General Question 1 string bean = enough gas to run a diesel engine

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I gave Herman one frozen string bean - just one, cut into 3 pieces. He had gas for HOURS and it was horrible. Is this normal? He really liked them and I'd like to give him more as snacks, but not with this much gas. I've been afraid of giving him broccoli for this reason.

The same happened with carrots, initially, but then I end up picking up carrots out in the yard when they come out the other end LOL.

Any one have luck with other green veggies?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Mine love the green veggies and have never had any significant gad from them that I noticed. Maybe just because it is new to his system? Mine eat frozen green beans by the handful. Broccoli is gassy but peas, green beans and carrots shouldnt be so bad. Yes carrots DO come out the other end. haha Cutty doesnt chew so well so his are almost whole even. lol Same with kids tho really. My 1 yr old started eating raw carrots and it comes out in the same chewed pieces she ingests. Cooked carrots seem to absorb more into her system so I wonder if it would be the same for pups? Really it is used as an empty no calorie snack to keep my babies trim.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Most vegetables will come out whole the other end because they are protected by a layer of cellulose that the canine digestive system can't break down to digest. To get the most nutritional benefit from raw veggie snacks you should blanch them before freezing or feeding. A quick dip in some boiling water will start breakdown process of the cellulose and make them digestible and beneficial.

Fruits and veggies like apples and carrots are too fibrous to be digested in large, uncooked pieces. Those are best served in small, cut up pieces or ground up and mashed.

I haven't noticed any gas from Abby's 100% vegetarian diet, in fact, none of my babies suffer gas and they all enjoy the sweet potato mash daily :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon loves green beans as well but no gas. Same thing with the carrots as well, it does make for some colorful :poo:

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Yikes... I guess I'll have to try to wait it out. I'll give him another ONE today and see if the gas settles down LOL It did stop with the carrots, so I'm hopeful - but scared.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Most vegetables will come out whole the other end because they are protected by a layer of cellulose that the canine digestive system can't break down to digest. To get the most nutritional benefit from raw veggie snacks you should blanch them before freezing or feeding. A quick dip in some boiling water will start breakdown process of the cellulose and make them digestible and beneficial.

Fruits and veggies like apples and carrots are too fibrous to be digested in large, uncooked pieces. Those are best served in small, cut up pieces or ground up and mashed.

I haven't noticed any gas from Abby's 100% vegetarian diet, in fact, none of my babies suffer gas and they all enjoy the sweet potato mash daily :)

You should go for a science teacher position, you pretty much know everything already! lol.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Ok...the deed has been done. I have him a string bean. :blink: My fingers are crossed!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You should go for a science teacher position, you pretty much know everything already! lol.

no way Jose! Sometimes I don't want to deal with my own kids, what makes anyone think I'd be good with theirs :biglaugh::biglaugh:

When I tell you that I read everything that I could get my eyes on about food and diets when Abby was diagnosed, I'm not kidding! I am actually considering a course in canine nutrition and natural treatments tho.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I feed green beans and carrots etc. as snacks and so far I can only run a small boat engine :D We are now to the point that there is NO gas whatsoever, unless of course I give hubby green beans. Maybe just a matter of getting used to something new?

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I feed green beans and carrots etc. as snacks and so far I can only run a small boat engine :D We are now to the point that there is NO gas whatsoever, unless of course I give hubby green beans. Maybe just a matter of getting used to something new?

LOL Maybe, I still havent chanced it again. Luckily now the weather is getting cooler so I can open the windows instead of running the AC. Perhaps by next summer he'll be green bean ready.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online