Help Needed! The Switch?!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
If I am going to start home cooking for Winston do I need to have any kind of transition period like you do when you switch kibble? Or can I just stop feeding him the kibble and start feeding him the home cooking?! Any help is appreciated, thanks!! :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Great to hear you will be trying out the home cooking!

When I started this w/Tate, I pretty much just converted him over to the home cooking. I didn't do any transitioning at all and he responded quite fine. I think there may have been some looser stool in his case so on occasion, I do add pure pumpkin to the food, every now and then, for some additional fiber.

Good luck!
btw, Winston is soooo cute!!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I switched cold turkey too and noticed no issues with their :poo:! Haven't had to add any pumpkin to it what so ever. But since I've now ruled out food allergies I do add a little kibble to the homecooking as well. My boys are on Earthborne Lamb grain free. Oliver is the only one with allergies but they are all environmental except for potatoes and Earthborne is the only grain free they do well on with no potatoes in it.

Scout 775

Oct 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle Star & Bonnie
Yes.. Please translation any and all different foods when you change the diet. This makes digestion better for your Baby. No translation can lead to belly aches, diaria, and a overall bad mood. Good luck on the new diet. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When you do home cooking there is no need to transition. In fact, I also feed kibble if I don't feel like cooking in-between. I have never experienced any poo issues. One thing to note, you should drain the fat off any meats like hamburger. That can cause loose stool, not to mention weight gain ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all so much for the information!! I will definitely make sure to drain all the fat!:) what about supplements would a vitamin like NuVet be good enough or does he need more then that?? He is 1 year and a 1/2??

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Great to hear you will be trying out the home cooking!

When I started this w/Tate, I pretty much just converted him over to the home cooking. I didn't do any transitioning at all and he responded quite fine. I think there may have been some looser stool in his case so on occasion, I do add pure pumpkin to the food, every now and then, for some additional fiber.

Good luck!
btw, Winston is soooo cute!!!

Thank you!! :D

Members online

No members online now.