General Question Feeding canned food. good or bad?

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Ok so i notice hope has a little trouble chewing the kibbles in her food mainly because some of her teeth are missing or pretty worn down. I've heard different stories about feeding your dog "Canned" food that it's bad will rot their teeth cause tatar build up and staining. and they shouldn't be fed it at all... Now i don't plan on feeding her canned food 24/7 for it's expensive lol BUt i want to mix it up with her dry food so she can eat a little easier. Or does BB carry chewy kibble dry food (i know that sounds funny) but i thought maybe in the senior section

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we mix all kinds of wet food in lolas kibble. as long as she gets the protein and other good stuff from the kibble let her enjoy it..even if it means wetting it with some chicken stock (homemade if possible)

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
we mix all kinds of wet food in lolas kibble. as long as she gets the protein and other good stuff from the kibble let her enjoy it..even if it means wetting it with some chicken stock (homemade if possible)

chicken stock is a good idea i can make her food moisten up with that! Thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It doesn't hurt anything to feed can, but as you said it is expensive. You can soften up her regular kibble by pouring hot water on it and let it soak until soft, but that time it has cooled off. This is what we do for pups when they are too young to chew the kibble. The only thing is to clean their teeth afterwards to reduce the tarter build up.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Have you heard of Honest Kitchen food? it is a dehydrated raw form of food that you add hot water to to re-hydrate ... I add it as a topper on my dogs kibble but you could add the kibble & honest kitchen in the bowl and add the hot water let stand til re-hydrated it would be softer for her to eat that way ???? as long as you brush their teeth regularly feeding the can food isn't going to cause problems (at least what my vet told me)

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] where would I find that Honest Kitchen sounds like something she would gobble down. [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] yep I have my DON'T FEED THIS OR THEY'LL DIE list up in my kitchen (i made it dramatic so anyone in house who comes to visit would take it seriously)... Thanks everyone I'm gonna try the stock and hot water first and go from there!!!

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
I do a bit of the Blue Buffalo canned food from time to time... though chicken stock/warm water are both good options for dogs with tooth/chewing issues. Fortunately Roxy's ok with her kibbles and so she only gets the "wet food" as a treat from time to time.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@bulldogs4me where would I find that Honest Kitchen sounds like something she would gobble down. @aprilemari yep I have my DON'T FEED THIS OR THEY'LL DIE list up in my kitchen (i made it dramatic so anyone in house who comes to visit would take it seriously)... Thanks everyone I'm gonna try the stock and hot water first and go from there!!!

The stock will probably do the trick, mine love when I give them a treat like that makes breakfast or dinner so much better! but if you want to read up about honest kitchen the website address is www.thehonestkitchen.com and if you decide you want to try it they have a store locator you can click on and it will let you know what stores near you carry it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I give mine wet food mixed with some dry in the morning, then I wet the dry with warm water for dinner.

One thing I will mention is that if your bully is on a grain free diet, be sure the wet food is also grain free. It's amazing how they can sneak cheap grains in the wet food too. I personally use Taste of the Wild wet food, which is grain free and a modest $1.79 a can, which is less compared to the other grain free brands!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
we've been using warm water to soften her kibbles and seems to be working, and we also just bought her a bag of the exact same food brand & flavor in the puppy food to increase her protein. I also got her some treats soft chew sticks she LOVE'S them she does spinning buny hops for them LOL

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, no harm as long as you help keep her teeth clean. :yes:

And, hehe, bunny hops! So cute to picture!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah eats canned food at every meal along with her nibblets. i think it will be fine long as they are chewing on something hard like a nylabone or deer antler or you clean the teeth.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.