Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for Guinness

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    As a raw feeder I have say that when I was offered Hill's and RC prescription foods I was terrified af the incredients they are made of. There's not really one ingredient that you could say is natural and could give on it's own. it's all made by chemists. I would try raw food or home cooking. There's a lot of good recipies in the site dogaware and all around the internet.
    I hear ya, soon as i got home with free samples I looked up the ingredients and was very hesitant. I didn't want to continue feeding him his normal food if that was contributing to the infection and would counteract the effects of the meds. I wasn't sure since they were hypoallergenics should i just use them till the medication is over then begin to switch foods. I didn't want to try a new more permanent food as I couldn't be sure the results if they were positive was from the new food or the medication kicking in.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help for Guinness

We all know hills is crap but you've already started him on it n he is on medication so I would leave him on the hills for a week or so n see if he gets better n then we can get him on a better food which is a given. You can give a probiotic n a vitamin to give him what he needs till we can switch him to something better. If he gets worse on the hills then we go from there. Just my 2 cents

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

@Momma2Bullies I have decided to order and start guinness on nvi limited turkey to narrow some things down and see how he does. How are your guys doing so far?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Going potato free with NVI salmon helped clear up Samson's yeast issues very quickly, I recommend it highly! Good luck!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

so do we have any feedback on how things are going?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

@cowsmom he is starting his second day out of four transition. He is still on one of the meds for the next 7 days so we will see how this all plays out. Thanks for checking in

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wfd38383 View Post
    @Momma2Bullies I have decided to order and start guinness on nvi limited turkey to narrow some things down and see how he does. How are your guys doing so far?
    Hey! Sorry I took so long to reply.... well it has been about 8 weeks for me on NVI LID turkey... I am sorry to report that I am not happy. Sigh. My female has a yeast infection in her nose rope and my male is on antibiotics for chin acne and I can see the start of skin fold infection happening... and the vet said both are related to food allergies. Is it too much protein? Type of protein (poultry)???
    So. I am kind of at a loss. Vet made a good point - I am still feeding them treats and stuff that is NOT hypoallergenic. I mean they are high quality (Nature's Variety $10 biscuits LOL), but not hypoallergenic. I am switching them back to Wellness, which they were awesome on until I started messing with things.

They totally improved on the NVi though - I want you to know that. It is just that there is ... something... still causing some issues. If I don't have success by November, I will be trying a serious hypoallergenic food trial to figure out the actual allergy issue. I truly believe diet can dictate health... I just want them to be well!!! arghhhh!!!!!
    Last edited by Momma2Bullies; 09-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

I'm late to the game, but as someone else suggested potatoes can be a factor in allergies. I have a friend who gives her bullies Nutrisca. It's made with chickpeas instead of potatoes and has done a world of good with her rescues. Hope you get Guinness' issues figured out. They can now allergy test with just sending out blood. Much better than how they used to do it. That way you would get a definitive answer to his allergies.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I homecook for my guys and Otis and Roxy get one meal a day of sweet potato mash and one meal of Earthborn Holistic. Abby's diet consists mainly of sweet potatoes which everyone knows can cause yeast buildup. To compensate for this I mix in a tablespoon of raw ACV with each meal. Nobody has ever had a yeast problem since we started this.

No red faces. No itchy feet. No tear stains.

Good luck in your search. I would agree with the others, an allergy test might be your best bet to eliminate all this trial and error you're suffering through

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads