General Question Three Feedings to Two

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
A question for the masses. At the recommendation of my vet, I am going to cut my seventh-month old bully's feedings from three to twice a day (morning and night). I know the quantity to feed her, but I was just curious--how did people make the transition? Just cut and dry? I KNOW Lucy knows when it's lunchtime and expects to be fed. Do I just suck it up and ride out her begging? Or do I slowly transition from less food to no food at lunchtime? Any insights or experience would be a great help. Thanks!

- Katie

Attachments

• seventh months.jpg
    seventh months.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 123

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I've always fed only two meals - but when he was going through a growth spurt and I thought he was still hungry I'd give him 1/4c in his Snoggle around lunchtime. So I gave him 1 1/4 c in the morning, 1 1/4 c for dinner and 1/4 in the Snoggle as a toy/snack. That made 2 3/4 cups (he's back down to 2 1/4 c now).

http://starmarkacademy.com/products/treat-dispensing-snoggle/

Maybe you can put part of it in a Kong or such toy around her normal lunch time?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
If you're at home and can manipulate what time he gets fed, you can move the 2 feedings closer and closer together while making the first one larger and the second smaller. Once the two times become 1 you can start moving that morning feeding back to the time you want it to be. Be tricky!

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Just cut out the middle, the dog will be FINE!

I like to throw Brembo a kong around lunchtime most days anyway. Gives him something to do.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Just cut out the middle, the dog will be FINE!

I like to throw Brembo a kong around lunchtime most days anyway. Gives him something to do.

Hey ajwhitt44 what all do you put in Brembo's kong? I'm always looking for new things to add in Tun's...she gets bored easy

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hey ajwhitt44 what all do you put in Brembo's kong? I'm always looking for new things to add in Tun's...she gets bored easy

Wow, there are a million things, you just have to find out what she likes best. You should actually make a thread about what people use in their kongs!!

I usually use Peanut butter and mix in a variety of treats: soft chewy treats, food, hard treats, dried liver.
I also use cream cheese also mixed with the above.
Cottage cheese and peeled apples is always a big hit.

That's about it. YOu can also soak some of his food and then mash it up, put it in the kong, and freeze it. That works GREAT!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Heck! I was concerned too when cutting out Jakes mid day feeding. Yes..I KNEW he would be fine, but I still worried! I just slowly cut back the amount in noon feeding and added that amount split equally between breakfast and dinner. Now...I still give each of my dawgs a cookie at noon if I'm home!

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Can dogs count to know how many meals they get per day - would they really know if they were missing one? Just wondering :lmao:

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Mine trip me if it's time to eat. I cannot walk anywhere without stepping on them. I give a banana or some type of veggie when it should be lunch time and that usually appeases them. Or my guilt maybe!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I used to soak Tank's kibble to make it soft then I'd pack it into a marrow bone and freeze them. For the first few days that we were transitioning, he would get one of these instead of lunch. He was happy and preoccupied. That was it. I still keep a few around for when I need a break or have something I have to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.