General Question swiching foods

greek

Aug 25, 2012
Brownstown,Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mojo
I have a 4 yr. old EB thinking about changing foods. She is on Royal Canin Bulldog24 Would like to change to Frmm Gold Large Breed Adult Fomula. Is this a good food & how do I go about swiching ? She eats 2c. twice a day.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi [MENTION=5803]greek[/MENTION] and :welcome:

First of all, Fromm is a great food but if it were my choice I would actually go for the 4 star range which is in fact better than their gold range. It's just a step up that's all.

Has she had any signs of allergies to anything??????

OP
greek

greek

Aug 25, 2012
Brownstown,Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mojo
We have just had her for about 2months ,but the people we got her from said she was low maintenace,so i don't think she has any allergies.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
OK .. so my personal choice would be to go with the Fromm 4* range. Doesn't sound like she has any food allergies so dont' worry about which flavour to go for. Personally, I switch between the salmon, beef frittata, and the surf n turf.

HOWEVER ... you DO have to transition slowly. I take it very slow, if you do it too quickly then you end up with diarrhea and so I figure there is nothing to lose by being extra careful. Every three days I change it by 1/4 cup.

So 1 3/4 cup Royal Canin to 1/4 cup Fromm for 3 days.
1 1/2 cup RC to 1/2 cup Fromm for 3 days
1 1/4 cup RC to 3/4 cup Fromm for 3 days.

and so on .....

HOWEVER, if she's on 2 cups of Royal Canin which is really just awful food, then when you put her on a good quality food you actually need to feed less than it even says on the Fromm bag.

So 2 cups now, could be 3/4 cups twice a day. Really depends on how much she weighs .

OP
greek

greek

Aug 25, 2012
Brownstown,Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mojo
Thank you very much for the help!!!! She weighs 45 lbs. I was wondering if the Fromm Gold would be better than the Royal Canin? I'm on a fixed income & can't afford the 4*.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd have to see her pic but I'd be tempted to do the full switch, and as I do it maybe give her 1 cup in the morning and 3/4 cup at night.

What you want is to stand over her and look down to see a nicely defined waist!! :up:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
One justification to the higher priced foods is that you use so much less. Many times the cheaper foods require you to feed twice as much just to get your bully enough nutrition. Princess Gracie is almost 6 yrs old and only gets about 3/4 cup of Fromm, twice a day. We pay $50 for 26 pounds of Fromm and if a cheaper food costs half that but you have to feed over twice as much then where is the saving?

Do a slow switch using 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old food each meal for about a week. Then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then go 3/4 new to 1/4 old for another week before giving him 100% new food. This is important because bullys have very sensitive tummys and too quick of a change may upset his tummy. If you notice soft poo while switching, back up and reduce the new food a little for a few days so his tummy can catch up to the switch. Another thing that helps during a switch is to add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to the mix *not pie filling but canned pumpkin*. Once you switch his food give him a few weeks on the new food and note how it has helped or not, but it takes a few weeks to get the old food out of his system. It can be a long process but is great when you find the right food..... Fromm Beef Frittata was that right food for Princess Gracie.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.