General Question Things Bulldogs Can't Eat

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I've compiled a list from a number of different sources about things that bullies can't eat. Some of them I don't understand (hotdogs?) and some are obvious! I have this one on my fridge. Is there anything you would like to add, correct, or comment on? Or do you have an explanation for some of these - like why a bully can't eat a hotdog?

Bulldogs CAN'T eat:
  • Soy/Soybeans
  • Grapes/Raisins
  • Avocado
  • Chocolate
  • Toothpaste
  • Macadamian Nuts
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Corn Cobs
  • Hot Dogs
  • Pickles
  • Hooves/Rawhides

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know they warn against avocados..but every dog I've owned has lived with lots of Avocado trees and eaten at their leisure. In fact, Jake's mom was given avocados while nursing to help her keep her weight up. My vet used to joke that it must be "avocado season' when our Dobie got too plump!! :ROFL: And Avoderm dog food has avocados in it. I think it's because of the pits. Which NO dog I know has ever swallowed..INCLUDING Jake..who eats everything!!!! :laugh:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Perhaps its a certain type of hot dog or an ingredient in the hot dog. Some cheaper (which is the one most people will pick up for their dog - 99 cents, I've done it before!) hot dogs have chicken in them and a lot of bullies are allergic to chicken and some have corn syrup. I'd get the 100% beef, low-fat ones.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Stuff with Xylitol in it is a NO NO. Not only found in gum, but many folks are cooking with it as well.
[h=1][/h]

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think the avocado thing is a little off because A lot of people feed there bullys avoderm and that has them in it and it never makes them sick.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good info to be reminded of, about the hot dog, the only thing I could think of is a chocking hazard, as they are in small children also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Leaves from tomato plants--- tomatoes are okay tho :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Good info to be reminded of, about the hot dog, the only thing I could think of is a chocking hazard, as they are in small children also.

This would make sense!! I never knew about the tomato plants or chicken!! Hmmm... I've given Matilda chicken before! Should I stop? I don't think she's allergic.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION], not all bullies are allergic to chicken, so if it doesn't bother her and she doesn't start itching then she's fine with it.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=5993]ShariT[/MENTION] They can choke on raw hide really easy.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Stuff with Xylitol in it is a NO NO. Not only found in gum, but many folks are cooking with it as well.

Xylitol is found in a lot of things from childrens chewable vitamins to toothpaste/mouthwash. Even a small amount of this stuff can cause hypoglycemic shock or liver failure in dogs.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
You have to make sure to get kinds that don't shred so easily. Choking hazard! Even giving Matilda Greenies makes me nervous. I just make sure she chews them supervised and I throw them out when they're swallow-size.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Garlic falls in to the same category as avocado...in small amounts it can be beneficial.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Garlic falls in to the same category as avocado...in small amounts it can be beneficial.

We had a Dobie that ate 8 avocados in one day.. Ohhh AND 3 oranges! All that was left were the pits and the skin of the orange! Only side effect..she weighed 115 lbs but was a huge girl so she carried it well! :ROFL:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.