General Question Anyone heard of or Used Purina One for Bulldogs

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
i have always fed my bulldog Blue Buffalo Basics.. she did fine but it is very expensive about 55 or 60 a large bag.
One of the nurse or tech at my vet, that they specialize in breeding Bulldogs, told me she breeds frenchys and she uses
Purina One,, actually from the grocery store for `18.00 a bag.. I was so scared to try it but I did. she seems fine its been a few months
but I want to make sure she is getting the proper nutrition bulldogs need for all there strange stuff and
make sure maybe this cant be creating her Red bumps/digital cysts? inbetween her toes lately..
any advice I would love

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I use to feed my American Bully that, and it gave him bad gas and tear stains, that was many years ago, band before I found this place [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will be with you shortly. she can fill you in

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Definetly, Something in the food she is eating could be causing the issues you mention. She is likely allergic to something in it.

I like to think of it this way: Good food is expensive yes. But not as expensive as the vet bills treating issues caused by bad food.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Definetly, Something in the food she is eating could be causing the issues you mention. She is likely allergic to something in it.

I like to think of it this way: Good food is expensive yes. But not as expensive as the vet bills treating issues caused by bad food.

With bullies I agree with 'Pay me now, or pay me later' we also use Blue Buffalo Basic's (Salmon) which is the most expensive in their line :( if you have a local Petsmart, make sure you sign up for their pet perks - I just got 2 coupons for $10 off a $50 purchase - you got it, 2 bags of Blue Buffalo !

If you compare ingredients, you'll change off of Purina One, REALLY fast. and what people dont always realize, you feed them MORE (per serving) of the inexpensive food (Read the directions on each of the bags)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I already posted on your other thread in the 'health forum'.... it most likely is the food causing the issues -- ask your vet to do a full blood screen allergy test.
If Betty was doing well on the Blue... go back to it

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like to old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I knew a dog on Purina one an got these huge lumps all over bad feet I would change it like everyone said before I'd rather pay the money for good food an have my dog live longer with less problems an it last a lot longer then Purina one

OP
B

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
YUP YUP YUP Your all making Sense to me.. I guess Blue Buffalo it is..
Is blue Buffalo as good as they say.. I hear SOOO MANY MIXED about it

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I agree that the first thing you should do is get him off the Purina and see if it's food related. You can try Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream) that may be a bit less expensive than what you're paying for Blue. The bag is a full 30 pounds and costs just under 50 bucks. Your dog should eat way less too. My small bullys (30 pound range ) get a little over a cup a day. The puppy of course get about twice that. Zelda my 45 pound EB (RIP) ate maybe 1.75 cups per day at the most. Basically, I'd put 6 cups out for 4 dogs and they wouldn't always eat it all. When I moved to this food and started adding ACV to the water, Zelda's allergy problems went away.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well when it comes to bullies if you find something that works stick with it. blue buffalo is a good food not the best but not the worst. its how your bully does on it. anything that you can buy in the grocery store is crap. id keep him on it for now. if you want to change foods go up not down. :D

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
You can try Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream) that may be a bit less expensive than what you're paying for Blue. The bag is a full 30 pounds and costs just under 50 bucks.

We did the switch to ToTW Pacific.... but then they had 2 - 3 recalls in a short period of time. so we went back to Blue -

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
About those recalls - Since their product - along with MANY others, was made in the same plant as the contaminated stuff, they chose to recall. All of their product tested clean. There was no actual contamination of TOTW. They did it as a safety consideration, not actual bad product.

If you check recall notices you'll see that at one time or another Blue has been recalled as well.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
for me as well diamond manufacturing has had to many recalls in their plants for me to even consider feeding anything made there. there track record is well known as being not very good but we each have to decide for ourselves what we want to feed our bullys. its a personal choice really for each of us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.