Help Needed! Elevated Feeder? Yes or no?

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
[MENTION=10711]pcchenard[/MENTION] I guess you will have to ask the experts that did a study on bloat that question. I got that info from a study that some vets did on the causes and prevention of bloat.

Do you have a link to that study?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
This is what i could find :
"(...)However, studies on risk factors for bloat associated with elevated feeders are unclear. Conflicting results from research studies is not that uncommon. Results may differ because different techniques are used or other medical conditions are present. Elevated feeders could also influence other factors such as the speed of eating. More research needs to be done on GDV in relation to using elevated feeders. It is uncertain whether anything we do such as changing the amount of exercise, using elevated feeders, or speed of eating will decrease or increase the rate of bloat."
http://www.vetinfo.com/elevated-dog-feeder.html#b

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy is a super fast gobbler. I tried a couple of slow feeding bowls but really didn't help us much. I started adding water to her dry food and miraculously she slowed way down. She used to eat her 1 cup of dry food in less than a minute. Now it usually takes her about 3-4 minutes. And I've noticed much less gas. I'm in no way an expert but I do know it works for us.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Well this stinks. I just finished making a raised feeder/water bowl out of heart pine. I did an experiment I had heard about first before building it. It DID slow Dooley down a great bit eating from an elevated bowl and also cut back on the amount of water/drool on the floor after he drank water. I tried the slow feed ball in the bowl and he would move it around till if fell out the bowl, then dive in and inhale his food.

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well this stinks. I just finished making a raised feeder/water bowl out of heart pine. I did an experiment I had heard about first before building it. It DID slow Dooley down a great bit eating from an elevated bowl and also cut back on the amount of water/drool on the floor after he drank water. I tried the slow feed ball in the bowl and he would move it around till if fell out the bowl, then dive in and inhale his food.

I have a Kong Wobbler that I feed Lola from every once in a while and it takes her about 10 min. to eat her meal. I don't want to feed her ever meal like that though. But you might want to try one of those if for nothing more than something fun for your Bully to do.

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy is a super fast gobbler. I tried a couple of slow feeding bowls but really didn't help us much. I started adding water to her dry food and miraculously she slowed way down. She used to eat her 1 cup of dry food in less than a minute. Now it usually takes her about 3-4 minutes. And I've noticed much less gas. I'm in no way an expert but I do know it works for us.

When Lola was younger I would add quite a bit of water to her food. I did that to try and control her food and water intake to help with house breaking. It does help if you limit when the water goes in because then they aren't drinking and peeing every two min. But lately, since she is older now, I have been adding just enough water to wet the dry food down a bit. It doesn't slow her down much but if I let her eat her food dry she will choke at least 4-6 times during every meal from eating the dry food too fast.

I'm curious what slow fee bowls people use and like. There are so many of them out there I'm not sure what to try...and cash is tight right now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10711]pcchenard[/MENTION] I will PM it to you. It's not the same site but it is another one I just Googled .

Members online

No members online now.