been with you???

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Wow yes!!!!! Six cups a day is FAR too much food!!! It would certainly explain the loose stools.

What food was he on when you first got him?? The Natural Balance or something else????

Also, how long has he been with you???

Here is a story, when I decide to adopt a bulldog puppy, I went to online and find a breeder, he said he can give me for free since his father got cancer and he need to take care of him. what he want from me is $350 transportation fee. I think I can help him and ask when can I get the puppy. He said the next day, so when I ask him what food was he on, the breeder tell me mix the bil jac(small breed formula) and Proplan9(small breed formula). After several days, he is disappeared. So I found another breeder, she is a good person, we bought Bubu from her. We have checked with vet, she said it is ok to feed him with these two food, and we feed him about 12days, and we graduated changed to Natural Balance. He is with us from 9/28/12.
I am really worry about him right now, and want to take a full-wellness exam for him next week, is it necessary?

OP
bububaby

bububaby

Oct 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bubu
Please helped me!!! I would do anything for him, just want to give him a happiness life.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Have you cut back on his food? My 4 month eats 1/2 cup 3 times a day and my vet says I'm still feeding him too much. My full grown bullies on at 2 cups a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online