Thread: Dog Food

Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet but Doc will be his name
    Likes (Received)

Default Dog Food

Hello everyone. Got another question for ya. I just realized how expensive Fromm is and was wondering if someone could offer a cheaper alternative that is also healthy and grain-free. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dog Food

We use Earthborne Holistic. It's a bit cheaper. Also..if you belong to Costco...they have Natures Domain. It's much cheaper and I believe we have it rated a 3 or 4. Avoderm is a good alternative too.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

We use Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. They make 2 that are grain free, no chicken (meal or parts). One is Bison and One is Venison.
    Both are about $43.00 for a 28 lb bag. I get a PetClub.

Or I also recommend Canidae also.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

We've been using Earthborn as well and the puppy vantage formula been great so far. We're in the process of switching from their puppy vantage formula to the Great Plains formula, so hopefully the success continues. I like that I can find it locally also, whereas Fromm, I can't.....it would either need to be ordered or would require an hour drive each way.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

From what others have said ... Earthborn seems to be the closest to Fromm.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

what I've been using is blue buffalo basics turkey & potato grain free It's for dogs with food sensitivity's its a 4 but I tried Fromm on franklin an it was way to rich for him he had the for 6 straight days every hour an this was the only thing that got him to stop itching stopped the hives the red face an it's like $50 for a 30lbs bag so its not bad good luck.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have used Natural Balance as does @AEBD. It worked well but I am not happy with the tear staining (maybe from the potato?) so I have switched two to NVI and one is in the process of a switch to Earthborn Holistic which (like NVI) uses tapioca in some of their foods as the starch and no potoato or grains.

Bully's Bikes and Books! Zoey1974's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey
    Likes (Received)

Or might I suggest home cooking? Mine are thriving on it and the cost really is less than the high quality foods. There is the time factor involved, but I can make up a week of food in under 30 minutes. Sorry folks, I am a true advocate of it now

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jenna
    Likes (Received)

I'm in the process of switching Jenna's food from Purina Pro Plan...since i got her she has been eating the Chicken & Rice which seemed to be working out..i picked up the wrong bag on my last purchase which was pro plan but lamb, rice & oatmeal (i think) anyway i noticed she was shedding more and started licking her feet...so i thought i would i would take this opportunity to switch her to a grain free food...alot of people here seem to think it's better...so i started her on natural balance alpha dog grain free...she seems to like it even though i'm still mixing it...the only thing i noticed she seems to be pooping more...it's been about 5 days...not runny or anything...do you think this is from the transition? she's about half new & half old right now....instead of pooping twice a day she's maybe three times..i don't think i'm over feeding

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

there is also a little known brand i used called nutrisource that has 2 grain free formulas that worked good on my bostons and its cheaper than the earthborn by a little bit. i do believe for the price earthborn is better but just throwing that out there.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    I'm in the process of switching Jenna's food from Purina Pro Plan...since i got her she has been eating the Chicken & Rice which seemed to be working out..i picked up the wrong bag on my last purchase which was pro plan but lamb, rice & oatmeal (i think) anyway i noticed she was shedding more and started licking her feet...so i thought i would i would take this opportunity to switch her to a grain free food...alot of people here seem to think it's better...so i started her on natural balance alpha dog grain free...she seems to like it even though i'm still mixing it...the only thing i noticed she seems to be pooping more...it's been about 5 days...not runny or anything...do you think this is from the transition? she's about half new & half old right now....instead of pooping twice a day she's maybe three times..i don't think i'm over feeding
    well could be going from grains to grain free but also could be from overfeefing. how old is she and how much are you feeding her. a better food usually means you have to feed less so you could just back it off a bit and see if the gets better.

Remove Ads