Help Needed! Food allergy? Need help!!

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Hi it's me again, as my previous thread. I switch Philly food from nutro to Fromm. We initially fed him beef frittata he had an unpleasant reaction. No he is on salmon tunalini for several days he was fine until today he has irritation on his face fold I think tear strains and a hot spot in hi neck! Really confused on what to do I think Im to blame to make the switch.
do I take him to the vet or just observe first! Any other food I can try? My lady vet that recommended Fromm is back in Sarasota . We're going to a new vet. I'm really lost, I really don't want him back on nutro. He was doing fine his fur was great, he does not smell bad anymore. :crying:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do remember him having a reaction on the Beef...but what was the reaction? some bullies are super sensitive to salmon --- you may want to try the Game Bird -- it is pheasant/duck protein and still grain free.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh the food allergies can be so tough to figure out without having an allergy test done. It's just a guessing game and process of elimination otherwise. I had Wilson tested at 9 months give or take. I will have to have him tested again when he's a bit older for it to be accurate on enviromental allergies. There's several wonderful foods out there and sometimes what's good for one is not good for the other. Having gone through my own struggles with both Wilson and Jack (my non bully), I would try another flavor like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] suggested. I have fed Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Fromm (for Emma when she was a pup) and now Earthborn Holistic. I personally am quite happy with it. Jack had a reaction to the Earthborn Great Plains which is a Bison based food so I switched him to Earthborn's Coastal Catch. Wilson and Emma were both on the Earthborn Meadow Feast but I switched them over to the Coastal Catch too and they're both doing great on it.

Wilson also had terrible water eyes and tear stains that I always assumed was from his teething phase. Turned out he just needed to be on a grain free food. Once he was his eyes cleared up and they no longer rain tears.

Hang in there, it does get easier once you get them dialed in.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Seems like a food reaction n a strong one if all this came up n a few days. Did this start only after starting him on the tutalini or is this left over from the fritatta. If this started after the latest switch then you would want to get them off it as soon as you can. I hate to say it but you may have to use the nutro till you can find something else. If he was fine on it then I would get him back on it till you can get him stablized n healthy. Either that or the bland diet. You can use hibiclenz ok the hot spot n I just used peroxide n neosporin on the face folds but i think some use witch hazel. If you have douxo pads you can use those on both. If Jr doesn't get better n s few days then a vet visit maybe in order for the hot spot. Removing the allergen should help clear it up. I'm on phone hope this makes sense.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
thanks again, with the beef fritata he had the same symptoms except for the hot spot, when we switch to salmon he was fine, except for the tear stain, it was since the beef fritata. my daughter just told me that she gave him surf and turf last night. I'm putting witch hazel and neosporin ointment. I'm thinking of switching him to blue buffalo, a friend of my wife who has 2 bullies said its the only brand she tried that worked. were really lost and confused, were afraid to try another brand of dog food thinking it may get worst. :crazy:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks again, with the beef fritata he had the same symptoms except for the hot spot, when we switch to salmon he was fine, except for the tear stain, it was since the beef fritata. my daughter just told me that she gave him surf and turf last night. I'm putting witch hazel and neosporin ointment. I'm thinking of switching him to blue buffalo, a friend of my wife who has 2 bullies said its the only brand she tried that worked. were really lost and confused, were afraid to try another brand of dog food thinking it may get worst. :crazy:

Fromm surf/turf? I think has grains in it..... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I would not think one feeding of surf n turf would do this. It would seem that something in the fromm does not agree with your dog. Surf n turf does not have grains. You can spend a lot of time changing food n trying this n that. Some have done good on blue some have not. Blue has grains cept for the wilderness line. Have you considered an allergy test. Will tell you the allergies n can save you trials with food. If you want I can help you pick out a food but you need to get him off the fromm line it seems. What you need is time n a food he did fine on can give you that time to decide where to go next. You will come to appreciate a fall back food if one doesn't work out.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
i will tell my wife to ask the vet about the allergy test, she will take philly to the vet tom. since I'm back to work tom, end of my long vacation. thank you everyone
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can i pm you if something comes up with philly's visit thank you very much

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yyes of course you can n good luck n be sure to tell us what happens

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Yyes of course you can n good luck n be sure to tell us what happens

Hi everyone philly's doin ok, his face is not as red as the other day, went to the new vet. He said it might be the weather and since he was fine when he saw the vet. The vet said to observe first for a couple of days with the food. And if the symptoms comes back give Benadryl and come back to him. Thanks again to everyone. Also the apple cider works better than the witch hazel.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I put franklin on blue buffalo basics turkey & potato grain free its for dogs with food sensitivities he was on fromm an had a very bad reaction he's doing great now an the Turkey is the only one that's grain free we love it 22 percent protein no egg no corn no wheat no by-products no artificial color no artificial flavors no chicken or poultry no soy no dairy I love it an so do my dogs I can't get it in their bowl fast enough it wouldn't hurt to try it an if you go on there website they will give you a $5 coupon

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Hi everyone philly's doin ok, his face is not as red as the other day, went to the new vet. He said it might be the weather and since he was fine when he saw the vet. The vet said to observe first for a couple of days with the food. And if the symptoms comes back give Benadryl and come back to him. Thanks again to everyone. Also the apple cider works better than the witch hazel.
oh thats awsome. keep an eye out and keep us updated. i hope it is just the weather as fromm is a great food. these bullies are so sensitive you have to be a detective to figure things out.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Thank you guys, I will check on the blue buffalo. The vet gave Philly something Its a cream really don't know since my wife was the one who took him to the vet, he was quiet the whole day till tonite, played a little bit rough so he is on time out.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.