General Question Is Matilda a fatty?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda will be four months old next week and she is currently 19 lbs. Her vet didn't say anything about her being overweight (I forgot to ask, but I feel like he'd mention it if she was). She gets two cups of food a day. She's on a special brand of food that her vet makes. I feed her 1/2 cup at breakfast, 1/2 cup for lunch, and 1 cup at dinner. She also gets treats for everything she does (still potty-training!), but we break them up into teeny pieces.

Is she a healthy weight? Am I feeding her too much? I adore fat bullies but I obviously care more about her health!
tilly3mo (25).jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
A FATTY??

Uh...no you didnt! :eek:

It sounds like you are right on with the feedings and they vary so much. Remember..a fat Bully will not be a healthy Bully!

If you can get a picture of her so we can see her silhouette and from the top..that will help!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
A FATTY??

Uh...no you didnt! :eek:

It sounds like you are right on with the feedings and they vary so much. Remember..a fat Bully will not be a healthy Bully!

If you can get a picture of her so we can see her silhouette and from the top..that will help!

^_^ hahaha!

She looks beautiful!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Seated pics are so hard to tell. And a pup will have a bit of a belly (especially after meals) that an adult won't, or shouldn't.
Ideally you want an indent at the waist when viewed from above while standing. Should be able to easily feel ribs, but not see them.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Lari is right on... Puppies eat a lot because they are growing a lot so right after eating it shows more than on an adult.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Matilda will be four months old next week and she is currently 19 lbs. Her vet didn't say anything about her being overweight (I forgot to ask, but I feel like he'd mention it if she was). She gets two cups of food a day. She's on a special brand of food that her vet makes. I feed her 1/2 cup at breakfast, 1/2 cup for lunch, and 1 cup at dinner. She also gets treats for everything she does (still potty-training!), but we break them up into teeny pieces.

Is she a healthy weight? Am I feeding her too much? I adore fat bullies but I obviously care more about her health!
View attachment 27749

She looks like she is built just like Dublin. Short legs and stocky build. I work constantly on Dublin's weight. She could stand to lose at least another 3lbs. She is two and 48lb at last vet visit. Now, if another bullie had longer legs and a less stocky build that weight may just be perfect. She is on a pretty strict diet and I still have a hard time. Think of it this way. If a 5' 10" woman gained 10 lb you may hardly notice it, but put that weight on a 5' 2" ( me lol) and it would be glaringly obvious. Matilda looks beautiful by the way, but from experience do keep an eye on here weight. As most of us know it is easier to put on than take off :bitching:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Rub her sides to see if you can feel her ribs, it should feel like there is a thin soft blanket between your fingers and her ribs. Same with her spine. Just keep checking that regularly until you get used to what it should feel like. But she's probably OK since she's just a cute little baby!!!!!!

PS. I just checked Herman's and the ribs are getting a little hard to find DOH! :blink:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Here's the best I could do... She won't sit still! haha look at that big belly. The rib thing is a good idea, thank you! And thank you guys! She is a sweetie!
photo.jpg

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My girls is 14 weeks and weighs 22 lbs the vet told me she is just solid and he thinks she will be about 60lbs full grown but he wasnt worried. I think every bully is different and develope differently. I think she looks perfect!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thank you all so much! Matilda is about 11 weeks, so I guess she's getting there a bit quickly... haha! I'm glad I'm not feeding her too much - it's so hard to tell with bullies since they don't ever seem to be full. Matilda will eat anything and everything - like a little goat!

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
I have the same problem with JJ cos he always seems to be hungry. He is 6months and weighs in at 44lbs but, in my opinion, does not look 'that' fat :)

I have a feeling he is going to weigh over 70lbs fully grown.
jeffrey.jpg

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I think she looks good to me franklin could lose a couple of pounds

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts