General Question Activa dog food and new puppy care

Stadnhound

Oct 4, 2012
El Paso, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello everyone,

I have been browsing the forums for weeks now and am amazedat the wealth of information offered by all the experienced bulldog owners outthere. I am days away from bringing homean 8 week old bully that I have named Winston, and due to being a first timebulldog owner, have been trying to gain as much information as I can to makehis homecoming and new experience as smooth and enjoyable as I can.

By reading everyone’s input and suggestions I think I havedecided on trying Fromm puppy as a lot of people seem to have had good luckwith it. That being said, I am going tohave to make the transition (after a couple of weeks home) from the dog food heis currently on. He has been on dry kibblefor almost two weeks now and the breeder has been using Activa puppy and sayshe is doing well on it. Has anyone triedActiva before and should I even try changing if he is doing well with it? I understand bully’s are very susceptible toallergies and don’t want to disrupt anything.

I also plan on having a wire crate for him and beginningcrate training right off the bat in order to further the potty training processalong. Can anyone suggest whether or notto keep the crate inside a playpen vs. keeping the playpen separate? I cannot be home 24/7 so I would like to havehim comfortable inside his kennel but at the same time don’t want to hinderhousebreaking either.

Trying not to write a book here on all the aspects of bullycare but I just wanted to ask these few questions and get some advice onanything a new bully owner may need to know, especially in the beginning.

Just a few more days!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@cowsmom @desertskybulldogs

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so happy to see you are already looking to make a great choice for your bully baby! That is fabulous!!!

Okay I could not find an Activa Puppy food but I did find "Growth Forumla".

Honestly, this food is a big no no for me. It has corn. Lots of it, in two forms. This food would be a star 2 at best, maybe even a one star food. Not a good food for a bully.

And what is Ground Grain Sorghum? Here is what I found out:

Grain sorghum plants are coarse annual grasses. Nearly all of the varieties grown in the United States are so-called dwarf types, with stems under 5 feet in height and suitable for harvesting with combines. In other countries many taller-stemmed kinds are grown. Leaves are relatively broad, bave numerous but small stomata, and are covered with a waxy bloom. They tend to roll along the midrib under moisture stress. Thus the plant is more drought resistant than most other grains and requires less water per pound of dry matter produced.

Here is the info I got for it:

Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Ground Grain Sorghum, Poultry Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Eggs, Brewers Yeast, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Flaxseed Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Trace Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenate, Cobalt Carbonate), Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (natural preservative)

Crude Protein not less than 27.00%
Crude Fat not less than 17.00%
Crude Fiber not more than 3.50%
Moisture not more than 10.00%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 2.50%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.50%*
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

Now lets compare to Fromm Puppy (pink bag) as you can see the first three ingredients are protein sources. This is a great food for a growing puppy because of all the different types of proteins, which is likely not too much of each.

Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Lamb, Potato, Tomato Pomace, Whole Egg, Salmon Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stadnhound

Oct 4, 2012
El Paso, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the input. Yeah I din't think it was top quality, especially when compared to Fromm. I basically was just curious as to whether or not it was good enough to keep feeding to him, but I'm going to definitely try Fromm after a couple of weeks being home. I think I even found a local retailer that has it so even more reason to go with it. Thats my thinking anyway LOL.

Most Reactions