General Question food amount

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
How old are bully puppies when they go up to 3/4 cup from half? Lola looks good and is growing like she should but I want to make sure she is getting enough food. Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Are you feeding her 3 times a day? 1/2 to 3/4 cup three times a day is great and at about 6 months you can slowly cut out the midday feeding..and slowly increase to 1 cup twice a day. Remember..any increase in food can cause diaherria ..so go slow and if she develops runny poo..back the amount down for awhile and go slower while increasing amount.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you feeding her 3 times a day? 1/2 to 3/4 cup three times a day is great and at about 6 months you can slowly cut out the midday feeding..and slowly increase to 1 cup twice a day. Remember..any increase in food can cause diaherria ..so go slow and if she develops runny poo..back the amount down for awhile and go slower while increasing amount.

^^^^^^^ this advice has you covered

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Right now she is on 1/2 a cup 3 times a day just wondering when I should move her up to 3/4 of a cup? She is gaining weight growing like she should and doesnt look skinny at all so I think she is getting what she needs. I also give her coconut oil 1 teaspoon a day right now and 1 squirt of the grizzly oil a day along with a multivitamin. Is she getting enough?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Right now she is on 1/2 a cup 3 times a day just wondering when I should move her up to 3/4 of a cup? She is gaining weight growing like she should and doesnt look skinny at all so I think she is getting what she needs. I also give her coconut oil 1 teaspoon a day right now and 1 squirt of the grizzly oil a day along with a multivitamin. Is she getting enough?

This is how I adjust... Do the morning meal at 2/3 c for a few days to make sure she doesn't get the poopies. If she does, go back to 1/2 c and try a week later. If she doesn't, also go to 2/3 c for lunch. Again, do this a few days to see how her poo goes. At about 16 weeks she will probably eat 3 cups a day. Adjust according to weight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is how I adjust... Do the morning meal at 2/3 c for a few days to make sure she doesn't get the poopies. If she does, go back to 1/2 c and try a week later. If she doesn't, also go to 2/3 c for lunch. Again, do this a few days to see how her poo goes. At about 16 weeks she will probably eat 3 cups a day. Adjust according to weight.

Jake could never eat more than 2 cups a day without getting bad :poo: ..how my vet explained it is if he gets soft or runny poo at a certain amount..it too much for his system so go back to what he absorbs easily. And even 1 1/4 cup twice a day affected him. He did gain slower than some..but he's about 55 lbs ànd while he can eat lots of ineible stuff..he definitely has his limits on dog food!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Thats a good idea I will try that!

I think she will get the poops if I add to quick so going up one meal for a few days is a good idea!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Jake could never eat more than 2 cups a day without getting bad :poo: ..how my vet explained it is if he gets soft or runny poo at a certain amount..it too much for his system so go back to what he absorbs easily. And even 1 1/4 cup twice a day affected him. He did gain slower than some..but he's about 55 lbs ànd while he can eat lots of ineible stuff..he definitely has his limits on dog food!

Each bully is different, but usually during their prime growth stage (between 4-10 months) they require a bit more and then go down to 2 c a day once you start seeing visible weight gain.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.