Feeding question?!?!

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
So I have a question...

We give Zeus the Blue Buffalo Wilderness food and, since he is getting big and older, we followed the directions on the bag on how much to give him. He is 8 months and he is getting 2 cups a day, one in the morning and one at night. Is that not enough?? My husband thinks that he is not getting enough food and should be getting 3 cups a day and I think that is to much!!!!

HELP!!!! I want my baby to be getting what he needs!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Jenn

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was on Taste of the Wild, and now is on Fromm and gets 3 cups a day. He is a little over 9 months and has been on three cups for quite some time now and is not overweight.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus is on Fromm and gets about 3 cups a day maybe a little more at 15 mnths...At 8 mnths he was eating almost 4 cups a day...You can increase a little bit and if his poo gets soft go back to what you were feeding...

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman is 6 months and is on Earthborn Holistics and eats 2 1/4 cups per day (this is what the bag says and he's always had this amount even on his old food although that food recommended almost 4 cups per day). He's a good weight, but I sometimes feel like I'm starving him - but I also look at the amount of food in his bowl and it does seem to be a decent amount.

Keep in mind any additional treats, etc that you might give him throughout the day as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It depends on the food and the protein in it. I use the look and feel method to determine if they are getting enough or too much. If you can see or easily feel their ribs, they need more food. If they do not have a defined waist then they are getting too much food. Buddy is 3 years old and maybe eats 2 to 2.5 cups a day. Some days he doesn't eat that much. He is a very picky eater, but he is at a good weight. Pups usually will be feed more as they are growing and once they get about 18 months old you can cut back on their food.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Wow I feel like a bad mommy. . BeBe get almost 2 cups a day and mister turd head gets a cup and a half a day even though i know he would eat more if i let him... But he's soo fat Im just starting to waist...

We stayed on totw but really like blue also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
banks has never gotten more than 2 cups a day... 1 am and 1 pm. Also, keep energy and activity level in mind ... less active = less food.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs also gets 2 cups a day. 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. However, he doesn't eat or drink when no one is home, so if he doesn't eat his am food then I don't give him his pm scoop! I can remember that when he was a puppy I fed him more frequently. His weight is perfect between 63-65lbs with a beautiful waist line! :-D

OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Tubs also gets 2 cups a day. 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. However, he doesn't eat or drink when no one is home, so if he doesn't eat his am food then I don't give him his pm scoop! I can remember that when he was a puppy I fed him more frequently. His weight is perfect between 63-65lbs with a beautiful waist line! :-D

Zeus doesn't eat while we are at work cause he is in his cage! We were going to try to get him out of his cage and maybe leave him in the kitchen but that will have to wait until the cat is out of the house!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
We actually baby gated him the kitchen when he was younger, but now he has the run of the house when we are not home and he doesn't touch anything while we are out. However, as soon as we sit down to eat dinner he is right at his bowls!!!! Talk about social eater!!! LOL :-)

OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
We actually baby gated him the kitchen when he was younger, but now he has the run of the house when we are not home and he doesn't touch anything while we are out. However, as soon as we sit down to eat dinner he is right at his bowls!!!! Talk about social eater!!! LOL :-)

That is what I wanna do speechmom53 but we have a cat too and I think if Zeus sees the cat jump the gates, he will do it too. I would have to get rid of the cat first and I am seriously considering it now bacause my landlord's wife txt me this morning that Zeus has been crying and howling for like a hour and I feel like a bad mommy!!!!!! I feel like crying!!!!!! :(

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Brutus is on Fromm and gets about 3 cups a day maybe a little more at 15 mnths...At 8 mnths he was eating almost 4 cups a day...You can increase a little bit and if his poo gets soft go back to what you were feeding...

@ chanelnbrutus...Kind of curious about why you said if you increase a little bit and his poo gets soft go back? Raven likes to eat once a day and I feed her almost two cups of food. Recently I noticed if my son measures out her two cups (seeing as he has a heavy hand) her poo gets a bit squishy. I know she is fine on the food because we haven't had any issues. Recently I was wondering if the soft poo is related to how much she is eating. I feed her merricks b4 grain so we know it's high in protein.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
@ chanelnbrutus...Kind of curious about why you said if you increase a little bit and his poo gets soft go back? Raven likes to eat once a day and I feed her almost two cups of food. Recently I noticed if my son measures out her two cups (seeing as he has a heavy hand) her poo gets a bit squishy. I know she is fine on the food because we haven't had any issues. Recently I was wondering if the soft poo is related to how much she is eating. I feed her merricks b4 grain so we know it's high in protein.

Yes sometimes when they eat too much it causes soft poo. Thats how we knew it was time to start cutting back a little on his food b/c hos poops were getting soft. Once we cut back 1/2 cup it firmed right up. I always fed my critters 2x a day even my pitbull. If she is okay with 2 cups maybe try 1 in the am and 1 in the pm to split it up. I am not sure about feeding under 2 cups a day. If her tummy is used to a certain amount going over that just a little could cause soft poop. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman

Just be sure it's a "measuring cup" cup, not a "coffee or mug" cup :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.