If your bully "woofs" his food down..

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
is it possible to change them over to "free feeding", where we just kept his bowl full all day? We do that with our Shih Tzu and he's not overweight, I'm just wondering if we can ever do that with Chester or if he will forever be relegated to 4:30am and 4:30 pm. I think he would just overeat and toss his "cookies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think you cannot. Sorry. :(

One of these days I am going to video Mandy eating. Her bowl is gone in about 10 seconds flat... no chewing involved.

She was probably so fat cuz they free fed her before I got her!

OP
LisaRN

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I think you cannot. Sorry. :(

One of these days I am going to video Mandy eating. Her bowl is gone in about 10 seconds flat... no chewing involved.

She was probably so fat cuz they free fed her before I got her!

I know.. Chester INHALES the stuff..no chewing at all for him either! He sounds like he hasn't eaten in a year as he snorts like a glutton the whole time he's eating!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I am sorry-- it wouldn't be a good idea either -because Bullys need food in their tummies at most times of the day, thats why the twice a day feeding. and if trying to loose weight try breaking it down to three times a day --but break the total daily amount down in three portions. it works. you do not need weight reduction food, it often puts weight on because of the carbs in it . and does your Shih Tzu ---ever get picky ??? it is because they know the dish is full all the time and they can choose to wait in case -YOU HAVE SOMETHING BETTER!!!! BUT buy a slowem down food dish from home improvements for 12.00 and it will slow them down eating and they wont swallow air and have so much gas!!!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I actually use a slow feed bowl with Bella. It is part of her EPI that she eats like she will never again. It took a couple different types of bowls to figure out what slowed her down. I also started making her sit and stay for her food, seems like that also calms her before she eats. She is on a strict schedule to to the need for enzymes etc... so of course my other two are also on a schedule!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I used to free feed my cocker spaniel Dexter...then we got Bertie. At first the free feeding was going just fine, then Bertie went to the Vet for surgery. When she came back after the surgery, she just wolfed everything down. I don't know if it was the fact that she couldn't eat hard food for a few days and she was scared that she wasn't going to get anymore food, or what....it is just easier now to feed both of them twice a day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Another good reason to feed on schedules is because of blood sugar. Idiopathic head tremors are THOUGHT to be caused by blood sugar drops......? Don't know if its truth or not, but I think I will go with it.

OP
LisaRN

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Thanks for all the input... I think I'll look for the slow feeder bowl just so he doesn't eat so fast at his twice daily feedings... it's not a pretty sight :eek: The shih tzu is perfect for his size, and not finnicky about his food..he's just a SLOW eater. One piece at a time and he may just put a few in his mouth and go somewhere else to eat them, then return to the bowl to do the same thing. I'd be waiting all day for him to eat..and that's why, at times, Chester eats his own and Milo's too :eek:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
If your Shih tzu was on a time limit, he will start eating it all at once. I learned that with my Sophie. She would eat a little and walk away, but if Abby was done, she would head for the rest of Sophies. Now that they are on a schedule, Sophie knows if she doesn't eat it, it gets put up. So now she is on a schedule like the rest.

It isn't hard to do this. Put the food down for 20 mins, then pick it up till the next feeding time. Keep repeating, he will figure it out.

Eating fast is also a risk for stomach "flips", at least this is what I am told. The slow feed bowl that works for Bella and another Bully I know it from Petco, it is a plastic round bowl with 4 dividers extending from the sides. the tunnels for the food are narrow and towards the end they have to use their tongues to get the rest. Bella eats as slow as Sophie now (our picky eater) The SS one from Petsmart had just a large hump in the middle of the bowl. The object was for the food to slip and rotate around the hump and the dog would have to work for it. I does not work with canned food or moistened foods (like Bella's w/enzymes) The food sticks and then won't slide in circles. It does work for my son's German Sheppard!

Last edited:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I feed Gertie and Ida twice a day, and even tho Ida eats FAST, she and Gertie both are very apt to leave a little in each dish. So I guess she only "inhales" til she's full?

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
there3 should be no need to do a 4:30 AM feeding, but as soon as you rise, and then again at supper. as long as it is opposite sides of the day approximately.
And the best way to create a FUSSY DOG THAT WONT EAT WHAT YOU WANT OR WHEN YOU WANT(to take a trip, Vet appt,or any time) SI TO FREE FEED!!!!!!!
any breed. But dont let them gulp it or they will swallow air,and create FLATULENCE gas-----go to

ImprovementsCatalog.com and this is the item #

Slow Feed Dog Bowl - Medium

$9.99

Slow Feed Dog Bowl - Large

$12.99

Specifications
What’s Included: 1 Slow Feed Dog Bowl
Slow Feed Dog Bowl Dimensions: Medium: 7-1/2"L x 6-1/2"D x 2-1/2"H
Large: 10"L x 8-1/2"D x 2-1/2"H
Materials: Plastic
Available Colors: Red
I hope these help. they are the best that I have seen, I use the large, they have better/thicker, blunt ended spikes. LindaParks 503-377-9640 any time I can help.

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Ha olaf is not you typical bulldog...he is a great free feeder. He takes a good 2 minutes after the bowl is down to even take just one bite....where as Ivana inhales her food. It is a 360 compared to olaf. We have them on a schedule (esp b/c of her) but he sleeps in our room at night and actually likes to eat late at night so we keep a bowl in the with some food since we are desperate to put some weight on him. I hear him snacking in the middle of the night lol.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Hi again, I must say again that your Bully is not eating right away-is tyhat he doesn't have to . and thats why you are trying to put weight on him/her. after a month --you will find that the dog will eagerly eat the food if they know it is going up in say 20 minuits. they snack all day and night-------and get choosy----
if you are trying to put weight on ,, try puppy food mixed with the adult, (just so it isn't so high in protein and cause a reaction to the skin) but it is more calories.
ImprovementsCatalog.com -------this is the best bowl I have ever seen,--

Slow Feed Dog Bowl - Medium

$9.99

Slow Feed Dog Bowl - Large

$12.99

I bet you have a great result in a month. to the snacking . LOL!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.