Help Needed! Orijen Dog Food...

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Hi All,

New member here and may I say great site to educate everyone! That's just awesome!!! Thumps up for that.

Alright here is my question;

So I just got my little girl named Koko whom is now 5 months old and was currently on Royal Canine dog food. Yesssss I know Royal Canine is not a good food, I know that much lol. I have been looking around and have not heard to much but want to get everyone's input if or if they heard how bullies do on Orijen dog food. I was thinking about switching her to this brand but don't really hear much of it then I come on here and everyone is rating Fromm 4 Star by far the best for english bulldogs. Hummm, gets me thinking I should consider this food for her... But then again I read it has a lot of proteins and that is not good for bullies and now I am stomped..

So any feedback or thoughts on Orijen and comparison to Fromm 4? Any help would be appreciative. Thanks all!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
There is a food rating article on here under EBN Articles and it rates Orijen & Fromm both as 6 star foods ... each dog has different reactions with food most of the time from my experience anyhow its a trial and error but get a small bag and try Koko on it to see how it works, and if its liked etc. good luck and welcome to EBN to you and Koko she is very cute, looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I feed my Bella Origen and love it. She has digestive issues and couldn't handle Fromms. I mix half Orijen and half raw. She does perfect

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
Thank you guys for the feedback.

So with high proteins I should deem a small portion through the day correct me if I'm wrong?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
well, my baby has special needs with eating. but I is much better to do smaller more frequent meals with all animals, including us. LOL

I look at it like this, most vegetables are not digestible anyways and in the wild, dogs eat raw meat.....meat. So I don't worry as much on the protein as I do other things like grains, fat, fillers etc....With Bella's special needs, I have to watch the fat and protein content and Orijen falls right in line with her needs. Fromm's was just a tad bit higher in fat and it was just too much for her.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I feed twice a day for all 3 of our dogs they get a morning and evening meal and have fresh water available all day long ... I feed Honest Kitchen which is dehydrated raw and mix it with kibble but at this time I'm not happy with the kibble so I'm still in the "searching for the right one" mode.

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
All great feedbacks.

I will first try Orijen and see how she adapts to it first and if worst case switch to Fromm.

i was also recommended Natural Balance Sweet Potatoes n Lamb as well but still questioning that brand as well. I really want a product that will give them healthy skin and not so much problem cause its hard when they can't talk back to you to tell you what's wrong but I will give everything a **** and see where this takes me.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Orijen is a good food and hopefully it will work ... keep us posted!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
the trick will be switching very slowly. do 1/4 new to 3/4 old for a couple days then 50/50 for a couple days then 3/4 new to 1/4 old etc....it needs to go real slow to keep her digestive system in ck.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Have you considered Acana? We just bought a bag of Pasifica to try...

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
When I got Dublin from the breeder she was on Royal Canin. :crying: Long story short. Dublin has "Leaky Gut" syndrome and a whole host of allergies. I know feed her Origjen Original Red mixed with a little of Taste of the Wild. I personally contacted the company who makes Orijen as I was "concerned" about the high protein content. they were very responsive and answered my questions easily. Everything I have read and what I have asked my vet is all positive. I really only mix because I find the Orijen very "powerful" stuff. It is super "fragrant" and I am very sensitve to smell. You can really smell the protein in it. that is the only reason I mix it. Her digestive system has improved 95%. The only down side for me is that her burps are pretty powerful but farting almost not existent.... I never talk about farting any place other than this site..:rofl:. P.S. I really wanted to put her on Fromm as there are so many people on the site that have great luck with it but she wouldn't eat it, now way no how. I tried every flavor they have..

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
I haven't thought about mixing her Orijen with TOTW food. I always heard that it was not good to mix together and should always stick with one brand.

Is there a particular brand or Orijen anyone prefer? Today I bought the blue bad Orijen with Free-Run chicken & turkey with wild caught fish and whole eggs or at least that's what is says on the bag. I was going to switch her on Monday slowly and see what happens.

Has any one else tried that kind of Orijen?

OP
Tlomrtony

Tlomrtony

Nov 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko
@mdm525 let me know how it goes for you. Interested to see what happens...

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
@mdm525 let me know how it goes for you. Interested to see what happens...

Give her 3/4 old and 1/4 new last night and she really liked it! I usually have to add cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese to get her to eat and she ate her whole bowl with no additions! It smells very fishy, lol. So far, so good. I'll keep you posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.