I think Philly is allergic to beef or to beef frittata need help.

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Hi guys, I changed phillys food from nutro to Fromm beef frittata started him 3 days ago with bland diet slowly mixing Fromm my concern is he is starting to itch mainly his face . This morning his right side has a scar from scratching it's already bleeding. Put on antibiotic ointment and cleaned with witch hazel. Also started to lick his feet, can I just switch the frittata to salmon or do I need to do the bland diet again, my vet is not in Miami now she's in Sarasota so I may bring him to another vet if it gets worst. I'm also giving him Benadryl.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
How long has he been on the bland diet? Did you do the bland diet first for a few days/week or did you go strait to the bland mixed with the beef? You CAN switch to the fish formula of FROMM 4* right off the bat. My question is could it be the chicken or rice in the bland diet? So hard to tell!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would think 3 days is a bit soon to know for sure but yes you can switch between the 4 star fromms without worry of transitioning. There are 5 (I think) varieties of the grain free now so maybe a diff one will do better?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Refresh my poor old memory! Why was Philly on the bland diet in the first place? you don't use the bland diet to transition between foods. Just slowly transition from nitro to Fromm..but yes..like others said you can go to salmon without normal transition but..I too..am wondering if it's not the chicken??

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Oh my vet instructed us to use rice and boiled beef for 3 days then mixed Fromm, started Fromm yesterday. And since the rice and beef he started to lick his paws, and when I mixed the Fromm he started to itch in the face. He pooped twice this morning the first is solid the second one is soft. I put him back to rice and beef. I'm just scared, don't know much about this. With my Dalmatian before he would eat anything as long as its mixed with some water and no transition on switch.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh my vet instructed us to use rice and boiled beef for 3 days then mixed Fromm, started Fromm yesterday. And since the rice and beef he started to lick his paws, and when I mixed the Fromm he started to itch in the face. He pooped twice this morning the first is solid the second one is soft. I put him back to rice and beef. I'm just scared, don't know much about this. With my Dalmatian before he would eat anything as long as its mixed with some water and no transition on switch.

Ohhhh..so no chicken in his bland diet! Now..why did vet put him on bland diet? Was he having problems on Nutro? His licking of paws and soft poo along with scratching are definitely signs of allergies. Trouble is..allergy to what? Could be beef in bland diet too. I would take him off Fromm..back on bland diet and watch his symptoms. don't feel bad..this is one of the hardest things to figure out. You can do an allergy test to narrow down his problems..will sve you lots of trouble nd money..or you can do the trial and error Way..not fun..but doable. I'll see if [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] has any ideas.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
We asked the vet about the smell and an occasion of vomiting. When we said he was eating nutro the vet said it may be the food and that she had several bad reviews on nutro with her patients and told us to switch to grain free Fromm.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would remove whatever you added to his diet that made the symptoms worse and see what happens, same was what others said.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
certainly sounds like could be a beef problem. i would stop the fromm and why not try chicken and rice and see if he gets better. lots of bullys dont do well with the chicken but it will help know if its the beef bothering him. then you can go from there. i would see how he did on the chicken and rice and then maybe see bout mixing in a new fromm after a bit. its trial and error with these dogs. you can always try some beef in at some point and see if he reacts again then you will know for sure. good luck

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Thank you guys, @ cows mom thank you I'll try chicken, Tom. We started him again with beef and rice, Philly is still asleep after eating. My wife just put some antibiotic ointment to his scar, I'm thinking it stings a little.

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
anyone recommend something with philly's itching, i cant use h.cortizone due to he already have a sore redness in the area. any anti itch remedy? powder or something? thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
anyone recommend something with philly's itching, i cant use h.cortizone due to he already have a sore redness in the area. any anti itch remedy? powder or something? thank you

Hydrocortizone is an anti-itch ointment.... why could you not use it?

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Hydrocortizone is an anti-itch ointment.... why could you not use it?

Im not sure in dogs,but i thought that if there is already a wound or bleeding hydrocortisone will delay the healing process of the wound. I may b wrong sorry about that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Im not sure in dogs,but i thought that if there is already a wound or bleeding hydrocortisone will delay the healing process of the wound. I may b wrong sorry about that.

SORRY... my mistake... I meant neosporian

OP
angelIV

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
Thanks I'll try that. I really need to have something to prevent him from scratching his face.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.