izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
hi everyone,

newbie question :rolleyes: - how do you give healthy treats to your bullie? For example, i read that carrots are great, but how do you cut them? also, for the frozen fruits, such as blueberries, do you just give it to them?

i wanted to ask because i'm always afraid that stig may choke if the pieces are too small or that he's not able to chew before swallowing.

thanks all!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would try to help but my bully Linus turns his nose up at EVERY fruit and veggie known to canine...and my baby Truman's brush with a baby carrot ended in vomit so I will be tuning in for this question too!

The only thing I am a regular with in giving Truman a slice of banana for dessert after his breakfast because I eat one every morning...now we share. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I give them baby carrots whole, but frozen. They chew em up :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I get bags of shredded carrots and just sprinkle some on top of their food. The couple of times I've tried giving baby carrots, they just played with them and never ate them. I do give them frozen green beans and they like them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I just buy the packaged baby carrots in the produce dept and give them a few here and there throughout the day. At first tho they didnt know to eat them since there isnt much to them at first so you may have to eat them in front of your pup and show him that it is food. The blueberries are fine just as is. A handful here and there and they are good to go. Now my pug doesnt like them frozen, just fresh. Maybe he doesnt realize he is supposed to eat those also? Even frozen strawberries, raspberries, green beans, lima beans etc... I usually give a small handful on the floor to each and they gobble it up. Fresh bananas are a fav also. My boys always get the brown ones since I am not a fan of those so much. hehe My garbage disposals! Mostly anything I make in the kitchen they want so I share little bits of all the fruits and veggies we eat. (that are not bad for them of course)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I used to buy the bags of baby carrots to give all of my dogs, but Maggie used to vomit them up a few hours later virtually whole so it looks as if she's so greedy that she just doesn't even bother to chew! Now I peel and give a whole carrot to her - it slows her down a lot and she'll take it away and sit in a corner with it and seems to enjoy it. Maggie doesn't like banana which I thought she would love! However, she does like chunks of cucumber!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I've never had a problem with them choking on any fruits or veggies. I freeze baby carrots and cut up apples to be given as treats. Then whatever else we have that isn't bad for pups like broccoli, tomatoes, blueberries, etc.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is on a new regiment, I now have switched his food and snacks due to allergies, He loves baby carrots but did have a problem eating them whole so therefore mom (me) bites them in half and puts them in a little baggie. He get 3 pcs. of little chunks for a treat instead of the "puparoni sticks" I was giving him. He knows when I am standing in the kitchen biting baby carrots in half for him that it is for him!! Never thought about freezing them, that will happen tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Vegas is on a new regiment, I now have switched his food and snacks due to allergies, He loves baby carrots but did have a problem eating them whole so therefore mom (me) bites them in half and puts them in a little baggie. He get 3 pcs. of little chunks for a treat instead of the "puparoni sticks" I was giving him. He knows when I am standing in the kitchen biting baby carrots in half for him that it is for him!! Never thought about freezing them, that will happen tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I am looking forward to some 'after' pictures of Vegas in a few weeks too! Are you going to write his story for Dog food then and now page 2????

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.