Help Needed! Orijen Dog Food...

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I haven't thought about mixing her Orijen with TOTW food. I always heard that it was not good to mix together and should always stick with one brand.

Is there a particular brand or Orijen anyone prefer? Today I bought the blue bad Orijen with Free-Run chicken & turkey with wild caught fish and whole eggs or at least that's what is says on the bag. I was going to switch her on Monday slowly and see what happens.

Has any one else tried that kind of Orijen?

Dublin is doing good on both. the TOTW has less protein but both are grain free and that is the important part with Dublin. I use the Orijen Red because I can't stand the smell of the fish either going in or coming out :barf:

Mazza81

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuncho
Hi I've been reading your thread your little girl is adorable!! I have a 10 week old puppy and am currently feeding her Orijen puppy and she's doing great. I also have TOTW bags to feed her next and was thinking about mixing the two but also heard it wasn't the best to mix but I would love to. If anyone else has any feedback on mixing the two would be great.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
@mdn525 Which bag of Acana did you feed her

Last edited:
OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Thanks [MENTION=6031]Mazza81[/MENTION]

so far I think I am going to try the Orijen red bag and see how that goes...

Last edited:
OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Dublin is doing good on both. the TOTW has less protein but both are grain free and that is the important part with Dublin. I use the Orijen Red because I can't stand the smell of the fish either going in or coming out :barf:

Humm I might have to try mixing both then. Which brand of TOTW are you currently using? If I do that do you prefer just mixing both bags together and then slowly transition with the old bag??? How is the poop?

Last edited:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Humm I might have to try mixing both then. Which brand of TOTW are you currently using? If I do that do you prefer just mixing both bags together and then slowly transition with the old bag??? How is the poop?

Its TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine formula with Roasted Lamb. Why don't you just transition to the Orijen on it's own? How old is Koko? I just mix the two because I'm me. :rofl:. I plan on some point just having her on one food. Poop is excellent! Couldn't ask for better :D

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
When I got Dublin from the breeder she was on Royal Canin. :crying: Long story short. Dublin has "Leaky Gut" syndrome and a whole host of allergies. I know feed her Origjen Original Red mixed with a little of Taste of the Wild. I personally contacted the company who makes Orijen as I was "concerned" about the high protein content. they were very responsive and answered my questions easily. Everything I have read and what I have asked my vet is all positive. I really only mix because I find the Orijen very "powerful" stuff. It is super "fragrant" and I am very sensitve to smell. You can really smell the protein in it. that is the only reason I mix it. Her digestive system has improved 95%. The only down side for me is that her burps are pretty powerful but farting almost not existent.... I never talk about farting any place other than this site..:rofl:. P.S. I really wanted to put her on Fromm as there are so many people on the site that have great luck with it but she wouldn't eat it, now way no how. I tried every flavor they have..

Do you mix 50/50 now or how?

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Its TOTW Sierra Mountain Canine formula with Roasted Lamb. Why don't you just transition to the Orijen on it's own? How old is Koko? I just mix the two because I'm me. :rofl:. I plan on some point just having her on one food. Poop is excellent! Couldn't ask for better :D

Koko is 5 months old. I just want to put her on Orijen but had lottssssss of feedbacks saying the same thing you did about mixing. Everyone said Orijen is very powerful hug protein and if mix with TOTW not only is it good but also good results as well.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Hi I've been reading your thread your little girl is adorable!! I have a 10 week old puppy and am currently feeding her Orijen puppy and she's doing great. I also have TOTW bags to feed her next and was thinking about mixing the two but also heard it wasn't the best to mix but I would love to. If anyone else has any feedback on mixing the two would be great.

how is stools on this food?

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Koko is 5 months old. I just want to put her on Orijen but had lottssssss of feedbacks saying the same thing you did about mixing. Everyone said Orijen is very powerful hug protein and if mix with TOTW not only is it good but also good results as well.

Dublin is two and was on Royal Canin. I wish I had known at that point that Grain Free was the way to go I would have saved her and us a lot of heartache, so my biggest advice is as Koko is so young just go for the one kind. Don't mix. Why start now when you don't have to. We had a lot of work to do with Dublin. If you do have some trepidation ( and it seems you do) over the Orijen then pick one of the other great grain free foods listed on this site or go totally with it. As I said I was planning on Fromm but she wouldn't eat any of it. i think it was more the size of the kibble than anything else. Good Luck. I feed her about 50/50

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok let me weigh i here. orijen is fantastic food as is acana. id just feed the orijen if you can but if you want you can mix 2 foods together you can. i have done this with sarah and it didnt hurt anything at all so it can be done. now im not trying to make anyone mad but i just want to point out that totw is good food but their manufacturer diamond pet foods just had a recall not to long ago for salmonella in their sc plant. they do not have a great track record for their manufacturing plants. just for fyi.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
ok let me weigh i here. orijen is fantastic food as is acana. id just feed the orijen if you can but if you want you can mix 2 foods together you can. i have done this with sarah and it didnt hurt anything at all so it can be done. now im not trying to make anyone mad but i just want to point out that totw is good food but their manufacturer diamond pet foods just had a recall not to long ago for salmonella in their sc plant. they do not have a great track record for their manufacturing plants. just for fyi.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you prefer mixing or if possible just stuck to one brand?

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online