Help Needed! New Bully on Iams to ???

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi I am new to the forum and a soon to be new Bully owner. We went to see our Bully at the breeder and to introduce my daughter and Pug to the new member of the family. When I asked the Breeder what is he currently feeding him and the reply was Iams puppy brand. I know that is something I do not want to keep him on long term so I wanted to know what should I switch him to and when should I begin the process. I read on the forum a lot of recommendations for Fromm but that is not sold in any of my local pet stores an would prefer something I do not have to depend on shipping to receive it.

He's scheduled to come home in 2 weeks when he will be 9 weeks old. Any recommendations you can provide are greatly appreciated as I know I will be here quite often asking for assistance.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I use Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for my 4 bullies and it works well. You can't get it at Pestmart or Petco but it should be available at locally owned stores and Pet Supermarket. Our local Tractor Supply also carries it. However I do get mine shipped in (no bag to carry) Amazon has it with free shipping over $25.00, Petflo and Chewy.com have it - free shipping over $50.00. I also use that brand of cat food so meeting the $50.00 for shipping is no problem. You can always order 2 bags at a time too. The price from on line stores is no more than local.

A lot of folks like Blue Buffalo as well which should be easily available. If you read, you'll see which varieties. what ever brand you choose the general consensus is to go grain free and if you get loose stool too much protein might be the culprit.

since you're feeding a Pug as well, I would suggest a lower amount of protein - maybe in the 25% range. That's what's recommended for my smaller bullies at any rate. Too much = more hyper dog I'm told. Good luck and enjoy your pup.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN.... We have not had a bully puppy but I wanted to say welcome and you will get help on this soon. Glad to have you here and remember, take lots of pix when you get your baby bully!!! ;) How about posting an intro thread so others can say hello in the Welcome and Intro forum? ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: hey. :smileywelcome: to ebn there is a lot of great information here an a lot of nice people. I feed blue buffalo wilderness salmon he's doing great on it I just switched it from blue buffalo basics an now with the wilderness he. :poo: twice a day now as before he was. :poo: 5-6 times a day he doesn't itch at all anymore he's doing great an its rated a 6 star food so I'm happy a lot of people are on Fromm an like it a lot it just all depends on the dog if he can handle it or not a lot of dogs can't eat chicken or grains so just be careful an congratulations on your new puppy before he comes I would get baby wipes so you can clean his folds an some apple cider vinegar because it is great for yeast infection just in case I put it in there water every day it keeps his PH levels even an its just all around good for them so if you need anything just ask I'm sure someone here can help you.

Last edited:

relayer13

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
I use Blue Buffalo Wilderness, right now Tater is on the puppy food but I'll start mixing in the adult around 6 months or so. You can get it at Petco or a number of other places. I also supplement with salmon oil, ester C, and Probios. His stool is never too soft and he is very regular.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: .... finding the right food for your new Bully Puppy is probably the most important thing you will ever do!!! But you may not get it right first time, a lot of us have used trial and error to find the perfect food for our Bully!!

You will find that a large majority of EBN members use Fromm and I am one of them!! I do really love this food and the 4* range is the way to go!! It is an all-stages food that is suitable from Puppy to Senior. However, if you would be happier starting with a specific puppy food then Fromm do a puppy formula too. You can check the Fromm website to see if there is a store near you that stocks it. If not you can go through PetFlow. If you click on the EBN link then you will get free shipping for orders over $49.

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I use Blue Buffalo Wilderness, right now Tater is on the puppy food but I'll start mixing in the adult around 6 months or so. You can get it at Petco or a number of other places. I also supplement with salmon oil, ester C, and Probios. His stool is never too soft and he is very regular.

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I checked out the ingredients of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free puppy food and I noticed it has chicken in it. Should I completely stay away from chicken or only some Bullies have issues with chicken?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well only way to know is to try it. some do some dont. wellness core also has a grain free puppy food. if you want to stay away from chicken blue basics has a turkey puppy formula but the wilderness is better. if you want some other choices ill be glad to help you.

wizard

Oct 8, 2012
Canton, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Priscilla
My dog Priscilla gets bad gas on iams large breed puppy food. But any others she just has "normal" gas lol

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Looks like I may be in luck. According to the Fromm website my local pet store (not a major chain) is a Fromm retailer.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Looks like I may be in luck. According to the Fromm website my local pet store (not a major chain) is a Fromm retailer.

:hiya: and :welcome: Glad you joined us! Cant wait to see pictures of your new baby! THe current food Iams isnt a great food so maybe after a week of the pup being home you can switch. I wouldnt do it right away jusst to let them adjust. It should take about 2 weeks to switch foods completely has to be done slow. We decided after reading EBN food ratings that we were switching to Fromm and found a local pet store(family owned small store) that carried it. Its well worth it as the whole line has great products. Even if you use Petflow you get free shipping and can do scheduled deliveries when you set it up :) Fromm also has buy 12 bags get the 13th free. Ask your store to give you the envelope and you save the UPC codes :)

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
My Dozer is finally home. He got a little tough love from Sandy but he survived w/o any problems. Going outside in the sun should be easy now. One thing I have noticed is his breath. It has an awful smell. I am thinking it has to do with the Iams he is currently on. I plan on to start switching his food in about a week. I am hoping this will help. I'm going to try the Wellness Core no grain for puppies. My local store advertised they carried Fromm but actually never stocked it so I tried the Blue Buffalo Wilderness with my Pug and his allergies got worse so I am trying the Wellness Core for him too as I want to "try" and keep both of them on the same brand.

Here is some pics of him on his 1st day at home.
Dozer 1st day.jpgDozer 1st day-2.jpg

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I started Amber as a puppy on homemade food and if I have to go out of town and my husband is feeding her she gets blue buffalo can food. I feed her beef, chicken, livers, gizzards, pork, anything on sale with vegetables, eggs, beans and brown rice. I takes a little time but I have never had a problem with her; it takes trial and error sometimes to find out what works. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online