General Question Turkey versus chicken

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
When I cook for Zoey, I stay away from any grain at all and chicken just in case chicken is a culprit in her allergies. This may sound a bit dumb, but I wonder if turkey would cause the same reaction as chicken? They eat beef, deer, and pork right now with liver once a month. I also wonder if I should actually try chicken since I eliminated it the same time as any grain. She is in such a good place right now health wise that I don't want to set her back. What do you all think?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If she is doing well without the chicken, why chance it? Turkey shouldn't have an impact if her allergy is chicken..... Banks is highly allergic to chicken, but she is fine with turkey. remember not all are the same

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. If it aint broke, don't fix it...and turkey shouldn't cause a problem if her allergy is chicken. I would try the turkey though. Just to see if you can add another type of meat to her diet. Variety is important :)

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thanks guys. Variety is exactly why I wanted to try it. I switch it up each batch so she is not eating the same thing all the time and supplement with a MV. I went ahead and made up a batch with turkey last night and so far so good. I will know for sure this evening though as she will show signs of allergies usually within 24 hours of something different. Vet says she is at perfect weight right now so I do worry a little about dropping weight with something like turkey. I am still fighting the battle of not over feeding as she always wants to eat. I give 1-1/2 cups twice a day with snacks so I really hope I am feeding enough!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online