Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I've been reading up on this site regarding nutrition, and foods for bulldogs. I switched my 2 puppies from Royal Canin to Fromms last week, and this is going well. I have them on Puppy Gold and will continue with this until they are a year old, then I will switch to Fromms Beef Fritata. I see that some people Also give supplements to their Bulldogs. I see some people give Salmon oil capsules or oil, some give cranberry pills, my question is do you give puppies these supplements, or do they get enough in their puppy food, or do you give the supplements just to adult dogs? How much of these supplements do you give them and how often, and what type do you give them? Do you buy the supplements from your vet, from the drugstore, or from a store like Nutrition House, or GNC? I would like to give them the supplements to keep them healthy, but don't want to give them too much, or too early. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i havent had puppies so dont know but let me see if i can get you some answers to this. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]. Im thinking some fish oil wouldnt hurt and maybe a probiotic. you can use people fish oil or some buy salmon oil to squirt on the food. i use people probiotic for sarah. someone should be along soon to help with more puppy experience.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you for responding to my thread, and for trying to get me some advice, I will keep checking for any messages, or information that gets posted on this subject. Your help is very much appreciated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would switch your pup to the adult food when they are around 7 months old. Fromm 4 star food is an all stage food so you can switch any time really, but I leave mine on puppy food until they are 7 or 8 months old. We give our adult bullies one HardyPet Complete tab a day and when the pups get about 20 lbs. we give them a half of one until they get bigger, then give them the whole thing. You can buy the HardyPet complete from their web site. Just Google HardyPet and you will find it.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for your response and advice, funny you should say to switch them to adult food, because I actually switched them from Royal Canin to Fromms Puppy Gold, 5 days ago, and Dozer did fine on the new food, but Blossom, who is all white seems to be more sensitive, got really soft stools, and is having huge amounts of stool as well, also her face, eyes, and ears are really pink, I don't think she's tolerating it. Maybe it's too rich, or its the chicken in it?? Not sure, but I went to the pet food store tonight and exchanged the Fromms Puppy formula for the Fromms Beef Fritata. I hope this will work, and make a difference, and that they both will tolerate it. I guess we'll have to go through the transition again and see how it goes, I hope I'm not upsetting their tummies too much by changing their food so much. I'm trying to find a healthy , good food that both of them like and can tolerate. I'll keep you posted. And I'll research where I can get the Hardypet Complete supplement here in Ontario, Canada. They are both 8 months old now, and Dozer weighs about 32 lbs, and Blossom 30 lbs. I just thought it was better to keep them on a puppy formula for the extra nutrients until they were a year old, but I see that most people switch anywhere from 6 months to 8 months to an adult food.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I had Franklin on Fromm gold puppy an he had horrible diarrhea for 6 days every hour it was horrible it was the chicken an the grain he was very pink he got a very bad yeast infection we are still trying to find a food for him he's doing really well on blue buffalo wilderness salmon but he has really bad tear stains I want to find something that helps everything with him so my next food to try is Fromm beef or salmon grain free so fingers crossed but he's not on puppy food it was to rich for him but I give him apple cider vinegar in his water everyday It's good for digestion getting rid of bacteria in their system leveling their ph an if you have a yeast problem with your dogs it helps for that an I give him cosequin plus msm his hips pop when he walks so that's why I give that to him sorry so long

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How much vinegar do you give? 1 Tbsp? I would think too much vinegar would be too acidic. I want to give them additional supplements like salmon, or some other fish, or omega oil, or cranberry pills, etc, but don't want to overdo it either, you know that too much of a good thing saying. How much salmon oil, cranberry pills, vinegar, do you use, how often, and can you use all of them at the same time? Or is it too much or overkill?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.