Help Needed! Related or Completely Separate Issues?

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
My puppy will be 5 months old at the end of this month (august). She is doing ok but has some issues. She is super active. She doesn't socialize with other dogs nearly as often as I'd like her to. However, about a month ago we had her playing with another dog and they got a little rough. The next morning she had Cherry eye. I took her to the vet, and they put her on an ointment but said probably wouldn't help and most likely when I take her in to be spayed, she should have her eye surgery done too. So I have it planned for September 10th. I was doing some research today as I was planning to switch over her food. She was on Eukanuba Puppy which I've since been told is really awful (oops it's what she was on with breeder). So today I bought a bag of Fromm Beef Frittata based on recommendations I've found on this site. My questions, does anyone think the cherry eye could be related to the other food she was eating? After 3 weeks of ointment I found a post today that said to use similison red eye relief drops, which I just so happened to have from when my kids had pink eye. I put 3 drops in and held ice on the blob in her eye. Then I kept massaging in circular motions and kept trying to push it back towards her nose. It's disappeared at least for now but I am afraid it will pop back out. Food related? In addition, I also was told that she had dermodectic mange. I have an ointment that I am using on her for that as well. She has 3 spots. Does anyone think this could be related to the food or just normal puppy issues. I think that is all now ;)

Thanks!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
As far as the cherry eye Brutus's popped out 2 times in both eyes and both times I have massaged it back in...It hasnt come back at all! I dont belive it is food related but Im thinking if he does have allergies to food he is eating it could irrate his eyes...It could pop out from rough play as we belive thats what happend with Brutus both times. :2thumbs: on the food switch :) I dont know much about mange but I do know that her immune systems need to be boosted as when they have mange it gets low so adding some probiotics should help....Ill tag some peeps for you to see what they say

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The cherry eye should not be food related, if she is allergic to something in the food it would irritate it..... as ChanelnBrutus stated - her immune system needs a boost so use the probiotices in with the food switch and she will get back to normal.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on her progress.

also - not to worry about her not wanting to play with other dogs... let her be in their presence / company, but do not force her to play/interact I've notice a good number of bullies just rather be with their humans than other dogs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
far as i know cherry eye is not food related as chanelnbrutus said. mange seems to be immune related so in that way yes food would be involved. you have picked out a good food so maybe just add a probiotic and maybe some fish oil also. if you have trouble there are some people here who have dealt with mange and can add some things to this. good luck.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My puppy will be 5 months old at the end of this month (august). She is doing ok but has some issues. She is super active. She doesn't socialize with other dogs nearly as often as I'd like her to. However, about a month ago we had her playing with another dog and they got a little rough. The next morning she had Cherry eye. I took her to the vet, and they put her on an ointment but said probably wouldn't help and most likely when I take her in to be spayed, she should have her eye surgery done too. So I have it planned for September 10th. I was doing some research today as I was planning to switch over her food. She was on Eukanuba Puppy which I've since been told is really awful (oops it's what she was on with breeder). So today I bought a bag of Fromm Beef Frittata based on recommendations I've found on this site. My questions, does anyone think the cherry eye could be related to the other food she was eating? After 3 weeks of ointment I found a post today that said to use similison red eye relief drops, which I just so happened to have from when my kids had pink eye. I put 3 drops in and held ice on the blob in her eye. Then I kept massaging in circular motions and kept trying to push it back towards her nose. It's disappeared at least for now but I am afraid it will pop back out. Food related? In addition, I also was told that she had dermodectic mange. I have an ointment that I am using on her for that as well. She has 3 spots. Does anyone think this could be related to the food or just normal puppy issues. I think that is all now ;)

Thanks!

I have never heard of food causing a cherry eye. However, I think it's a good time to socialize perhaps in a local puppy class for obedience? Pet Smart or someplace like that.
Grizzly Salmon oil will pick up the antibody's as will a scoop of yogurt on a meal once a day.

I hope I helped with your question.

OP
midatlanticpower

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] Thank you all for your info! Everyone seems to know so much on this forum! ;)

As far as the probiotics, what type and how much should I give her?

PS I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure out how! ;)

Thanks

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
You could give her 1tbsp of yougurt with dinner and a raw egg in the morning if she will eat it with the shell too! Brutus would eat the egg raw though lol You could give her fish oil, salmon oil as stted above :)

OP
midatlanticpower

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
Wow, shell too?! LOL Do you break it or just put the whole egg in the bowl?

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, shell too?! LOL Do you break it or just put the whole egg in the bowl?

I thought the same thing :lol: Yes I was told to crack the egg and break the shell some and he would eat it :ROFL: he looked at me like are you crazy Ma? lol So I now scramble them for him. I wouldnt give her the egg everyday but the yogurt you can give at dinner time everyday...The oil would be good also either salmon or fish...The mange causes the immune system to get low and its harder for the body to fight it off .... I know mange is very hard to get rid off and it takes a lot of time...THere are some members who have dealt with this but of course I cant remember right now :bang: I will keep thinking :hmm: You may be here a while LOL) Hope things get better! Others will pop in also that can give some more advice on the mange!

Now how about some pictures :2thumbs:

OP
midatlanticpower

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
I thought the same thing :lol: Yes I was told to crack the egg and break the shell some and he would eat it :ROFL: he looked at me like are you crazy Ma? lol So I now scramble them for him. I wouldnt give her the egg everyday but the yogurt you can give at dinner time everyday...The oil would be good also either salmon or fish...The mange causes the immune system to get low and its harder for the body to fight it off .... I know mange is very hard to get rid off and it takes a lot of time...THere are some members who have dealt with this but of course I cant remember right now :bang: I will keep thinking :hmm: You may be here a while LOL) Hope things get better! Others will pop in also that can give some more advice on the mange!

Now how about some pictures :2thumbs:

I've got a few on here now ;) Take a peek!! If you click on my profile you can see her at 1 week old when we picked her out. Amazing out they go from so tiny to so chubby!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I've got a few on here now ;) Take a peek!! If you click on my profile you can see her at 1 week old when we picked her out. Amazing out they go from so tiny to so chubby!

Im going now :2thumbs: I know they grow way to fast but its fun watching how much they change :)

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

Awwww she was so tiny :) Such a little cutie pa tootie! Let me know if you need anything or help getting around here! This site helped me so much and still does! I learn something new everyday :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.