Help Needed! Elevated Feeder? Yes or no?

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Abbey is quickly outgrowing her puppy bowls and I've been looking at getting her some stainless steel replacements but I'm on the fence if I should get her an elevated feeder. I did for my Boxer, it was rumored to help with Bloat, but I don't know if Bullies need to have one. I want to get opinions from all of you who are much more educated about Bullies than me! :)

Abbey is a good eater, she is always hungry but doesn't seem to eat too fast.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would not get the elevated bowls. Here are some things that can prevent Bloat in dogs.

• Divide the day’s ration into three equal meals, spaced well apart.
  • Do not feed your dog from a raised food bowl.
  • Avoid feeding dry kibble that has fat among the first four ingredients listed on the label.
  • Avoid foods that contain citric acid.
  • Restrict access to water for one hour before and after meals.
  • Never let your dog drink a large amount of water all at once.
  • Avoid strenuous exercise on a full stomach.

Last edited:

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Thanks for posting this question. I have been thinking about this too for Petee. He is 9 months old and outgrown the small puppy bowls. Was thinking about getting raised SS bowls but now my question has been answered! He DOES eat his food fast- he ALWAYS acts hungry even though he is eating a good food ( Fromm grain free in beef Fratata and veg.). He gets 1 1/3 cup of food twice a day. He weighs about 45 lbs. I'm questioning now if I should split this up for three times a day because he is so hungry or just keep giving treats such as a bananas, green beans, etc. in between the two meals a day like I have been doing?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can still feed twice a day. That's what we do, but if you have a bully that scarfs his food down then you may need to get a slow feed bowl or put the stainless steel ball in there to slow them down.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When Maggie got pneumonia the vet told us to feed her from the raised bowls because she would almost certainly get it again. Then we kept reading about raised bowls causing bloat, and all this happened shortly after one of our members lost their bully to bloat.

So we were really caught between two things ... in the end we bought the raised bowl. But now Maggie is no longer with us we've put it away in storage.

All the bullys have the slow feeders now!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't have any slow feeder bowls, so I'm of no help there, sorry.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We got Bacon a slow feed bowl when he was on TOTW because he would just inhale his food, when we switched to Fromm he slowed down but we still use the slow feed bowl

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=4581]petee2[/MENTION] We got two of these from Petco and they seem to work ok for Bella and Linus who inhale their food. I swear it doesn't touch the sides going down!!! :crazy::crazy:

615102FB-F41F-449C-9DAA-DD9F98385A2F-5180-00000580D1445E08_zpsda8e84e2.jpg

LunchBox

Sep 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LunchBox
I have not heard much on "bloat" yet so I'm so happy that I clicked on this thread & read some of the things not to do! We just adopted our very first bullie tonight (21 mo old male) & while I've researched bulldogs a great deal, I know first-hand experience is going to be an entirely different ballgame. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We got Jake a Slow Feeder Ball from Amazon. Ours is actually porcelain and works great! I just keep it in the dishwasher so it gets washed all the time and I'm amazed how well it works!

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
[MENTION=4581]petee2[/MENTION] We got two of these from Petco and they seem to work ok for Bella and Linus who inhale their food. I swear it doesn't touch the sides going down!!! :crazy::crazy:

615102FB-F41F-449C-9DAA-DD9F98385A2F-5180-00000580D1445E08_zpsda8e84e2.jpg

We got one like this for Gunny. Worked for about a week. I swear he now just puts his mouth over it and sucks the food up like a shop vac. We are going to try a slow feed ball next and see if that helps.

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I would not get the elevated bowls. Here are some things that can prevent Bloat in dogs.

• Divide the day’s ration into three equal meals, spaced well apart.
  • Do not feed your dog from a raised food bowl.
  • Avoid feeding dry kibble that has fat among the first four ingredients listed on the label.
  • Avoid foods that contain citric acid.
  • Restrict access to water for one hour before and after meals.
  • Never let your dog drink a large amount of water all at once.
  • Avoid strenuous exercise on a full stomach.

I thought that the raised feeders were supposed to help prevent bloat? Please explain how hunching over a low, on the floor, bowl has less chance to cause bloat than a chest level bowl. My last bully had horrible gas when he ate from the floor but once he started eating from raised bowls he was less gassy and never he had any bloat issues.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=10711]pcchenard[/MENTION] I guess you will have to ask the experts that did a study on bloat that question. I got that info from a study that some vets did on the causes and prevention of bloat.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I need to invest in a slow feed ball cause Ace will gobble 1 1/4cups of kibble in less than 1 minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.