Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royal Canin

Lucy-licious

Default Re: Royal Canin

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    They look better on TV commercials don't they..?

Attachment 27393
    I'm not jealous...i'm not jealous...I'm NOT....

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

Update on Punk and trying to switch food. Well I tried a Lamb / Rice formula mixed with the Royal Canin. My Punk is just a McDonald's kinda girl . . . . She picked out the RC from the other food and left it in the bowl - for several days! She is such a little (he, he) stinker . . . .

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Twice - to help with the yeast try about a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon in her water. That will affect her PH probably enough to stop the yeast from growing

In General - Royal Canin Bulldog caused the worst skin allergy breakout my dog ever had and caused it very quickly. I'm on the no RC band wagon big time.

You might bite the bullet and just stop putting the RC down for her. I know the potential for a problem with a fast switch but it might be worth it for a couple of days to get her off. Add some pumpkin to her new food to help stave off the runs. They like the pumpkin. Also I suggest totally grain free for bullies but watch the protein levels. Many are quite high and are too much for a bully. Dogs are often allergic to lamb from what I read. Surprised the heck out of me. I use a salmon based food and no, it doesn't smell any worse than any other dog food either before or after it's been eaten.
    Last edited by linwhite; 09-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I too was told Royal Canin was a good food by both the breeder and my vet, but after reading the ingredients, and questioning, and re questioning my vet, and still being told it was a good food, ( my vet sells this brand in her office ) I still wasn't happy with the corn and fillers in the Royal Canin. I went on line and Googled top dog food brands, and found many sites, and information, was very confusing. Then under one of the sites I was on, the English Bulldog News came up, and I signed up. Here I found all kinds of wonderful information, and I went on the Bulldog Nutrition site, and glad I did , I found a lot of really good information, and after reading all the information, and reading the blogs, I decided to switch my babies to Fromm, I had to do a bit of sleuthing to find a retailer that sells it, Petsmart and Petvalue don't, but I found it at Rens Pet Depot, and they carry all varieties of it, as well as the Fromm canned pts. I asked one of the girls there because, I was deciding between Fromms, or Wellness, and she was very knowledgeable about all the foods, but also recommended the Fromms brand, she spoke highly of it, showed me all the different varieties, and I made my decision to try it. I bought the smaller bag, as I still had 1/3 of a bag of Royal Canin left, and mixed it with the new food. I asked her if I should stay with the Puppy formula, and she said you could go to adult food, because they are 8 months old, or you can stay on Puppy Gold formula until they are a year old, she said it would be okay for my puppies, because they are nice and lean. I decided to go this route, and so they were fed their first mixed Royal Canin and Fromms puppy gold tonight, they loved it ate it all. We will monitor and see if they have any poop changes or reactions, hopefully not, and if all is good, then we have a new food that I can feel good about feeding them. Thanks for all the information and advice everyone. Will keep you posted as to how it goes. Even if this doesn't agree with them, I won't go back to the Royal Canin, I will try the Wellness, the Go Natural Grain Free, or the Orijen, until I find one that they can tolerate.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Biking girl View Post
    I too was told Royal Canin was a good food by both the breeder and my vet, but after reading the ingredients, and questioning, and re questioning my vet, and still being told it was a good food, ( my vet sells this brand in her office ) I still wasn't happy with the corn and fillers in the Royal Canin. I went on line and Googled top dog food brands, and found many sites, and information, was very confusing. Then under one of the sites I was on, the English Bulldog News came up, and I signed up. Here I found all kinds of wonderful information, and I went on the Bulldog Nutrition site, and glad I did , I found a lot of really good information, and after reading all the information, and reading the blogs, I decided to switch my babies to Fromm, I had to do a bit of sleuthing to find a retailer that sells it, Petsmart and Petvalue don't, but I found it at Rens Pet Depot, and they carry all varieties of it, as well as the Fromm canned pts. I asked one of the girls there because, I was deciding between Fromms, or Wellness, and she was very knowledgeable about all the foods, but also recommended the Fromms brand, she spoke highly of it, showed me all the different varieties, and I made my decision to try it. I bought the smaller bag, as I still had 1/3 of a bag of Royal Canin left, and mixed it with the new food. I asked her if I should stay with the Puppy formula, and she said you could go to adult food, because they are 8 months old, or you can stay on Puppy Gold formula until they are a year old, she said it would be okay for my puppies, because they are nice and lean. I decided to go this route, and so they were fed their first mixed Royal Canin and Fromms puppy gold tonight, they loved it ate it all. We will monitor and see if they have any poop changes or reactions, hopefully not, and if all is good, then we have a new food that I can feel good about feeding them. Thanks for all the information and advice everyone. Will keep you posted as to how it goes. Even if this doesn't agree with them, I won't go back to the Royal Canin, I will try the Wellness, the Go Natural Grain Free, or the Orijen, until I find one that they can tolerate.
    Hi there! Small world ... I currently live a half hour from you in Markham! So glad you joined the site! I used to feed Fromm to my boys before we went the raw route. If the puppy gold doesn't work, I'd try the all-stages line, such as beef fritatta or the salmon one. The beef is grain free is your babies are allergic to grains. We used to buy ours at a Global's Pet Food store which are all over the GTA I think. Some Pet Valu's have them too, not all though. G'luck with the transition! If you need any help, we're always here!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

It's wonderful that you did your research! Your babies will have a happier and healthier life because of it. Thanks for joining and posting and sharing your knowledge and experiences with all of us. That is what makes EBN a great site for any bully parents who want to do the very best they can for their bullies.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone, I have been researching, questioning, reading, and switching my babies food. They came from the Breeders on Royal Canin , but wanted to switch to a better food , tried Go natural, my female did well on it, Dozer not so much, he got diarrhea and started eating his stools. Switched back to the Royal, that was when they were 6 months old, they are both 8 months old now, and I just switched to Fromms Gold Puppy, Bulldozer has not had any problems, and I thought he would be the one, but Blossom, got really loose stools, not diarrhea , and had 2 poop accidents in her crate, as well as she was peeing a lot, she also had 3 pee accidents in the crate yesterday. After 3 baths yesterday, and 3 crate cleanings, and giving her benedryl last night, and also staying up with her until 4 am this morning, I am so happy to say that on day 3 of the new food, Blossom just had her 1st normal bowel movement, no longer mushy. Yeah. Still going to the vet today for her follow up on her eye after cherry eye surgery, so I will mention the excess peeing, just in case it is a bladder infection, and not just the food.. Just to make sure. But I think we have a new food for both of them ( Fromms) that they both tolerate. I will keep them on the puppy formula until they are a year old, just because they have been on Royal Canin, and I want to make sure they get the best nutrients, then I will put them on Fromms Beef Frittata .
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 10-15-2012 at 01:40 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Biking girl View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been researching, questioning, reading, and switching my babies food. They came from the Breeders on Royal Canin , but wanted to switch to a better food , tried Go natural, my female did well on it, Dozer not so much, he got diarrhea and started eating his stools. Switched back to the Royal, that was when they were 6 months old, they are both 8 months old now, and I just switched to Fromms Gold Puppy, Bulldozer has not had any problems, and I thought he would be the one, but Blossom, got really loose stools, not diarrhea , and had 2 poop accidents in her crate, as well as she was peeing a lot, she also had 3 pee accidents in the crate yesterday. After 3 baths yesterday, and 3 crate cleanings, and giving her benedryl last night, and also staying up with her until 4 am this morning, I am so happy to say that on day 3 of the new food, Blossom just had her 1st normal bowel movement, no longer mushy. Yeah. Still going to the vet today for her follow up on her eye after cherry eye surgery, so I will mention the excess peeing, just in case it is a bladder infection, and not just the food.. Just to make sure. But I think we have a new food for both of them ( Fromms) that they both tolerate. I will keep them on the puppy formula until they are a year old, just because they have been on Royal Canin, and I want to make sure they get the best nutrients, then I will put them on Fromms Beef Frittata .
    Great news... it takes time, but it will be well worth it in the long run
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Yeah thank you all for reading my blogs, and for your comments, every bit of information helps, especially if we all share our information with each other. I had Blossom, at the vet tonight, and told her what was happening, and that I had changed their food, she was happy with the Fromms, and said to just keep an eye on her, to give it about a week, and if she still seems to not tolerating it well , then I will put her back on the Go Natural Grain free, and I will leave Dozer on the Fromms, hopefully they will both be able to eat the same food , but if not it won't be a big deal, as they eat separate from each other, otherwise Blossom inhales her food, and then steals her brothers food. It's no different than if you had two cchildren and one had a food allergy, or intolerance, or even a dislike to a certain food, you would accommodate each child accordingly, and change their diets, to best suit their needs, my babies are no different. Good news was Blossom doesn't have a blader infection, but 3 weeks after fixing her right eye for cherry eye, the left eye popped out on Friday, so we booked her for surgery on Nov 9 th to fix the left eye. Was hoping we had dodged that bullet and she wouldn't get it in the other eye, but 3 months after the first one came out, her other eye popped out. So we have to fix, it and make it her eye pretty again.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    And certainly we all have an opinion.
    RC fits the needs of many bulldogs as well as many other breeds, not only here in the USA, but is very common in Europe.

As for McD's, again...all opinions are listed. Some are valid.

Good Day~
    yes we all are entitled to our opinion and thats what this forum is for no need to be like that. personally i think rc is crap to if you read the ingredients and that they should get their dogs onto something else. sarah did horrible on it also. maybe if they mixed in something like yogurt or something to both foods it would help
    Last edited by cowsmom; 10-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads