Help Needed! Best Puppy Food to Help Prevent Tear Stains

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Hey I am looking for some advise... I have done all the things that I have read on the "tear stains" that I have read under here , and I am currently feeding Frankie, Fromm Gold Holistic Puppy Food and she drinks distilled water and I do her face cleanings morning & night, but they will NOT go away...

I only feed her the Fromm treats that that have the same ingeidiants as her food. So I am not for sure were they are coming from. She is 14 1/4 weeks. When I got her she came to me on Eukanuba puppy food and I left her on it for a week then slowly mixed it with the Fromm and switched her and I thought within 6 weeks they would go away.

Does anyone have any suggestions or think I should change her food?

Please help :)

Thank you

Karen & Frankie

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I switched to Fromm grain free and the tear stains are gone. The only treats Bongo gets is pure bite which are essentially dried meat and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=5831]bullyluv34[/MENTION] - If I could resolve my tear stain issue here with just a food change, wow. I'd buy WHATEVER IT TOOK! Fellow member [MENTION=5435]CharlieFL[/MENTION] formulated his own "recipe" for this --- search his posts and you'll find how he did it. The only thing I've not done here is give them water filtered through a Brita/Pure system. Now that we're heading OUT of allergy season, I'm hoping for improvement for that reason alone. We'll see. Our water here has been voted one of the best in the country so it's hard to imagine that mine needs filtering....?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There can be many things to cause the issue.... food, food allergy, season/environmental allergies. Our girl, Banks, had them so bad he white face was brown, almost rusty... we had a full blood screen allergy test done and the results were what helped...allergic to chicken and all grass/weeds..... so, we changed her to a beef based food and give her benedryl as needed.... her face is white again. Her eyes still tear but no where near how they did before the test and changes

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Next time you visit the vet have them check her eyes to see if she has any lashes going inward.

Bully pups can also tear during teething but it is a bit unusual to have such a problem at on 14 weeks. That is why I suggest checking for the lashes. It could be entropion or distachia.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
She goes back to the vet next week so I will have him check into her eyelashes, he was the one that suggested the distilled water when I got her because he said it just could of been from her previous enviorment or her food.

I looked at the other members post and I will oreder some of those pads that he recommends. Has anyone ever used ANgel Eyes? What are your thoughts on that product?

I will keep her on the Fromm food, I really like it. I just may order a bag of the Beef Friatta and gradually switch her over to it though because the Puppy Food does have chicken in it.

I really appreciate all of your help!

Karen & Frankie

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She goes back to the vet next week so I will have him check into her eyelashes, he was the one that suggested the distilled water when I got her because he said it just could of been from her previous enviorment or her food.

I looked at the other members post and I will oreder some of those pads that he recommends. Has anyone ever used ANgel Eyes? What are your thoughts on that product?

I will keep her on the Fromm food, I really like it. I just may order a bag of the Beef Friatta and gradually switch her over to it though because the Puppy Food does have chicken in it.

I really appreciate all of your help!

Karen & Frankie

Sounds like a great plan! Never used Angel Eyes, but only because I have never heard anything wonderful. I hear they used to work pretty well years ago but I think they had ingredients that had to be pulled out. Maybe antibiotics or something-- I cannot recall exactly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I started giving my puppy dried liver treats and that has been helping a lot. Not sure how it helps but I even did some research online and many sites talk about this being a solution for the tear stains.

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
oh my goodness, Isabel is SO adorable!! Thank you, I will keep that in mind as well. I am waiting for the Chlorihexdrine pads to arrive any day so I can ad thos to the apple cider vinager and desitin that I am currently doing. I am not changeing anything so I hope shes not allergic to me :( But she goes back to the vet on Thursday to I am definatly having him check her for the eyelash problem.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hi, I have used Angel Eyes on Punk since she was a puppy - she is 3 now and has not had any tear stains since I started using it. It took about a week to see a result because I only sprinkle a little bit - may 1/4 tsp. at most on her food. I did not want to use the full amount because I am cautious when it comes to my babies. I have even gone a few days every now and then with not giving her any of it and she still does fine. I do notice that after about 4 days I can start to see the rusty looking crease come back. I then go back to sprinkling a little bit on her food and it clears right up. I get mine from Amazon.com because it is cheaper there and I use the Beef flavored one.

CharlieFL

Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
He guys... the procedure that I did with Charlie gave me amazing results. I heard good things about Angel Eyes but i wont use when ur bully still a puppy. it's a strong antibiotic.>> Also if u use it, it will help you to prevent tear stains but not too much about removing what he/she has.
This is Charlie, 5 months old and 32 lbs. He is eating Earthborn Meadow Feast. any question feel free to ask. Good Luck and be very patient at the end you will see results.
20121009_164045.jpg20121009_164057.jpg

Also, my breeder recommended Nupro Gold Supplement ( never use it ) he said that works amazing for bullies.

Last edited:
OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Thank you both, @ CharlieFL, I should be getting the Chlorhexdrine pads in the mail today actually so I am actually going that route from your post that I read. :) Charlie, looks AMAZING!! Frankie, goes back to the vet this evening for her last round of puppy shots and her Rabbies shot and I am going to have him look at her eyelashes because her little eyes just water.. :( I am thinking an enviormental allergy though because I also have 2 pugs and my one pug (Yoda) has sever food and enviromental allergies, but he's all black so I just notice his hairloss and his itching he's on Earthborn Great Plains Feast but still scrathes away so predinsone every other day until its gone then more allergy testing :(

I will update tomorrow on what the Dr says about Frankie's :)

thank you all for your help!!

CharlieFL

Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Thank you both, @ CharlieFL, I should be getting the Chlorhexdrine pads in the mail today actually so I am actually going that route from your post that I read. :) Charlie, looks AMAZING!! Frankie, goes back to the vet this evening for her last round of puppy shots and her Rabbies shot and I am going to have him look at her eyelashes because her little eyes just water.. :( I am thinking an enviormental allergy though because I also have 2 pugs and my one pug (Yoda) has sever food and enviromental allergies, but he's all black so I just notice his hairloss and his itching he's on Earthborn Great Plains Feast but still scrathes away so predinsone every other day until its gone then more allergy testing :(

I will update tomorrow on what the Dr says about Frankie's :)

thank you all for your help!!

Great keep us posted...
also like I said you may try Nupro Gold Supplement. I already order mine and Im gonna do a review after I use it.

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Update:
Frankie's vet said no inner eyelashes and just use some visine allergy eyedrops, but she's doing great and looks awesome!

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
I think water is important too , when my mom keep major for a wk , she gave him filter water and he got tear stains. * I usually give him orzarka * natural spring water* to me I think that is best... gl

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.