Help Needed! Need help again!

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Since we made the switch (yes, we did it gradually) to fromm puppy, our dog's stools have went from solid, to loose, and now liquid. We are wondering if it's the chicken since we've read on here that a lot of bulldogs have trouble with it. He will be 12 weeks on Tuesday. Do you think it's too early to put him on the fromm all stages, so we can try the beef frittata? If we do that, do we still change gradually even though he's having issues with this? :confused:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Plain pumpkin will stiff'n up the stool about a tablespoon a meal

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
what were you feeding before when the stools were good and how long has he been on the fromm puppy?

OP
Mountainlover

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
what were you feeding before when the stools were good and how long has he been on the fromm puppy?

His breeder had him on Iams. He had been transitioning since we brought him home a couple of weeks ago. Once he was completely on Fromm puppy ( a few days) his stools turned liquid. We picked up Fromm beef frittata yesterday. We started feeding him 1/2 and 1/2 and they have been solid since the first meal with the mixture. I know we are supposed to transition with less of the new but we opted to go 50-50 since he had diarrhea.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I tried Fromm for franklin an it was liquid. :poo: for 6 days straight every hour an as soon as I switched him to something else his. :poo: was back to normal the next time he. :poo: now I'm on blue buffalo basics turkey & potato grain free its for dogs with food sensitivity

he was on the other basics but it wasn't grain free an he was still itchy but when I switched to grain free he's awesome perfect. :poo: fur is so soft an shiny no red face no itching I know its not a 6 star food but we tried a lot of them and he couldn't handle everything in it. This is the best food for Franklin an both of my dogs love it if you look at it towards Fromm the only thing that's different is Fromm has different proteins in the same bag an for dogs with food sensitivities sometimes that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
His breeder had him on Iams. He had been transitioning since we brought him home a couple of weeks ago. Once he was completely on Fromm puppy ( a few days) his stools turned liquid. We picked up Fromm beef frittata yesterday. We started feeding him 1/2 and 1/2 and they have been solid since the first meal with the mixture. I know we are supposed to transition with less of the new but we opted to go 50-50 since he had diarrhea.

It sounds like you are on the right track. sadly..Fromm isn't the perfect food for ALL our Bully's. I would definitely stay away from chicken..and FYI..The Surf n Turf also has chicken in it!

OP
Mountainlover

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
It sounds like you are on the right track. sadly..Fromm isn't the perfect food for ALL our Bully's. I would definitely stay away from chicken..and FYI..The Surf n Turf also has chicken in it!

Yeah, my husband was ready to go buy Blue Buffalo (we had tried our Cavalier, Scarlett, on the small breed formula after the TOTW recall but she didn't do well on it) since it's easier to find around here but I wanted to try this first. Especially since we have a large bag of Chicken A' La Veg which Scarlett has been eating. Once that bag is gone we can have them on the same food without having to transition her. Thanks for the heads up about the Surf n Turf!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just another thing to consider ..... has he been tested for parasites? If it continues you might want to get a fecal done, and make sure that they test for giardia!!

OP
Mountainlover

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Just another thing to consider ..... has he been tested for parasites? If it continues you might want to get a fecal done, and make sure that they test for giardia!!

He's actually fine now that we have put him on a 50-50 blend of Fromm Puppy and Fromm Beef Frittata. But to answer your question, yes he was tested for parasites. He did have a couple of them when we first brought him home but he was treated for them and had been fine until we switched his food. Who would have figured he would do better on Iams puppy than Fromm puppy? lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He's actually fine now that we have put him on a 50-50 blend of Fromm Puppy and Fromm Beef Frittata. But to answer your question, yes he was tested for parasites. He did have a couple of them when we first brought him home but he was treated for them and had been fine until we switched his food. Who would have figured he would do better on Iams puppy than Fromm puppy? lol

Did he get treated twice or just once? Parasites like worms lay eggs and a reborn in 3 weeks...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Actually, the treatment is 3 rounds, two weeks apart. Today starts the third treatment.

Okay good! What is he taking? Sometimes the meds can cause the poo to get bad for awhile too, depending on what it is. Fromm puppy can also cause loose stool if feeding too much, even cutting back a little can firm the poop right up. If they get more than they can absorb, it's all extra and comes out in runny poo. Fromm 4* is completely different and grain free, glad it is helping so far!

OP
Mountainlover

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Okay good! What is he taking? Sometimes the meds can cause the poo to get bad for awhile too, depending on what it is. Fromm puppy can also cause loose stool if feeding too much, even cutting back a little can firm the poop right up. If they get more than they can absorb, it's all extra and comes out in runny poo. Fromm 4* is completely different and grain free, glad it is helping so far!

He wasn't taking any meds when his poo was runny. Today he started his 3rd and final round of Panacur for hookworms. He was also on Albon for coccidiosis but he was only on that for 8 days, so he's been off that for a while now. Fortunately our other dog didn't catch either from him. They said they will retest him when he comes back for his next round of shots on the 11th. He's still doing great now that we are mixing the two foods. I don't know if we were over feeding him or if it was the food, I'm just thankful his poo is back to normal. :) And I'm thankful for this website, otherwise we would have been completely clueless on what to do and probably would have taken him to the vet again.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He wasn't taking any meds when his poo was runny. Today he started his 3rd and final round of Panacur for hookworms. He was also on Albon for coccidiosis but he was only on that for 8 days, so he's been off that for a while now. Fortunately our other dog didn't catch either from him. They said they will retest him when he comes back for his next round of shots on the 11th. He's still doing great now that we are mixing the two foods. I don't know if we were over feeding him or if it was the food, I'm just thankful his poo is back to normal. :) And I'm thankful for this website, otherwise we would have been completely clueless on what to do and probably would have taken him to the vet again.

Worms or coccidia cause very loose stools, so it all makes sense now! You are on the right track and I think those pesky parasites sure got you all off on the wrong foot, but you are on your way. Glad it is all going so well so far with the switch!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.