Help Needed! Food Allergies??

rbhII

Aug 25, 2012
Arkansas via New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hey guys. My boss recently moved across the country and couldn't take his 2 yro bully. Was tore up about it and wanted him to go to a good home so I adopted the guy. He's been fed Science Diet Sensitive Skin. Which I know isn't a good food for bulldogs. His jaws are slightly pink and he's breaking out in pimples along his stomach. He also licks his face quite often. Does it sound to you that it is food allergies?

I'm a poor graduate student, but will do anything in my power to make sure he's at the best health. I've bought and am going to switch his food to AvoDerm grain-free dry dog food. Should I gradually ease him off the Science Diet or just drop it and start with the AvoDerm?

This is my first post and I am thankful for coming across this site. I know I'll be able to learn a lot and be able to provide the best care for the lil guy. Thank you all for the help.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would do a slow switch. Bless you for giving him a home.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Oh we love pics here. Cant wait to see a pic

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh Food Guru.... Queen of they intestine --- [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]!

Welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs.... sandy will be along to help with the food questions. as for allergies, a lot of bullies are sensitive to chicken and grains

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: hello an. :smileywelcome: to ebn I would definitely do a slow switch just so he doesn't get the :poo: I've been through a lot of food to find a one that he ok with finally blue buffalo basics Turkey & potato grain free its for dogs with food allergies an sensitive stomachs he was on the salmon one but it wasn't grain free as soon as we switched the next day he was great no red face no itchy body it was awesome an he eats it like It's going out of style I know its not the best stuff out there but we tried that an it didn't work. An this has 22 percent protein witch I like cause he's a little lazy but besides he's daily walks so good luck on finding a food that fits your bully.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and yes do a slow switch with his food. It can be a hard thing to find the right food that agrees with some bullies. It's mainly trial and error unless you spend the money to do an allergy test with your vet to see just what he is allergic too.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Everyone's given great advice. Congrats on the new addition! Let us know how it goes with the cute guy. :)

OP
rbhII

rbhII

Aug 25, 2012
Arkansas via New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Again, this site is awesome! It's definitely going to help Dexter and I. I began the transition to AvoDerm grain free salmon & potato last night. So I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks when he's 100% on it if he's good. What I've heard from you all and what I've read on other threads I think he'll feel better once he's off that Science Diet. Thank you all for the support!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello and Welcome again.

You will get even more welcome's as time goes on.

Yes, there are MANY food related issues. Just spend some time and read through many of the already previously posted threads for lots of great advice.

Yes, switch over slowly.
Yes, many (most) Bullies are allergic to chicken and grain. Be sure and check what you are feeding as a treat? Look for threads about the treats as well.

And be sure and ask questions.

We know EVERYTHING ! But with so many of us....how could we be wrong?

Oh about loving a Bulldog of course...

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.