General Question always hungry puppy

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I feel like Penny is always hungry. We feed her 3 times a day 3/4 cup each time. She eats her food very fast as if she hasn't been fed in a long time. And she is constantly going into the laundry room where her food is just to try to get into it or she just stares at it. She begs for human food constantly even though we've never given her any, I feel terrible when I eat in front of her :( We cut up apples and give her little snacks of that a few times a day. She drink A LOT of water! So I was thinking would it be okay if I fed her 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3? I'm home with her all day, I think it would keep her more filled up... any suggestions? I feel so bad for her, I wish I could give her all the food she wants :(

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
She is a puppy the are always hungry, as far as changing her eating schedule I'm not 100% sure so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can help out.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
How much does she weigh and how old is she? Zam is 14 weeks, weighs about 20 pounds and eats twice a day. His daily intake is about 3 cups, which is in the range for his age and size. It's interesting to look at the feeding amount charts and see that he'll probably eat about that amount throughout his life. He'll get bigger but need less per pound as he ages and matures. He may actually end up eating less since I think he's going to be a pretty mellow fellow and not overly active. He'll need fewer calories. I find my bullys need less than the recommended amount often.

What are you feeding her? That matters too. Hopefully she's on a high quality food without a lot of fillers.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
You can probably give her some additional treats - blueberries, bananas, strawberries, etc - in addition to the apples throughout the day. I think puppies can just about eat as much as they want without weight gain, but you still don't want to over feed her. Herman has always had only 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 c of food per day - and when he was younger I'd mix it with pumpkin and yogurt and that seemed to make it more filling - so you can try that for one of her meals.

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I will have to try the pumpkin and yogurt. Would greek yogurt be okay? I have some of that. Thanks for the tip I'm sure that will help.

She is 18 pounds and I am feeding her Fromm puppy gold.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think greek is OK. Just make sure it's plain, non-flavored, never use sugar-free yogurt. I always used organic plain, whole milk yogurt. I had a hard time finding whole milk yogurt in the store near me - everything is low/no sugar, and 2% for dieters :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have her on a good food and I would stay with the 3 times a day. The amount is good as long as she is still gaining weight. Stay with the 3 times a day until she gets about 5 to 6 months old then switch to 2 times a day. Puppies are always hungry so don't let her fool you. As [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] has said you can always treat with the fruits if you wish.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree that Fromm puppy gold is a good food. You will find that a lot of bully owners on here recommend Fromm - it's very popular. I would stick with three times a day. Puppies are always hungry, and a lot of bulldogs you will find are always hungry. If they could learn to use the phone, every one of my bulldogs so far would have called and reported me to a relevant organisation against cruelty to animals, claiming that they are being mistreated, neglected and STARVED!!! Geez .. you'd think I never fed them at all the way they carry on! Bulldogs are the best at being drama queens!!! :hissy::girlcry::heartsign:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
You have her on a good food and I would stay with the 3 times a day. The amount is good as long as she is still gaining weight. Stay with the 3 times a day until she gets about 5 to 6 months old then switch to 2 times a day. Puppies are always hungry so don't let her fool you. As [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] has said you can always treat with the fruits if you wish.

I agree with David! :) Brutus is 15 months and still eats like he has been starved :) it's the game they play lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh I also Feed Fromm and have for 8 months now :) GreAt Great food :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I agree that Fromm puppy gold is a good food. You will find that a lot of bully owners on here recommend Fromm - it's very popular. I would stick with three times a day. Puppies are always hungry, and a lot of bulldogs you will find are always hungry. If they could learn to use the phone, every one of my bulldogs so far would have called and reported me to a relevant organisation against cruelty to animals, claiming that they are being mistreated, neglected and STARVED!!! Geez .. you'd think I never fed them at all the way they carry on! Bulldogs are the best at being drama queens!!! :hissy::girlcry::heartsign:
LOL so true! Penny woke up crying until I fed her this morning. It was 7:30 and I wanted to wait until 8, I gave in to her sobbing...

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If Penny was given all the food she could want, she'd be a bully porker. :laugh: Emma is 10 months now and you'd think she was starving. Wilson used to be like that too when he was younger now he's a slow eater. I agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] too. Heck both Emma and Wilson had no choice but to go to twice at day feedings at 9 weeks due to my work schedule. I don't leave food in the crate for choking reasons. Penny's a cutie!

Most Reactions

Members online