General Question English Bulldog finicky with his food.

bmfstunner

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi, I have a question for some bulldog experts (hehe), but before I say anything let it be known that I am a sucker and I know that I'm wrong for doing it...

Dexter, my English Bulldog is just over a year old and I love him to death, probably too much. I tend to spoil him and one thing I've done is fed him some scraps (because he sits and watches me eat and I break down because his will is stronger than mine). I give him very, very small portions and since I eat healthy most of the time, it's usually nothing too bad. I tend to give him little bits of Turkey Bacon in the morning and such. But the problem that has manifested is he won't take to his food, we feed him Fromm's. He'll either nibble at it or ignore it all together, I stopped giving him scraps about four days ago and he seems to be getting better about eating but it doesn't seem like he's excited to eat. This is a bulldog that would scraf his food down like it's no one's business. Is there anything that I can do to make him take to his food better besides not feeding him any scraps at all? Mind you, if I give him a bit of turkey bacon he eats like no ones business, so I feel it's not a illness issue.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm.. well you've either spoilt him rotten ... or he doesn't like that paticular Fromm. Which one are you giving him??

OP
B

bmfstunner

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
It's the duck and sweet potatoe one, when I first gave it to him, he ate it like crazy.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thats a fromm 4* range and you can change in between the flavours without having to transition. My suggestion would be to switch up the flavour and stop any kind of treat. Let's hope the new flavour will win him over, and if he doesn't get any food from you he should be ok. Personally I like the salmon and the beef frittata.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I found my dog loves coconut oil added in his food (goes crazy for it) - and it's good for them. Or maybe some salmon oil added on top? I'm not too sure my dog is as crazy about the salmon oil (he'll eat it all, but he frowns at it), but he loves the coconut oil!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Doesn't eat all of his food? Are you sure it is a bulldog? Jk they are all different.

L

Lucy-licious

I agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] as long as your not sticking to the one food because of allergies it's safe to change his flavour occasionally, maybe he's just fed up with eating duck all the time. As long as you stick within the same Fromm range you can switch without having to do it gradually.
a spoon full of yoghurt or cottage cheese can help too...with the added benefit of being good for him x

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hi, I have a question for some bulldog experts (hehe), but before I say anything let it be known that I am a sucker and I know that I'm wrong for doing it...

Dexter, my English Bulldog is just over a year old and I love him to death, probably too much. I tend to spoil him and one thing I've done is fed him some scraps (because he sits and watches me eat and I break down because his will is stronger than mine). I give him very, very small portions and since I eat healthy most of the time, it's usually nothing too bad. I tend to give him little bits of Turkey Bacon in the morning and such. But the problem that has manifested is he won't take to his food, we feed him Fromm's. He'll either nibble at it or ignore it all together, I stopped giving him scraps about four days ago and he seems to be getting better about eating but it doesn't seem like he's excited to eat. This is a bulldog that would scraf his food down like it's no one's business. Is there anything that I can do to make him take to his food better besides not feeding him any scraps at all? Mind you, if I give him a bit of turkey bacon he eats like no ones business, so I feel it's not a illness issue.

I was searching post's this morning to see if anyone else was having the same type of problem as I am with Otis. I too have goone from I'll never give him human food to breaking down and giving him "good" scraps. Now he wont touch his morning food FOREVER and then picks at it instead of gobbiling it up. You would think he would be starving after not eating all night. Then same thing in the evening. I liked the "coconut oil" suggestion and will be trying that.

How has it been for you since your last post?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN and being OWNED by a bully. They WILL eat if they get hungry enough, but of course WE arent quite as stubborn as they are. Add a tablespoon of plain, Greek yogurt and a tiny bit of water to his food. Canned fromm for a topper works too.

:pics:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
My boxer needs to be coaxed to eat, she went years being free fed, and once we got the bulldog, that was no longer an option. We get the low sodium, organic, free range, yada, yada chicken or beef broth. We barely put any on her food, but she thinks she is getting something special as it came out of the fridge. I think it is more the smell than anything. She will gobble it up.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have a boston like that he is so used to having something on his food he doesnt want to eat it without it. sometimes once you start the added stuff with there food they expect it from then on. or they could just be bored with the flavor it happens. maybe try another fromm flavor and see if that helps.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Well,
Late to the party again.

Yes....bad to feed human food.
Good to feed quality food.
Bad to free feed
Good to occasionally add in yogurt, cot cheese (rarely!), salmon oil,

Bad to not be consistent
Good to be fed at the same time, same way.

Bad SUPER FRANKEN STORM SANDY !

Good to be not there....

Good Day~

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I make Ambers food so there is never a time that she doesn't eat; she see's you with that bowl and will run you over at chow time. I do however add eggs to her food so maybe adding an egg (its great for their coats) will help him eat and won't throw him off base too far. Good luck.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I feel like I just read a really bad Dr. Seuss book... ha ha hahahahah.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online