Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Khloe has been with us for a week today and when she got here she had been in a losing scuffle with a pitbull. Luckily they managed to break it apart quickly. I shaved all of her wounds, luckily they were only surface wounds so they have all healed up quite nicely.

Also when she arrived, she was dripping blood when she peed. She has a really bad UTI. We put her on a course of antibiotics for a week but I can tell her urine is still very toxic even though the blood stopped the next day.

So I am looking for suggestions on diet that would help her. I ordered a supplement but it is not here yet. She was being fed Royal Canine before, and even though I am trying to switch she is only eating the Royal Canin out :p

I homecook for Molly and Tidus (hamburger,mixed beans, normandy vegetables, a smidge of rice) with NuVet, so I am wondering if this would be a good choice for her as well. I am worried about her kidney function since the pee is so toxic. I gave her some of this instead of the kibble tonight. I also have sub Q fluids I am thinking I will give her some tomorrow morning. Any other homecooked suggestions to help would be wonderful!

Oh and here she is, Yuna's twin sister! Khloe (who has been officially nicknamed "Sweetie" because of Doctor Who) Those are her wounds right after she got here, I shaved her so I could see what it was. They are healing nicely with the aid of the antibiotics but I am worried about her pee.

IMG_7033.jpg

IMG_7034.jpg

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Good Diet for bad UTI -Urinary Tract Infection-

Oh I forgot we are not going to the vet again until the 22nd or so to see if the UTI is clear or coming back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This has Bev written all over it..... [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Acidic helps urinary tract stuff. That's why they recommend cranberry juice for people. Try adding ACV to her water or food that should help kill the bacteria. Don't forget the yogurt to make sure she's got the good guys in her system too. Plain, with Live cultures. Dannon makes some in all fat levels.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When HRH came here to rule 2 1/2 yrs ago her pee was quite toxic,,,,,, she had been on Bil Jac food. Once we got her settled on Fromm the toxic pee was gone. I would suggest giving her a cranberry pill daily for UTI prevention but I dont know if it will help if she already has uti. Certainly won't hurt. ACV in her water may help too as it changes their ph.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
ACV will help change the ph in her urine but it needs to be RAW, unfiltered cider vinegar. The processed stuff will help a little but all of the nutrients that make it so good for things like this have been filtered out. You can also give her orange or cranberry juice or even a little lime juice in her water. The citric acid will help kill the bacteria and help heal the UTI.

I think the most important thing is to force fluids into her so that her kidneys continually filter that urine and keep her hydrated.

She is beautiful!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What about giving her some sub Q fluids? Do you think that would help?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
What about giving her some sub Q fluids? Do you think that would help?

Maybe but if she is drinking on her own, I wouldn't put her through it. SubQ's are really only given to keep the body hydrated so that the kidneys can continue to do their job. Her kidneys are still working fine as far as we know right? She is still producing good (although potent) urine. I would just push fluids into her normally. Lots of broth, juices, water, even fruits like watermelon if possible.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe but if she is drinking on her own, I wouldn't put her through it. SubQ's are really only given to keep the body hydrated so that the kidneys can continue to do their job. Her kidneys are still working fine as far as we know right? She is still producing good (although potent) urine. I would just push fluids into her normally. Lots of broth, juices, water, even fruits like watermelon if possible.

She does not drink as much as I would like her to. I will try enticing her with the juice and broth. I am adding water to her food to make sure she gets extra fluids too.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello sweetie! (Where are the Dr. Who smilies??? We need a Tardis!)
She's a beautiful girl! Hope she's feeling better soon.

Oooooh I should look!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
She does not drink as much as I would like her to. I will try enticing her with the juice and broth. I am adding water to her food to make sure she gets extra fluids too.

if she's no drinking then I don't see how 200/250 ml will hurt her any. As long as she tolerates it well. I wouldn't give her much more than that tho. The general guideline is 10ml per pound of body weight.

At 30 pounds Abby gets 300ml twice a day but with her numbers as out of control as they are, we've increased it to 350.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Awe, pooooor baby. But what a doll!!! One thing that might be worth a Google is the relationship between protein and PH, specifically something called "purine" which is.....er.....something. The right levels of protein in the food (I believe higher than normal) can help dissolve uti-related crystals and acidify the PH. I think!

After Lupe's surgery to correct the anatomical stuff, she still had crystals. I guess that in and of itself is not always a problem. As a precaution the vet put her back on (hold your breath) Hill's to balance her PH and flush out crystals. Because UTI and some kinds of crystals go hand in hand, and because crystals can be a precursers to stones--a much more complicated problem to fix-- we followed orders. Slowly over a year's time I've transitioned to half Wellness half Hills, adding coconut oil, Missing Link and pumpkin for my pumpkin. No UTis and no crystals for over a year! Good luck! I'm sure she already feels better.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Khloe has been with us for a week today and when she got here she had been in a losing scuffle with a pitbull. Luckily they managed to break it apart quickly. I shaved all of her wounds, luckily they were only surface wounds so they have all healed up quite nicely.

Also when she arrived, she was dripping blood when she peed. She has a really bad UTI. We put her on a course of antibiotics for a week but I can tell her urine is still very toxic even though the blood stopped the next day.

So I am looking for suggestions on diet that would help her. I ordered a supplement but it is not here yet. She was being fed Royal Canine before, and even though I am trying to switch she is only eating the Royal Canin out :p

I homecook for Molly and Tidus (hamburger,mixed beans, normandy vegetables, a smidge of rice) with NuVet, so I am wondering if this would be a good choice for her as well. I am worried about her kidney function since the pee is so toxic. I gave her some of this instead of the kibble tonight. I also have sub Q fluids I am thinking I will give her some tomorrow morning. Any other homecooked suggestions to help would be wonderful!

Oh and here she is, Yuna's twin sister! Khloe (who has been officially nicknamed "Sweetie" because of Doctor Who) Those are her wounds right after she got here, I shaved her so I could see what it was. They are healing nicely with the aid of the antibiotics but I am worried about her pee.

View attachment 28632

View attachment 28633

I was thinking about your Khloe this morning. How is she doing with her UTI?

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Seems to be cleared up, I used all of the suggestions so we will go in about a week to have the urine tested to be sure. The home cooking really seemed to have a good impact with the tums, Nuvet, and for her water I gave a splash of watermelon juice in it, she loves it. Already spoiled rotten!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.