# 3 tablespoons corn oil
# 2 cups whole wheat flour
# 1 1/2 cups white flour
# 1/2 cup cornmeal
# 1/2 cup celery, diced fine
# 1/8 cup red bell peppers, diced fine
# 1/2 cup shredded carrots
# 1 clove minced garlic

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix water and oil. Add flour, cornmeal, vegetables and garlic. Knead dough for 2 to 3 minutes and roll into 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Never-say-diet Cheese Treats

# 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
# 1/2 cup green beans, coked and mashed
# 3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
# 1 cup beef broth
# 1/4 cup skim milk
# 1 tablespoon margarine

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix shredded cheddar cheese with flour. Add skim milk, margarine and beef broth. Knead dough until firm and roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into tempting shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 30 cookies.

61109_155513981145267_107836919246307_389729_7260490_n.jpg

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I make homemade treats for my babies about once a month. They cant have wheat or corn so i use potato, rice or soy flour. They also have a gluten free flour.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks I have always wondered about the wheat flour in all of these recipes!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The vet on Saturday said Onions and garlic are a big NO-NO for dogs. Anyone else hear about this?

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The vet on Saturday said Onions and garlic are a big NO-NO for dogs. Anyone else hear about this?

Absolutely! Onions especially. Garlic can be eaten in small amounts, and some believe it is actually good for them. I am hesitant about that tho.

Onions are lethal to dogs. We posted a list awhile back of foods that are bad:

Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing.

I would probably omit the garlic out of recipe #1 and replace it with green beans. :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Nice recipes but that is the cutest picture of a bulldog I've ever seen! Little chef bully! :heart:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I am going to find my "doggie" recipes I made for Georgia when she was prego, I COULD NOT get her to eat dog food and I consulted her vet about the ingrediants, minced garlic is GOOD for your dogs but like desertskybulldogs said in small amounts. I got this from a web site but went to the horses mouth (my vet) to clarify . I have recipes for meals and treats hopefully I can find it today and i will post it. My Georgia has allergies to wheat, corn, so all these recipes will be allergy friendly.
Garlic: A Long List of Benefits

Life many powerful herbs, garlic has been tested for a vast array of medical conditions. The following list includes the most common applications for dogs.
Garlic has a high sulfur content, and it is thought that the sulfur, excreted through the dog's skin, repels fleas, ticks, mites and other biting insects. The sulfur excretion can also help rid the dog of bacterial or fungal microbes that may be present on the skin, helping to heal itching, irritated skin.

Fleas aren't the only pests put off by garlic. Worms in the digestive tract are repelled by garlic. In a dog that has had repeated infestations of worms, garlic can be fed once or twice a week as a preventative.

Garlic is also a potent anti-fungal agent. It can be used topically on fungal skin infections.

Sulfur excretion also occurs in the dog's lungs, making garlic a strong expectorant. It encourages the expulsion of irritants such as dust, spores and pollen from the lungs, and helps kill any bacteria that may be present in the lungs. This makes it a perfect remedy for hay fever, seasonal allergies, kennel cough, or any other respiratory problems.

Garlic also kills bacteria internally. Any conditions or infections that are caused by bacteria, internal and external, can be treated with garlic supplementation. It can also help prevent wounds from becoming infected.

Owners of diabetic dogs, take note: Animal and human studies have shown that garlic can reduce blood-sugar levels. Researchers noted an increase in serum insulin and improvement in liver glycogen storage after garlic administration.

In humans, garlic's most publicized successes have concerned its ability to lower blood cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Because it improves circulation, dogs who suffer from arthritis will benefit from periodic garlic supplementation.

Garlic also promotes the production of white blood cells, thus strengthening the dog's resistance to infection of all kinds. That makes it a powerful treatment for dogs with low or compromised immunity (such as hunting dogs that are worked heavily in cold and wet weather, or show dogs that are taken to numerous shows or competitions). This would include exhaustion and other nonspecific conditions associated with a subtle decline in health. Garlic can help bolster an immune response following exposure to strange dogs.

Immune system support is also helpful for newborn puppies and their mothers. In this case, a smaller dose of garlic would be fed to the mother. Garlic is passed through her milk to the puppies, benefiting both by fighting infections. Due to this antibacterial action, as well as its ability to support digestive function, garlic combats diarrhea in puppies.

Human studies have demonstrated that allicin, the 'active ingredient' in garlic, increases the levels of two important antioxidant enzymes in the blood: catylase and glutathione peroxidase, confirming the antioxidant and free-radical scavenging potential of allicin.

Garlic has been shown to help re-colonize bacteria in the gut, so garlic supplementation can be beneficial for any dog that has been treated with conventional antibiotics, which can wipe out 'good' gut bacteria.

Garlic is widely thought to have anti-cancer properties. The research is promising enough that garlic is recommended for any dog with cancer.

If you feed dried garlic, whether in a powdered or granulated form, the important thing is to get garlic that has not been heat-treated. Also, if you are taking garlic tablets, it is important to know whether your brand is actually dissolving after you take it. Click here to do a simple home test you can do now, to test your garlic supplement, and other vitamins!

Fresh garlic is the least expensive option, and is the most potent form of the herb. But not everyone is willing to spend time chopping it up for their dogs to eat, and not all dogs will eat it, even if it is mixed into their food. You may have to experiment a little to determine which form is most palatable for your dog. The fussiest eaters may benefit from pure, cold-processed garlic oil, which several manufacturers produce in gelatin capsules.

Begin with a low dose, introducing garlic in increasing amounts over a week or two until you are feeding the entire dose. According to Self, an average dose of garlic for large dogs should be about one fresh, crushed garlic clove per day. If you feed pure, cold-pressed garlic powder or granules, the equivalent is about a half-teaspoon. The suggestion for medium-sized dogs is half a clove (or 1/4 teaspoon of powder); for small dogs, give just a quarter clove (or a pinch or two of the powder).

As with any drug or herb, it's important to watch for any sensitivities particular in your dog's body. Some herbalists say that a high daily dose of fresh garlic, given for long periods of time, can deplete the intestinal flora. If the condition you are treating is seasonal, or if the treatment is successful, slowly decrease the dose after the dog improves and maintains the improvement

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.