General Question Question about Hi-Tek ingredients

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I found Hi-Tek Naturals Grain Free Lamb Meal and Sweet Potato Formula on Amazon, 30 lbs. for $47.38, a real good price and the reviews are really good.

Do these ingredients look good? Is lamb meal just as good as lamb?

Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato, Potato, Peas, Pork Meal, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved withNatural Mixed Tocopherols), Duck Meal, Egg, Salmon Meal, Flaxseed, Sea Salt, Tomato, Blueberry,Raspberry, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus FermentationProduct, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifido Bacterium Fermentation Product,Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Niacin Supplement,d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source ofVitamin B6), Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, ZincProteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate,Manganese Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@cowsmom @desertskybulldogs

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It looks like a fair food, it has a lot of potatoes in it however, so if you do try it keep a watch for yeast overgrowth. It is certainly not a bad food, and worth trying to see if it works with your bully.

It also has chicken meal and chicken fat so if your bully is sensitive to chicken you will probably know within a couple of weeks or sooner.

Let us know how it goes with this one.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] what do you think?

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So, Lucy started on the above Hi-Tech food about a month ago. I transitioned nice and slowly and she's just now getting only the new food and no more of the old one. Her coat looks absolutely fantastic and there is noticeably less shedding and hardly any flatulence. For the last 2 weeks or so though she's been licking her paws and there is a red raw patch between two of her toes. There are no cysts, just a small red area. Should I assume it's the food?
Thanks!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is probably yeast from licking her paws. Could be the food, but could also be environment. Timing is right tho. Did she lick her paws before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my im sorry i missed this thread before. :ashamed: it looks like a good food but it does have lots of proteins that could be causing the problem of even the peas or potatoes. if she never did it before with any food id assume its the food but you could either do bland diet or put her back on her old food to know for sure. if u need more help just let me know.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I'm just noticing that she has also developed red bumps on her chin that she never had before. Does this offer a clue as to whether the culprit is the chicken or the potatoes?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it could be either but when my Lola had the same exact reactions we cut out chicken and she got better. you just have to cut it out and see if your pup gets better

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks, April.

I just checked the ingredients on all the foods she's been on since we got her and this is the only one that has chicken.

Lola's cute!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes with bullies its a process of elimination as to what could be causing it. i hope cutting out the chicken works. :2thumbs:

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I gave her the bland diet of beef and rice this morning. Boy, did she love that! But then again....she loves to eat everything.

Thanks for the gift, Cowsmom! :-)

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
This is weird. The bag of food I received has a slightly different list of ingredients than what they advertised on Amazon. Turns out it doesn't have any chicken at all. Here are the ingredients in the bag that I got.....

Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato, Potato, Peas, Pork Meal, Canola Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Duck Meal, Egg, Salmon Meal, Ground Sage, Ground Basil, Flaxseed, Sea Salt, Tomato, Blueberry, Raspberry, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifido Bacterium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Oxide, Selenium Yeast, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

It has canola oil in the place where chicken meal should be. Is canola oil an ok ingredient?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online