Dog Food

madelinekyle926

Aug 10, 2012
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet but Doc will be his name
Hello everyone. Got another question for ya. I just realized how expensive Fromm is and was wondering if someone could offer a cheaper alternative that is also healthy and grain-free. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We use Earthborne Holistic. It's a bit cheaper. Also..if you belong to Costco...they have Natures Domain. It's much cheaper and I believe we have it rated a 3 or 4. Avoderm is a good alternative too.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

We use Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. They make 2 that are grain free, no chicken (meal or parts). One is Bison and One is Venison.
Both are about $43.00 for a 28 lb bag. I get a PetClub.

Or I also recommend Canidae also.

Good Day~

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We've been using Earthborn as well and the puppy vantage formula been great so far. We're in the process of switching from their puppy vantage formula to the Great Plains formula, so hopefully the success continues. I like that I can find it locally also, whereas Fromm, I can't.....it would either need to be ordered or would require an hour drive each way.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
From what others have said ... Earthborn seems to be the closest to Fromm.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: what I've been using is blue buffalo basics turkey & potato grain free It's for dogs with food sensitivity's its a 4 but I tried Fromm on franklin an it was way to rich for him he had the :poo: for 6 straight days every hour an this was the only thing that got him to stop itching stopped the hives the red face an it's like $50 for a 30lbs bag so its not bad good luck.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have used Natural Balance as does @AEBD. It worked well but I am not happy with the tear staining (maybe from the potato?) so I have switched two to NVI and one is in the process of a switch to Earthborn Holistic which (like NVI) uses tapioca in some of their foods as the starch and no potoato or grains.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Or might I suggest home cooking? :D Mine are thriving on it and the cost really is less than the high quality foods. There is the time factor involved, but I can make up a week of food in under 30 minutes. Sorry folks, I am a true advocate of it now :luv:

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I'm in the process of switching Jenna's food from Purina Pro Plan...since i got her she has been eating the Chicken & Rice which seemed to be working out..i picked up the wrong bag on my last purchase which was pro plan but lamb, rice & oatmeal (i think) anyway i noticed she was shedding more and started licking her feet...so i thought i would i would take this opportunity to switch her to a grain free food...alot of people here seem to think it's better...so i started her on natural balance alpha dog grain free...she seems to like it even though i'm still mixing it...the only thing i noticed she seems to be pooping more...it's been about 5 days...not runny or anything...do you think this is from the transition? she's about half new & half old right now....instead of pooping twice a day she's maybe three times..i don't think i'm over feeding

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
there is also a little known brand i used called nutrisource that has 2 grain free formulas that worked good on my bostons and its cheaper than the earthborn by a little bit. i do believe for the price earthborn is better but just throwing that out there.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I'm in the process of switching Jenna's food from Purina Pro Plan...since i got her she has been eating the Chicken & Rice which seemed to be working out..i picked up the wrong bag on my last purchase which was pro plan but lamb, rice & oatmeal (i think) anyway i noticed she was shedding more and started licking her feet...so i thought i would i would take this opportunity to switch her to a grain free food...alot of people here seem to think it's better...so i started her on natural balance alpha dog grain free...she seems to like it even though i'm still mixing it...the only thing i noticed she seems to be pooping more...it's been about 5 days...not runny or anything...do you think this is from the transition? she's about half new & half old right now....instead of pooping twice a day she's maybe three times..i don't think i'm over feeding
well could be going from grains to grain free but also could be from overfeefing. how old is she and how much are you feeding her. a better food usually means you have to feed less so you could just back it off a bit and see if the :poo: gets better.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online