Help Needed! Puppy won't eat...

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Good morning, I think...has anyone's pup just woke up one morning out of the blue and not want to eat their food? Along with growl at you as though they wanted to eat you?!?!? So strange because she ate last night fine, as well as pooped, did her thing this morning too, but had such strange behavior when I tried to feed her. The first thing I thought was that she didn't feel well, but I tried some treats and she ate every variety. I then cooked up some chicken for her and she devoured it. I have been changing her food over to grain free, there is still a small amount of the other in the mix...she gets 1 1/4 cups grain free and 1/4 of the mixed. I have to admit, the grain free stinks! I did try just a bowl of the mixed before I cooked the chicken, but still a no go. I am not sure if it would be just that bag or is it Sophie has just become sick of it. I have never seen her walk away from food, EVER, I believe eating is her favorite thing in the world, so I am perplexed. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?
Thanks, Courtney

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not with my fur-kids ever. Which grain free are you switching to? There has never been a food (and I have tried MANY) that my boys didnt love. Some more than others but they eat everything. Could be the food. Is her behavior diff in any other way? She isnt throwing up or anything?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That's too much food! If I understand you give 1 1/2 cup each feeding? Honestly..if you are feeding 3 times a day..amount should be 1/2 to 3/4 cup each feeding. Twice a day..3/4 to 1 cup...working to an adult amount of 1 cup twice a day!

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
I realized I wrote that wrong, I feed her 2x a day with 1 cup each feeding, she is 43lbs, I meant she gets 3/4 grain free and 1/4 the mix, my mistake...her behavior, other than that momentary aggression, does not seem different. I played with her, she ran around outside a bit, she does seem tired, but she stayed up late last night with her sitter because I got home late from work. I find it odd that she ate the chicken and treats, but not the regular food. I even tried again, but she sniffed and walked away. I did put her heartworm pill in her food yesterday morning, which she ate, but she ate her second meal normally, so if any adverse reaction, I would think, should have happened then. But who knows...it is stressing me out a little...should I try a different bag??? Should I try a different food, but how can I do that without gradually switching??? Should I keep her on the chicken for a couple of days, then try again with the stuff I have???

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe try adding some yogurt or cottage cheese and mix it into the food? Could be the food then she isnt liking.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say no to the chicken unless you do think her tummy is upset. Giving her the chicken is just teaching her that if she doesnt want the kibble she gets better stuff. ;)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would say no to the chicken unless you do think her tummy is upset. Giving her the chicken is just teaching her that if she doesnt want the kibble she gets better stuff. ;)

This is what I was thinking. If she is eating everything else, it doesn't seem her appetite has diminished. Just that she isn't caring for the new food. Mine HATED a fish formula I tried a year ago and they just didn't want it! They would rather have starved than eat it so we only went through one bag. All three of them hated it. And BTW it smelled funky too! lol I would add something to it to get through the bag. Yogurt is usually a good choice or you can go with cottage cheese or something like that. Then, I would start looking for something else and start transitioning near the end of this bag that she doesn't like. Maybe the same food but a different flavor? If you are very anxious, you can just go back to the old food for a few weeks and then try something new again. All of this might upset her tummy a little but you need to do what you think is best.

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Well, she threw up the chicken. I thought maybe something was up because she went into her cage for a nap and she doesn't mind her cage at all, she sleeps best in it, but she only goes in on her own if she is very tired (she really never has gotten sick). I went in to check on her and she got up and came out and then let it out. I took her to the vet. No temp, no signs of much at all. He gave her a Cerenia shot for upset stomach, a penicillin injection and some tablets for her belly. He thinks she may have picked up a stomach bug at daycare the day before. I dunno, stressful week. She came right in and is sound asleep on the floor behind me...wish I could join her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What were you feeding her before, and what is the new food? Also, how old is your pup? It does also seem logical that she could've gotten a bug at daycare. Was this her first time there? Sorry I ask so many questions but details are important to me :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
I was feeding her Annamaet Encore 25% and switched to the grain free Annamaet Manitok Beef. She is 9 1/2 months old. It was her second time there, although I do buy her food there, it has a small area in front to buy necessities. I decided to bring her there so she can socialize. I live in a rough neighborhood, which brings along some rough dogs, and I only say that because there have been incidents. The closest dog park is overgrown and never used, so I wonder how socialized the neighborhood dogs really are, so I figured the daycare could be a great alternative. I kinda still do, I mean, it could be just bad luck, bad timing. At any rate, I think her shots or the pill are making her lethargic, she just wants to lie down. I luckily was sent home very early from my shift at work, so I just arrived and am going to hang with her. Thanks for all the replies!!!

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
This morning I put a few pieces of food on the ground to see Sophies reaction and she ate it, so I filled her bowl. She started to eat it, ate just a little, then started spitting it out a bit, then completely stopped. In my mind, she doesn't have the taste for it anymore. I also don't think it is an issue with her wanting treats instead or expecting people food. BUT, I could be wrong, I really can't be sure. BUT, it is not a regular thing with the people food or treats. She seems totally normal in every other way today, with playing, jumping around, chiming in when the other neighborhood dogs start a barkfest. She has gone up to her bowl a few times in passing to check it out, but walks away when she smells the stuff. I know she is hungry because there was a treat under my center island and she wiggled and crammed her way under to grab it and it is one of her least favorites. Not sure what my next step is. I have to honestly say that I don't want to give her the pill because she got so dry mouthed and blah seeming yesterday when I did. I guess I just don't know what to do next. My real question is how can I try a different food if I am to gradually switch over??

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This morning I put a few pieces of food on the ground to see Sophies reaction and she ate it, so I filled her bowl. She started to eat it, ate just a little, then started spitting it out a bit, then completely stopped. In my mind, she doesn't have the taste for it anymore. I also don't think it is an issue with her wanting treats instead or expecting people food. BUT, I could be wrong, I really can't be sure. BUT, it is not a regular thing with the people food or treats. She seems totally normal in every other way today, with playing, jumping around, chiming in when the other neighborhood dogs start a barkfest. She has gone up to her bowl a few times in passing to check it out, but walks away when she smells the stuff. I know she is hungry because there was a treat under my center island and she wiggled and crammed her way under to grab it and it is one of her least favorites. Not sure what my next step is. I have to honestly say that I don't want to give her the pill because she got so dry mouthed and blah seeming yesterday when I did. I guess I just don't know what to do next. My real question is how can I try a different food if I am to gradually switch over??

I am not familiar with that food, let's tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

You can change foods using bland diet. Give bland diet a couple of days then one day of half kibble half bland, then full kibble the next. Switching this way actually causes less of an upset tummy.

I am concerned. Maybe the bag of food is stale? You said it smelled bad right? I have gotten a bad bag of food before. I knew it immediately. Smelled funky! And my bullies never turned their nose up at anything before, but they would not eat it. I took it back to the store - they gave me a full refund.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.