General Question Am I doing this home cooking right??

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
So I started some home cooking for Lily.
I'm just not sure if I am feeding her the right amounts.
She is 9 months old and I am feeding her 1 cup in the am & 1 cup in the pm.
She also will get some fruits & veggies in the afternoon if she is hungry.
My question is do you think that is the right amount for a 9 month old puppy?
Should it be more? or maybe less?
Should I even be home cooking for a 9 month old?
She looks a little thick to me lately so I was trying to slim her down just a bit.
My hubby said to me the other day that she always looks hungry now and that I am not feeding her enough
What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, I'm feeding Tate about 1.5 cups twice a day and he's 20mos old, so i'm thinking since Lilly is still a growing puppy, she may need more than 1 cup at a time. You can monitor her by her weight and her activity level. I know you just recently started but these are some things to observe and will help you gauge if she's getting too little or too much food.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Well, I'm feeding Tate about 1.5 cups twice a day and he's 20mos old, so i'm thinking since Lilly is still a growing puppy, she may need more than 1 cup at a time. You can monitor her by her weight and her activity level. I know you just recently started but these are some things to observe and will help you gauge if she's getting too little or too much food.

I was thinking I should feed her about 1.5 cups twice a day which is what I used to do when she was on her kibble.
But then one vet I saw said she was a bit heavy and then I was at the pet store with Lily to get her a harness and this women came up to me and asked me if Lily was pregnant!!!!
That's when I cut her down to 1 cup twice a day.
But I don't want her to be hungry all the time. Especially a puppy!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Growing puppies probably will a little bit more so I would do the 1.5 cups. I have never fed a puppy like this so I am no expert!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do you drain the fat off the food you are making? If you want to make sure she does not get too heavy you can add green beans to her meal. Green beans have 0 calories, lots of fiber, and no sugar. She is a growing pup so make sure you are also adding a supplement. For snacks, try to cut out sugary ones... Like too many fruits or baby carrots. Sugar goes directly to the belly even in healthy treats! Now where is a pic of her "fluffiness"?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would think one and 1/2 cups twice a day and then go from there. you can always raise or lower it if needed. im so excited i hope all goes well for you. :2thumbs:

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
fatty.jpg fatty 2.jpg

OK then I will do 1 cup 1/2 and see how it goes. I thought she needed to lose a few pounds.
One vet I saw said she needed to lose a little and a women came up to me at the pet store and asked me if she was pregnant!!
I was so upset after that LOl
Here are some pics of her. How does her weight look to you guys??

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
just looking from that it seems like she could lose a few pounds. i think the waist should be a bit more defined but she doesnt look to bad. dont worry dear ive heard those comments about sarah for a long time now. i dont care what people say anymore. she is a bit heavy and i guess will always be. you just have to play around with it. if you do 1 and 1/2 and she gains some then cut it back. if she loses then add more. every dog is different.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
View attachment 27908 View attachment 27909

OK then I will do 1 cup 1/2 and see how it goes. I thought she needed to lose a few pounds.
One vet I saw said she needed to lose a little and a women came up to me at the pet store and asked me if she was pregnant!!
I was so upset after that LOl
Here are some pics of her. How does her weight look to you guys??
She does look a little thick But not too bad. How old is she? I think if she's a puppy and still growing I'd allow a little more fluff than is she's full grown.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
She does look a little thick But not too bad. How old is she? I think if she's a puppy and still growing I'd allow a little more fluff than is she's full grown.
She is 9 months. I was only giving her a cup 1/2 2x day then I went down 1 cup 2x a day.
I walk her twice sometimes 3 times a day. BUt she still is thick! I thought maybe the home cooking would help but I don't know..
Or maybe a lower cal kibble???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can give her 1/2 c of green beans to help fill her up, she does look a little thick :). Not too bad but I think 1 cup plus green beans should be more than enough.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.