Help Needed! Help! Test results for my English Bulldog (Allergy Test)

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
I am going through some trouble with my English Bulldog Max. Currently, about a month ago, he was shedding badly. My family and I showed all of our shampoos that we use for him. The one shampoo is Hartz Groomer's Best Oatmeal shampoo... Now I've heard many things about if a bulldog is allergic to eating oats, it still doesn't matter about using an oat shampoo?

Here are the foods our vet recommends for our bulldog to eat...

Purina (HA Hypoallergenic)
Hill's (z/d Canine Ultra) Yes, read stuff that's got me worried a bit...
Natural Balance (Bison & Sweet Patato) Currently read there's a recall on it even though it was said no dog was reported to be harmed.
Alpha Strips (Venison Livers/Hearts
Royal Canin (Sensitivty RC 21)

Now, Max was recommended since little to eat Science Diet, I've read and read and trying to convince my family Science Diet is no good even though vets have said it's good...
I'm just really disappointed and frustrated because I don't know what are the best food brands for our English Bulldogs...
Again below is the copy of Max's results....

All the help like always, will be highly appreciated everyone, thanks!!!

Photo is below... Please click the link...

Photo Link

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay so I was looking at the results, is only the ones with numbers next to them things your bully is allergic to?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I see the food guru's have been tagged to you should get some good help soon. All the food the vet suggested aren't that good as you know. Finding a good food that agrees with your bully is always a challenge. Hope you find the right one soon with their help.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
My guy has the same allergies but much more severe. We feed him Natures Variety Instinct Salmon and its worked wonders.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Having that allergen list will make it easier. Choose a product you have confidence in. Compare the ingredients to what's on the list If it has one of then, NO. If it doesn't, maybe. Try grain and grass free. I use Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and had great results with my Allergy Queen.

There are a lot of things that can cause flair ups that weren't on the test for lists. Also, I don't know about the shampoo thing but it wouldn't hurt to switch to be sure. Hartz doesn't have the greatest reputation for making safe products any way. Also, don't forget, fall is here and shedding increases in spring and fall. My cats are dropping fur all over the place. It's easier to tell with them because their fur is longer but when one species starts the other does too in my house.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if i read the test right between the food allergens and the extended ones there is not much this dog can eat. i dunno maybe im not reading it right. is it just the extended one with the numbers you look at or both lists. ive already posted a food his dog can eat on his page its pure vita salmon and ive offered to look up more. more clarity on the results would help me.

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
i think it's saying the ones with number 2 and above are allergies. and it looks like he got the 'extended' test since that was the one with results? because all the primary foods are in the extended food list.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
ok so mildly allergic (1) to milk
low level allergies (2) to rice, lamb, potato & barley
high level allergies (3) to duck and oats.

Your protein sources need to be beef, chicken, pork, venison or turkey.
No rice. No oats. No barley. So your food choice must be grain free.

That leaves a few choices. Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Turkey Formula looks like a good place to start. It's one of those "all life stages" foods so Max will get all that he needs from it.

I would stay as far away from that Hills and Purina crap as possible. Science Diet is that food that all vets recommend. I think they get paid by the company or something. I'd stay away from that too.

If you want to start cooking for him yourself I can help you with that too :)

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Okay so I was looking at the results, is only the ones with numbers next to them things your bully is allergic to?

i think it's saying the ones with number 2 and above are allergies. and it looks like he got the 'extended' test since that was the one with results? because all the primary foods are in the extended food list.

There's an explanation of results on the bottom right. classes 5 & 6 are ultra high level, 4 is very high, 3 is high, 2 is low, 1 is very low. 0 means absent. If there is no class score listed it's assumed to be a 0.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
This is my bulldogs allergy results. N = Negative and P = Postive.
This one is for food only. I have one for plants, trees, grasses and molds but it's too long to post here.

null.jpg

I have him on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient (LID) Turkey. He still has allergy problems but those are environmental.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
This is my bulldogs allergy results. N = Negative and P = Positive BL = Borderline.
This one is for food only. I have one for plants, trees, grasses and molds but it's too long to post here.

null.jpg

I have him on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient (LID) Turkey. He still has allergy problems but those are environmental.

OP
Rusty

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
I have been here to look what everyone has said, reading right now... He is eating non-allergenic food right now... Yet, he is still shedding, especially after his recent bath, he had red "bumps/marks" which went away, now it's clear looking but he lost patches of hair...

Last edited:
OP
Rusty

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty

Anything that has a number next to them, you look at it, and then look at what the chart says about the number, I know he's allergic to barley... His old biscuits "MilkBone" had it in his ingredient... took it away from him when I read the ingredients... I guess with time, it builds up and not good for him to eat it...

OP
Rusty

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty

The number ones next to all that is listed, maybe he's not strongly allergic to them, but I keep it in mind to watch out for ingredients.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.