Should I give her less food?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Here's my dilema... Izzy is now 13 weeks old and since I got her I have been feeding Holistic Select Puppy dry food, about 2 cups a day. I just took her to the vet this past weekend and he told me her weight is almost perfect, he still thinks she is a tad fat because he butt jiggles when she runs.

Even though I have been giving her the same amount of food I noticed that she has been pooping much more lately.... to the point she is having accidents in her bed and inside the house. The vet said that between 0-3 months thats when they need the most calories and after that the growth process starts to slow down a bit. Should I decrease her food amount? She is always sooo hungrys and eats her cups of food in two seconds... not sure what is the right thing to do here.

One more think ... her poo still very soft... maybe I should just change her food all together?

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If her poop is still soft try decreasing her food by 1/4 cup a day and see if that helps. If its still soft after that, then decrease it by a little more, to see if that helps. Just don't decrease too much as she is still a pup and needs the nutrition. It is a fine line between what is enough and too much. The poop will usually tell you.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there! As far as amount when Brutuss was her age he was eating almost 4 cups a day....At thiss point they aare aving growth spurts and may need the extra food. If her poops aare soft and she is going a lot I would maybe try a food switch as it seems something isnt agreeing with her. I always belived up until 5mnths is when they have a growth spurt. I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] to help on the food.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
which food did you use? her food says to feed 2 cups according to her age and weight. I know it sounds very little but I am thinking that different foods ask for different quantities....

She did go through a week where her poo was normal and she wasnt doing as much...

I guess I will try to decrease a little and see what happens.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I used Fromm but Brutus was and still is very active so I wasnt concered at that point..We have cut him down to 3 cups a day give or tke..I would try as [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said but if you cut down more im not sure it would be enough as she is getting 2 cups...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you could cut back the food a tad and maybe add some fruit or frozen green beans to help fill him up. are you feeding one with grains in it perhaps its to much grain and some added chicken or beef might help or perhaps try the grain free one they have now. if they are on the grain free one then perhaps another food. let me know if i can help further.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Dont want my puppy to starve at all!!!I will check into the Fromm and buy a package and maybe start gradually switching her to this doog food. Right now the only treats she is getting is the dried beef liver to help with the tear stains. SHould I not give her that?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you may want to stop all treats and such to see if thats the problem or the food. bullies tummies can get upset from anything. fromm is excellent food should you choose that route..

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Just an update on Izzy - I have been feeding her Fromm Grain Free Beef Fritatta and she has been doing great! Thank you all for the greats advices :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Cool, so happy she is doing well. Oh you forgot the pics though. :2thumbs:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Awesome!!! I didn't realize how old this feed was and was going to suggest fromm we had the same issues with Bacon when we got him and once we switch over to grain free his :poo: got much better.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So glad it worked out ... Fromm does seem to be the favoured food around here!!! :up:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
image.jpg
We always have a picture available :D this one was taken at day care.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I'm glad she's doing better but all puppies have a little puppy fat that's what makes them giggle & wiggle

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.