General Question Feeding new puppy

relayer13

Sep 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
I am new to the site and a new EB puppy owner. My male is 11 weeks old. Currently I am feeding him Blue Buffalo chicken and rice for puppies. I also mix in a little water and a little Blue canned food. I also add either a tsp or so of cottage cheese or a hardboiled egg once a day. He also gets approx 500mg of Ester C once a day and a ¼ tsp of Probios at every feeding to help prevent loose stool as recommended by the breeder.
I am thinking of switching to Blue Wilderness because it appears better than the current Blue I am feeding. I welcome any suggestions or recommendations on my current feeding regiment or changes I should make. Also puppy food versus adult.
Thanks, I love the site.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi! Matilda is almost four months old, and I give her 2 cups of dry food a day. It's a special mix that her vet makes. I do 1/2 cup in morning, 1/2 cup at lunch, and 1 cup for dinner. I add in a urinary health supplement twice daily (she had a recent UTI so vet recommended), Legacy for Life supplements (it's just basically egg powder), 500mg of Ester C as well (also recommended by the breeder!), fish oil (recommended by vet), and Dasuquin joint supplements. The vet told me that she really only needs the Dasuquin, fish oil, and urinary ones, so I'm just finishing the bottles of the Legacy and Ester C and not purchasing them again. Oh, and I also give her a spoonful of nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese in the morning for calcium.

The vet told me that as long as your pup will eat dry food, there really is no need for wet food. Wet food is more for dogs that won't eat the dry food.

My breeder also had told me that I should feed her adult food, but the vet said they need a lot of the vitamins that puppy food provides. As I said, he makes special food, but it is a large breed puppy food, so that is what you should look for. :)

Good luck with your new baby!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs!

I am going to tag soem of the members that are real good on the food knowledge.... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I feed mine blue buffalo basics potato & Turkey grain free some frozen fruit for treats an some yogurt . cosequin joint supplement. I'm going to be switching to blue wilderness because it's better an also grain free an I feed them 4 times a day 1 cup in the morning 1/2 cup @ lunch 1/2 cup @ 4 or 5 then a 1/2 before bed. He's been doing well on bb but he's been itchy lately I think its just the change in weather he scratched his self so bad by his ear it turned into a yeast infection I feel so bad but I've been using ACV an it's been getting better. But you shouldn't feed your dog large breed dog food for bullies because it makes them grow faster an they put to much vit. D in it an it could be bad an some will tell you not to give them puppy food either. So good luck an I'll let you know how he does on blue wilderness.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Every bully is different as to what it can tolerate. It sounds like you are doing fine, you have no mention of runs or anything like that, if it aint broke don't fix it. At around 5 months old I start switching to adult food because of the joints growning too fast on these fellas. We don't want that to happen. [MENTION=6144]relayer13[/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Every bully is different as to what it can tolerate. It sounds like you are doing fine, you have no mention of runs or anything like that, if it aint broke don't fix it. At around 5 months old I start switching to adult food because of the joints growning too fast on these fellas. We don't want that to happen. @relayer13

I agree with Sherry. I know nothing about Blue, but if it's working ..let it be. Jake was on an All Stage Food from 11 weeks on. My vet ascribes to the same theory as Sherry..Puppy food has pretty high protein and she likes to see a slower growth for the sake of the hips and joints down the road. An all stage food is formulated for puppies through adults. Good Luck and let us know how he does!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes if you puppy is doing good on blue then id leave it be also until they get a bit older then we can see what else to feed. its hard enough to find something to feed a bully without changing it if its working.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.