Food advice or suggestions? I need some help!

njgautier

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
harley & moe
Since I've got my bulldog Harley he's been in the vet for numerous skin issues. Since the day I got him I've been feeding him nutro natural choice puppy chicken and rice formula and raw food mostly chicken and turkey. About 2 months after having him he broke out with red bumps all over his body which looked like hives but also looked like demodex mites. After treatment with rx shampoos, antibiotics, and sprays my vet finally prescribed ivermectin even though he had negative skin scrapes at 2 different vet offices. After being on ivermectin and antibiotic for roughly 30 days the bumps went away but harley was miserable he was biting and scratching till he bled so we took him back to the vet where we were advised to discontinue the ivermectin. He explained to us that the reaction he was having wasn't common in demodex mange, he then prescribed a steroid more antibiotic and royal canin pr rabbit and potatoe formula. My question is being that this food is so expensive is there any alternative. I have noticed since he's been on the steroid and royal canin pr his coat is much softer and a lot less brittle.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would recommend you get him Allergy Tested. It's pretty obvious he has sensitivity to something and in the long run, will be cheaper for you AND much better for him to find out what he needs..or doesn't need. Royal Canin is a very low rated food. Vets tend to recommend the food that the salesman hype to them, without any knowledge of its actual nutrional value. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is our resident food expert. I hope you can help him quickly..poor baby must be miserable.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I would get him off both the foods you've been feeding him and go grain free for starters. I like Taste of The wild Pacific Streem. No grains or grasses. It worked well for my Allergy Queen and my other dogs too. they have beautiful shinny, soft coats when they are clean. LOL

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Agreed. It sounds like something isn't agreeing with him. I'd request an allergy test and look to switch him to a chicken and grain free diet. We've been feeding Earthborn Great Plains Feast and no issues to report.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Agreed. It sounds like something isn't agreeing with him. I'd request an allergy test and look to switch him to a chicken and grain free diet. We've been feeding Earthborn Great Plains Feast and no issues to report.

Ummm lots of dogs have been found to be allergic to chicken lately. Duck, fish, turkey would be a better start and if you want to try other things wait until he's been clear for awhile.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ummm lots of dogs have been found to be allergic to chicken lately. Duck, fish, turkey would be a better start and if you want to try other things wait until he's been clear for awhile.

Ummmmmm..i think they mean chicken AND grain free diet. :D
we are also doing well with Earthborn Great Plains Feast (bison is the protein)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh he sounds miserable!! How old is he? If it were me, I would either try a limited ingredient diet (like Natures Variety LID) or get the allergy testing done. Depending on the age you may or may not need to do another test later, but I do think in this case it would be worth it to find out, then you can treat the source and not mask the symptoms with medications.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Since I've got my bulldog Harley he's been in the vet for numerous skin issues. Since the day I got him I've been feeding him nutro natural choice puppy chicken and rice formula and raw food mostly chicken and turkey. About 2 months after having him he broke out with red bumps all over his body which looked like hives but also looked like demodex mites. After treatment with rx shampoos, antibiotics, and sprays my vet finally prescribed ivermectin even though he had negative skin scrapes at 2 different vet offices. After being on ivermectin and antibiotic for roughly 30 days the bumps went away but harley was miserable he was biting and scratching till he bled so we took him back to the vet where we were advised to discontinue the ivermectin. He explained to us that the reaction he was having wasn't common in demodex mange, he then prescribed a steroid more antibiotic and royal canin pr rabbit and potatoe formula. My question is being that this food is so expensive is there any alternative. I have noticed since he's been on the steroid and royal canin pr his coat is much softer and a lot less brittle.

Herman has demodex, but he had positive scrapes for the mites and was given Ivermectin and antibiotic for the first 14 days. Not sure why you were given that without a positive scraping? How old is Harley?

Herman was on Earthborn Great Plains Feast - its bison, but also has lamb in it. So as suggested you might look into that one, but just be aware there are two proteins in that one.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
can you get earthborn meadow feast. you can also try blue buffalo basics. gosh he sounds miserable. did they tell you to use some benadryl for the itching. its 1 pill per 25 pounds. keep us updated.

flower

Sep 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
i've been feeding my other dog taste of the wild for a few years...pacific stre..excellent choice of food!!!am grain free...never a problem ♥

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online