wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Before you get angry, yes this is ANOTHER food questions thread LOL. As you know Guinness has had some problems with different allergies and trying many different foods. Well I thought I had found the answer by going back to FROMM adult gold as Guinness did great on FROMM gold puppy, but after a month or so he has got an infection then a secondary yeast infection in between his toes and in his ear, which the doc thinks could be triggered by the food as 15-30 minutes after he eats he turns brought red and starts itchin and then the moisture contributes to the yeast infection. Anyways doc wants to try meds and new food (which she provided samples of) to try and see if that will work. She gave us Hills z/d and purina hyper allergenic which I know are 1 star foods. she mentioned something about the protein being hydrolized (or something like that) so the body can digest it easier without the allergies kicking in. Anyways what do you guys reccommend? I know try a 6 star food. I have tried him on every FROMM 4 star and nothing has worked. If all of this doesn't work she said we can do an allergy test but she reccommended this line of attack first. Thanks in advance guys....and girls

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: well..the million dollar question! Jake didn't do so hot on Fromm either. I tried NVI salmon and he had an immediate reaction..so I went back to Fromm Beef. We ended up trying Earthborne Great Plains Feast..it's the best he's done..but some here had problems with it. It's just such an individual problem..without allergy testing..it's a crap shoot! The Hills prescription serves a purpose..but you don't want him on that very long. If it was me..I'd do the allergy testing..and maybe put him on the Bland Diet until you get the results back. If you want help narrowing foods down let [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] help you..she knows her foods!!

I miss Guinness..:D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Im on my phone so bear with me. The problem with fromm is they have several ingredients that are the same in all of them if I remember right. I know there is some milk products I'm there a lot of dogs don't do well with. I would get the test done it has helped me so much with my allergy ridden dog. I never thought is say this but if he is suffering and you are going to do the test then use the hills or bland diet as Jakeisgreat said till the results come back. If you are not then I would not leave my dog on this food. You have to change to something as the fromm is not working obviously. Nvi limited ingredient is a good one as is earthborn meadowfeast and then I like acana singles also for limited ingredient diets. Keep us updated and I hope he feels better

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I may leave him on the hills for now until the med regiment is over so I know the allergen and yeast issues will be resolved and when all variables are even I will then try some new food options...Thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for the suggestions

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I may leave him on the hills for now until the med regiment is over so I know the allergen and yeast issues will be resolved and when all variables are even I will then try some new food options...Thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for the suggestions
Oh he's already on the hills ok then yes its not good to change around to much to often. I will be hoping for a resolve for this. I'm around if you need something down the line.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Oh he's already on the hills ok then yes its not good to change around to much to often. I will be hoping for a resolve for this. I'm around if you need something down the line.

we got free samples of purina h/a and Hills z/d, so tonight I started him on the hills and he took a liking to it...he has been on FROMM gold adult

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ok, a four star food is California Natural and they have a kangaroo food. I would consider trying the NVI RAW foods to see if it is a certain protein that is doing it. The medallions would be a good choice. They have all kinds like rabbit, duck, venison, beef, turkey, etc.

Poor baby!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Let me know how he does on the food, I hear some dogs do well on hills. please

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It was because of you and Guniness I started home cooking for Tidus. With great success. I am on my iPod so I can't post the link, it is in the recipes section. You may consider this. Molly is next to join him on home cooked so I am looking forward to her results.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi....I've had the same issue with my two. I had them on Fromm,whitefish and potato. I read that some dogs, and especially bulldogs, can be prone to yeas and potato could really trigger it....as a starch,breaks down into sugar, and hello yeast proliferation. Trouble with lots of grain free high quality food is they use potato as the starch. I switched my guys to nature's variety limited ingredient Turkey. The starch in this food is tapioca and seems to help. I am only a month in and I also do filtered water now, but I think Wilbur's paws are improving and so is Layla 's nose rope and tear stains.
It's so hard...such a food roller coaster!

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Hi....I've had the same issue with my two. I had them on Fromm,whitefish and potato. I read that some dogs, and especially bulldogs, can be prone to yeas and potato could really trigger it....as a starch,breaks down into sugar, and hello yeast proliferation. Trouble with lots of grain free high quality food is they use potato as the starch. I switched my guys to nature's variety limited ingredient Turkey. The starch in this food is tapioca and seems to help. I am only a month in and I also do filtered water now, but I think Wilbur's paws are improving and so is Layla 's nose rope and tear stains.
It's so hard...such a food roller coaster!

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have had no other issues with my buddy at all completely healthy except for this damn food allergy issue, cannot seem to solve it

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
As a raw feeder I have say that when I was offered Hill's and RC prescription foods I was terrified af the incredients they are made of. There's not really one ingredient that you could say is natural and could give on it's own. it's all made by chemists. I would try raw food or home cooking. There's a lot of good recipies in the site dogaware and all around the internet.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
As a raw feeder I have say that when I was offered Hill's and RC prescription foods I was terrified af the incredients they are made of. There's not really one ingredient that you could say is natural and could give on it's own. it's all made by chemists. I would try raw food or home cooking. There's a lot of good recipies in the site dogaware and all around the internet.

I hear ya, soon as i got home with free samples I looked up the ingredients and was very hesitant. I didn't want to continue feeding him his normal food if that was contributing to the infection and would counteract the effects of the meds. I wasn't sure since they were hypoallergenics should i just use them till the medication is over then begin to switch foods. I didn't want to try a new more permanent food as I couldn't be sure the results if they were positive was from the new food or the medication kicking in.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
We all know hills is crap but you've already started him on it n he is on medication so I would leave him on the hills for a week or so n see if he gets better n then we can get him on a better food which is a given. You can give a probiotic n a vitamin to give him what he needs till we can switch him to something better. If he gets worse on the hills then we go from there. Just my 2 cents

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] I have decided to order and start guinness on nvi limited turkey to narrow some things down and see how he does. How are your guys doing so far?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.