Help Needed! Should 7 week old puppy have diarrhea?

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
So my puppy is currently on Victor puppy food. According to dogfoodadvisor.com this is a 4 star food. My Linus has had extremely soft stools bordering on diarrhea since starting solid food. Is this normal or should it be more firm by now? He also has tear stains already. I'm wondering if he is allergic to something? What do you think?
I'm planning on switching to blue puppy lamb and oatmeal, also a 4 star food. Should I expect a more firm stool on a puppy this age? Should I give him some pumpkin?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am going to get some puppy and food experts here.... [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] , [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] , [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I'm wondering have you had his poop checked for parasites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Yes he has been wormed twice and is due again this next week

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He is probably eating too much food..... How much is he getting per feeding and how many times a day?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes he has been wormed twice and is due again this next week

We have a food ratings list here but I'm on my phone so I can't paste the link. If you go to EBN Articles you will see dog food ratings :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We tried that food with our pup, because a friend told us she had good luck with it, but ours has the soft stools and diarrhea too, and I even reduced their food and that didn't help. We took them off of it and put them on Fromm Puppy Gold and now they are fine. So try a food change.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm kinda surprised you have a 7 week old puppy. They should be 8 weeks old before going to the new home. I would do a switch of the food and only give the recomended amount on the package. and yes pumpkin durning the switch. Keep up posted on your new baby

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you have already gotten good advice above so ill just welcome you and say you have a cute puppy :)

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Well his stool is firming up and I think his tear stains look better. So maybe his allergic to chicken? He is settling in and really loves my Choco lab Bernice. He follows her around and tries to do what she does..... It's cute!
I am feeding him 2/3 cup morning and lunch and dinner is alittle over 1/3 cup for dinner. I was doing 2/3 cup each feeding but he wasn't finishing the food and seemed to still be full.
I need to take updated pictures for you all! Thanks for the support!
Ps Linus is able to see his siblings everyday as my sis n law has the puppies. He enjoys socializing with them!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well his stool is firming up and I think his tear stains look better. So maybe his allergic to chicken? He is settling in and really loves my Choco lab Bernice. He follows her around and tries to do what she does..... It's cute!
I am feeding him 2/3 cup morning and lunch and dinner is alittle over 1/3 cup for dinner. I was doing 2/3 cup each feeding but he wasn't finishing the food and seemed to still be full.
I need to take updated pictures for you all! Thanks for the support!
Ps Linus is able to see his siblings everyday as my sis n law has the puppies. He enjoys socializing with them!

Oh this is really good news. so glad things are looking up for you and Linus, yes pictures to the pictures, you can never take too many pics. take pictures of the whole lot of puppy's too. :2thumbs:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'm kinda surprised you have a 7 week old puppy. They should be 8 weeks old before going to the new home. ...

The age a puppy needs to be when sold varies by state. Some have no regulation at all. I Googled a list of each stat's age regulation once but I don't have the link anymore.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The age a puppy needs to be when sold varies by state. Some have no regulation at all. I Googled a list of each stat's age regulation once but I don't have the link anymore.

I don't think she's talking LEGALLY...she's talking about what's best for the pups. 8 weeks is usually the minimum for them to be fully ready for their new homes.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im glad your baby is doing better and yes i always thought people kept bullies till 8 weeks also but hes there now so keep us updated.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I don't think she's talking LEGALLY...she's talking about what's best for the pups. 8 weeks is usually the minimum for them to be fully ready for their new homes.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that but old folks like me remember when the standard was 6 weeks. Many folks still go by that rule of thumb and are surprised that the current preferred age is 8 weeks. I could stand 12 weeks being the age to leave Mom. I think 8 is still too young in many ways.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online