Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Have tried to switch Punk from RC to Nature's Variety Instinct - picked out the RC and did not eat the NVI. So, tried Tuscan Natural Carne - same thing - picked out the RC and left the other. So, I guess she is a RC bully. I'm going to keep on trying others and maybe I can find one that I can mix with the RC that she will also eat.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Have tried to switch Punk from RC to Nature's Variety Instinct - picked out the RC and did not eat the NVI. So, tried Tuscan Natural Carne - same thing - picked out the RC and left the other. So, I guess she is a RC bully. I'm going to keep on trying others and maybe I can find one that I can mix with the RC that she will also eat.

Like kids and McDonalds versus vegetables..one is crap so they love it. They learn to eat what's good for them. I hope you can get her off the Royal Canin..for her long term health

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: you should try blue buffalo my dogs were on bad food I tried to switch them to Fromm , nvi, orijen they couldn't eat it I changed it to bb an they love it coats are smooth shiny soft the only difference between Fromm and blue buffalo basics turkey * potato grain free is Fromm has 2 protein sources in one bag.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
maybe you can phase him onto a diet of RC and a blander rice/chicken diet, then remove the RC, so just rice+chicken, and then phase in a better brand?

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Thanks much ! I will let you all know how things go with trying to switch her off the RC.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Are you giving him the food dry? Maybe if you add a little water or olive oil to it the flavors will blend and he will eat both? Bacon loves olive oil in his food and it's good for his coat

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Like kids and McDonalds versus vegetables..one is crap so they love it. They learn to eat what's good for them. I hope you can get her off the Royal Canin..for her long term health

And certainly we all have an opinion.
RC fits the needs of many bulldogs as well as many other breeds, not only here in the USA, but is very common in Europe.

As for McD's, again...all opinions are listed. Some are valid.

Good Day~

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Had to share that I giggled a bit at your dilemma. :)

I would try and mix something in, such as plain yogurt or plain pumpkin. It would be interesting if she can pick off the RC then. If not, you've got a terribly attentive bully there. :p

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

I can only speak from my own experience so here goes. Dublin came to us eating RC. I did my own research on it and just didn't like what I found but I didn't want to rock the boat with a new puppy. I do not know if RC was contributing to her Yeast but my belief is that it was. She would wolf that food down and really liked it. She was not what I would call a healthty bullie from the day we got her from the breeder. She looked beautiful and had a wonderful temperment. She did have a lot of gastric issues along with the yeast ( again, I have no definite proof if it was the food) I finally decided that it was time to switch her. Well of course I looked to this wonderful site and got lots of great advise. I settle on the Fromm and so off I went to pick up a bag. Oh my goodness, all flavors later I was not further along. She did the exact same thing as Punk'N, eating the RC and spitting out the Fromm and talk about the stink eye I got....:stinkeye: Back to the drawing board. I knew at that point I wanted a grain free product I just had to find one that she would eat. To make a very long story short. She new eats a mixture of Orijen ( Original Red) and TOTW ( Taste of the Wild) one with lamb. It turns out the are similiar in size as the RC we were feeding her. It took a while but I was determined to suceed. Not everyone will agree with this but I do add a heaped tablespoon of boiled ground beef to her two feedings and this helped move her along. She still has her yeast issues but no where near as bad and her gastric issues are all but gone. She does get a probiotic every day. Remember, you are the mom so you make the decisions:yes: It is just finding the right food and adding your own little touches to get her to eat. I am sure she will not starve....:nope: Good luck.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
And certainly we all have an opinion.
RC fits the needs of many bulldogs as well as many other breeds, not only here in the USA, but is very common in Europe.

As for McD's, again...all opinions are listed. Some are valid.

Good Day~

I'm sorry, but that was totally uncalled for.

RC fits the needs of many bulldogs just as Beneful fits the needs of many dogs, but that doesn't mean it's a quality food. Just because your vet sells you something doesn't earn it the quality label. We have a dog food ratings list here on EBN that lists foods in order of quality ingredients. I believe that list is based many years of experience with BULLDOGS. But you're right, maybe that list isn't scientific enough to validate our "opinions". So lets look elsewhere ok?

Dog Food Adviser's website lists it as a 4 star food and their data IS scientific. Oddly enough, only the Starter line warrants a rating. Dog Food Adviser states

"Judging by its ingredients alone, Royal Canin Starter appears to be an average dry dog food.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 32%, a fat level of 23% and estimated carbohydrates of about 38%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 32% and a mean fat level of 23%. Together, these figures suggest acarbohydrate content of 38% for the overall product line. And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 72%.
Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.

When you consider the protein-boosting effect of the wheat gluten, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a moderate amount of meat.
Bottom line?
Royal Canin Starter is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of chicken meal as its main source of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars. "

Or, if you prefer, we could go to the department of consumer affairs to read what actual users say. For every site that you show me that show's it is a great food choice, I can show you one that says it isnt. Just because someone's opinion differs than yours doesn't make it less valid. It makes it DIFFERENT and doesn't deserve to be called anything other than that. And you know what? Sometimes other peoples opinions are RIGHT and yours is the wrong one.

People come here because they need advise. @JAKEISGREAT gave hers. She didn't deserve to be attacked for it. I personally VALUE her opinions, experience and insight and even IF I disagree with something she says, I still consider her opinions no less VALID than my own.

NOW... back on topic...

I've found that mixing chicken broth works great when trying to get them to eat something new

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Thank all of you for your help. I am going to try mixing in a Lamb based dog food and add some olive oil to it. I have read about how olive oil helps with their coats. Punk so far, other than the seizures, has been a healthy bully along with my Corgi and mixed breed. I will let you know which food she decides to like. . . . . :2thumbs:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I love McDonalds... :2thumbs:

Twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun.
But hold the special sauce...! :barf:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I love McDonalds... :2thumbs:

Twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun.
But hold the special sauce...! :barf:

I will second that with extra special sauce ;)

Okay..is THIS based on OPINION or merely taste...or maybe ...:eek: FACTS!

Obviously..one man's opinion is another's fact!

:cursing:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online